pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Slowly but surely a small sys is being built. Socket A sys. Perhaps TB & XP. Econo mobo & componenets. It will be for a child or mostly internet.
My question is about the cases.
I was offered a new atx case (no power supply) for $5 CAD = less than $3 US.
Has wiring, removable side panels, speaker, normal small midtower bays and front accesses. In back it has pushouts. No usb in front. Still, only $3. Can I use this case or am I overlooking something major?
Thanks

Are we really ready for "contact" ?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
a few pictures of the case would help to know, or the brand/model of it. Some no name cases are just awful, no place for a fan to circulate the air so it becomes real hot during use, size problem so have a hard time to use cd-rom in bays, power supply way below minimum (power or quality, maybe even both). But you might get lucky. Saving on the case not always a good deal.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

G

Gee whiz for three bucks even if it's garbage you didn't lose much.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Unless its an older case,most are designed for todays type use.Mid towers can become cramped if enough stuff is installed in them.Check out prices of power supplies,and then prices of a comparable case.........:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Ok guys thanks.
Have taken afew measurments:
H: 16 "
D: 15 1/4 "
W: 8 "
The inside bays are:
W: 5 15/16 "
H: 6 7/8 "
for 4 fullsized components (supposedly)
and
W: 4 1/4 "
H: 3 1/2 "
for 2 smallsized components (one is of course lined up for floppy)
A little worried about PSU space:
H: 3 7/16 "
W: 6 13/16"

Absolutly no markings on this case. If there ever was a noname case, this is it.
Yes, it is cheap. The sheat metal is thin.
With two side covers off it seems to weigh less than 5 pounds, very light stuff.
It has the ATX back plate and in a bag with mobo holders and srews also has a AT back plate.
It was in an original shipping box with only "Toronto/Canada" and "item: 676-4h4" on the box. Oh, it had an ink stamp of a date: 2001-10-04 .Most likely a mass production product from who knows where.
Well if the case has everything within specs, perhaps I could use it, with care, and use the $ save from that $3 expense towards a better quality PSU, and case fan.
Have a second ATX sys with a case fan that drives me crasy it is so noisy. No more noisy fans. What's the use of silent DD and CD-Roms when the damn case fan is so loud.
Thanks again for your comments
:)

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Case:
H: 16 " <font color=green>around average</font color=green>
D: 15 1/4 " <font color=green>make sure you can use the bays and the cd rom doesn't touch anything on the motherboard, pretty tight there</font color=green>
W: 8 " <font color=green>average</font color=green>

If it's so light then you can take it for power supply shopping, leave the covers at home, that way it's sure that it fit.

Case fans are great to keep your case temperature down, you'll see. Silent is good but hot. If nothing else then just put 1 case fan in it.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Right, did'nt even think of that, I will bring the case to the pc shop, it is really light enough for that.
Thanks for the idea!