Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Next Gen Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 5:14:19 AM

Hello Tomshardware community :hello:  I've been planning on building a computer for about a month now. Researching etc. I recently heard the rumors of the Nvidia 700 series and AMD 8000 series being released quite soon. I'm really stuck on whether I should buy my parts for my new computer now or stick it out and wait a couple of months for the new cards and possibly haswell. I have about $1100 - $1200 to spend on parts AT THE MOMENT. Now I could spend the money I have now on a complete build and not get the greatest components. OR I could spend the money all on high grade parts EXCEPT a graphics card and use my ancient 9400 gt card or buy a used card off of eBay then when the time rolls around I'll have enough saved up for the new series and have the best of the best. What should I do :??: 

OR I could build my computer now, grab a gtx 670 and possibly sli it and then when Maswell comes around in 2014 dish out money and buy that.

Also do you guys think it would be smart to wait for Haswell? Or just stick with ivy bridge.

Help me out guys! Thanks

More about : gen cards

a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:23:16 AM

Potential said:
Hello Tomshardware community :hello:  I've been planning on building a computer for about a month now. Researching etc. I recently heard the rumors of the Nvidia 700 series and AMD 8000 series being released quite soon. I'm really stuck on whether I should buy my parts for my new computer now or stick it out and wait a couple of months for the new cards and possibly haswell. I have about $1100 - $1200 to spend on parts AT THE MOMENT. Now I could spend the money I have now on a complete build and not get the greatest components. OR I could spend the money all on high grade parts EXCEPT a graphics card and use my ancient 9400 gt card or buy a used card off of eBay then when the time rolls around I'll have enough saved up for the new series and have the best of the best. What should I do :??: 

OR I could build my computer now, grab a gtx 670 and possibly sli it and then when Maswell comes around in 2014 dish out money and buy that.

Also do you guys think it would be smart to wait for Haswell? Or just stick with ivy bridge.

Help me out guys! Thanks

Stick with ivy bridge,wait for 700/8000 series=happy gaming..I wouldnt honestly buy anything untill amd/nv drops the first few high cards then we have a better view
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 124 U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:38:00 AM

I would stick with Ivy Bridge, Haswell only looks to be mainly a power efficiency upgrade rather than performance. Especially since it will be releasing around mid-year, which is too long to wait IMO.

Whether to wait for the new cards is up to you. While there's no official release date, most predictions and their previous timelines would say that the Radeon HD8000 series will release late January- March. While Nvidia will release the top end of the GTX700 series around May and then take the rest of the year to release the lower end cards.

Balance whether your willing to wait for more cash to get a better card (the fact they are new cards is bonus) or if you want mid-range performance now.
In a nutshell, do you want more performance later or less performance now?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:41:47 AM

manofchalk said:
I would stick with Ivy Bridge, Haswell only looks to be mainly a power efficiency upgrade rather than performance. Especially since it will be releasing around mid-year, which is too long to wait IMO.

Whether to wait for the new cards is up to you. While there's no official release date, most predictions and their previous timelines would say that the Radeon HD8000 series will release late January- March. While Nvidia will release the top end of the GTX700 series around May and then take the rest of the year to release the lower end cards.

Balance whether your willing to wait for more cash to get a better card (the fact they are new cards is bonus) or if you want mid-range performance now.

Hmm, I didnt know that about haswell honestly thanks for the heads up but i do agree with you with more performance in the long run. Even tho we got a small wait i do think the new gpus that come out will shape up nice im looking foward to update from my 660ti its doing a great job dont get me wrong but im looking for something better
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:46:06 AM

Best answer selected by Potential.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:49:47 AM

manofchalk said:

Thanks so much. You cleared up so much in my head. I'm just going to get high quality components now and use my 9400 gt. My birthday is coming up too so I'll use that money to help buy a high end gtx 700 card or 8000 card. And if I want I could buy a gtx 560 or a 7850 off of ebay and use that until the new series rolls around and then sell it. Thanks! :) 

And also in the meantime while I wait, I'll have enough money to buy a new monitor (Possibly 120HZ) and a new keyboard. Both of which I desperately need. I have a 2005 Dell keyboard which I've spilt over 50 drinks on and still works flawlessly (Something I shouldnt be proud of :lol:  ) And my monitor is a crappy walmart one and the max resolution on that is 1600 x 900.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:55:39 AM

Also one more question guys !! Do you think an 850W with 70 amps on the +12v rail will be fine for the new up and coming cards? Or do you think I should dish in the extra $40 bucks and get a 1050W PSU with 87 amps on the +12v rail? Keep in mind I'll be overclocking my CPU very high and I'll most likely be getting sli/crossfire for the new cards and will be overclocking those too. Thanks!
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 6:04:59 AM

A quality 750W should be more than enough for dual Crossfire/SLI, even with everything overclocked.

Graphics cards and processors will consume less power as the technology advances, what is enough for current cards will work for equivalent future cards just fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 6:06:56 AM

Potential said:
Thanks so much. You cleared up so much in my head. I'm just going to get high quality components now and use my 9400 gt. My birthday is coming up too so I'll use that money to help buy a high end gtx 700 card or 8000 card. And if I want I could buy a gtx 560 or a 7850 off of ebay and use that until the new series rolls around and then sell it. Thanks! :) 

And also in the meantime while I wait, I'll have enough money to buy a new monitor (Possibly 120HZ) and a new keyboard. Both of which I desperately need. I have a 2005 Dell keyboard which I've spilt over 50 drinks on and still works flawlessly (Something I shouldnt be proud of :lol:  ) And my monitor is a crappy walmart one and the max resolution on that is 1600 x 900.

Nice man congrats and happy early b-day
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:10:28 AM

manofchalk said:
A quality 750W should be more than enough for dual Crossfire/SLI, even with everything overclocked.

Graphics cards and processors will consume less power as the technology advances, what is enough for current cards will work for equivalent future cards just fine.

Alright thanks so much for all the help and correctly answering my questions instead of being a you know what like others :whistle:  If you don't mind, I'll PM you if I have anymore questions. Thanks!
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:12:31 AM

determinologyz said:
Nice man congrats and happy early b-day

Thanks! Have a great new year and thanks for your opinions earlier.
m
l
!