First time Build sub $1000 Multipurpose PC

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2013 9:18:10 PM

Hi guys,
Long time listener, first time caller. I finally convinced the wife to allow me to build myself a computer. I plan on buying/ordering the parts at the top of the week (2-25-2013) and hopefully I will have received them in time to build over the weekend. I want to build as cheap as possible, but I have to set a cap at $1000. The primary use will be Gaming first and foremost, if this box can blow my mind with amazing game play I'll be fine with that. Secondary uses will be CAD, Photo editing, general browsing, and school work if it can do these well that's fine, but if not no big deal. I'll have this in the front room with the TV so any HTCP features would be a nice bonus. I won't be buying a monitor, but I'll be using a small 1080p Samsung TV that I have. I've never built a PC before nor do I own a computer worthy of upgrading so this will be from the ground up. I'd like to use Windows 8 and have included it in the budget. I would prefer to order from Newegg.com and will also be buying some parts at the local Microcenter and Tigerdirect stores, I'm located in Houston, Tx. I'd like to overclock but it isn't a definite must at this point, but i would however like a definite upgrade path. Don't plan on using more than 1 Gpu. There isn't really a specific game I'm looking to play I plan to play and do a little bit of everything.

TLDR: First time builder gaming pc for under $1000 from the ground up.

Here's my list so far.

CPU: $190 + $30 warranty
Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
Microcenter has this for $190 which seems like a steal, if a cheaper cpu can provide as much power I'd be willing to change.

Cooler: $30
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
I decided that I would buy this at the local TD store as I have read that it is a monster and may not fit with the ram in the case, this way if there's any problems I can return it and pick up a different one same day.

Motherboard: $135 + $15 warranty
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
This was by far the hardest choice for me to make. This one is slightly more than I was hoping to spend but it seems to be more reliable in the long run. I don't really need so many bells and whistles but some things I would like to have are a reliable z77 board with a couple usb 3.0 and plenty of fan headers for the case.

Memory: $50
Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600
Another hard choice for me to make. I'd like to have 8 GB preferably 2 modules of 4gb. I don't think the heat spreaders are necessary as I have chosen a case with 4 fans, but i would gladly pick up cheaper ram without the heat spreaders if they aren't really a necessity.

Storage: $90
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
1 TB is fine for the meantime and, I'd like to get a WD Black Caviar because of the included 5yr warranty

Video Card: $180 + $20 warranty
Gigabyte GV-N65TOC-2GI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
I chose this because it seemed like a powerful card for a decent price I was going to get something along the lines of 7750, but i read that I shouldn't try to cut the cost with the graphics card.

Case: $50
Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3
I absolutely love this case for several reasons it has 4 fans, 2 usb 3.0, is fairly cheap, and I find it aesthetically pleasing as well. If at all possible I would like to use this case for sure.

Power Supply: $80
Rosewill FORTRESS-450W
I chose this PSU because it seems reliable, has solid, reviews, and is 80 plus platinum certified.

Optical Drive: $20
LITE-ON DVD Burner iHAS124-04
Cheapest one of the lot don't plan on using it much as I'd like to get most of my stuff from steam.

Operating System: $90
Windows 8 Operating System Software - 64-Bit, OEM
I know everyone gives this one a bad rap, but I've spent some decent time with it and I'm ok with it.

If it's possible I'd like to get an ssd for the OS but at this point my total cost is about $980. My wife insists that I get warranties for any part over $100 dollars which hurts my budget a lot, but I can't say I disagree since It is my first build and I'm not familiar with the return policies of said companies.

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post I've been thinking about building a pc for 2 years so I want to make sure I do it right. Thank you so much for reading.

Sp3ncek

More about : time build 1000 multipurpose

Best solution

February 23, 2013 9:23:37 PM

My wife insists that I get warranties for any part over $100 dollars which hurts my budget a lot.
???

every part already had its own warranty. no need to spend specific money on "warranty"

Cooler:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus ----> plus is old version. 212 EVO to go