New Build What graphics Card?!

xplosv1

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Im Building a new computer and im wondering what graphics card to put in it these are the other parts in it

Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P

Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD

Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1 OEM

Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1002FAEX

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

Intel Core i5 3570K

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wf2c

I want to spend less than $500

I wont be buying it for a while and will be using it for all types of gaming and thats all i know
Thanks in advance Xplosv1

Lokordd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I was going to suggest the same card. By far the best high end card for the money. BTW, personally I would change your PSU to a Corsair equivalent. Nice build BTW, you're going to love it!

Well do you plan on running two or more GPU's in the future? Because your PSU is overkill. For a HD7970 and that system you listed out a quality 500-600w PSU is more than enough.

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703036

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Corsair makes some good power supplies, but not all of their units are top quality. The ones that are top quality (AX, HX, TX v2) are actually manufactured by Seasonic. The whole "buy Corsair they are the best" sentiment is bologna. Do your research people. Don't jump off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

As far as a GPU goes, that Sapphire 7970 linked above is nice.

This is true, though I wouldn't personally tell forum posters to "do their own research" because if they were that way inclined, they probably wouldn't be asking in the first place - they'd be researching. So to save you some time researching, these are Seasonic-built:

XFX, Silverpower SP-Sxxx / SP-SxxxM / SP-SS lines, PC Power & Cooling Silencer series and Silencer Mk III series, and obviously any Seasonic-branded units.

As for the rest though, wait until the time comes to buy. If you're not buying now, there will probably be Radeon 8000s out when you do, maybe Intel's Haswell, maybe GTX700. This stuff changes all the time, so advice given now won't be relevant in a few months.

I was referring to the guy that said to get a corsair equivalent but didn't list a model or anything.

Yeah the TX's aren't bad. I run a TX750 (non-v2) also. It's a CWT unit. The thing with enthusiast PSU's is that they generally are built to last. I wouldn't buy a CX though because I've read too many sub-par reviews on them.

When I buy a power supply I like to do some research on it because they can make or break your system. JonnyGURU and HardwareSecrets do some comprehensive testing and reviews on PSUs.

I've been really surprised at some of these new Rosewill units being released and how high in quality they are for the price. I got this TX750 basically for free in a huge haul of parts from Craigslist where I sold the majority of the parts so I could keep some for free. This TX750 being one of them. If I did need to buy a PSU I might look into trying one of those Rosewill Capstones that are so highly regarded at various review sites. Would be nice to pick up a platinum rated PSU for under $100.

Don't think those are sold where I am - North America only far as I'm aware. I got a good deal on this TX850 though - cheaper than the TX750 :-D Didn't really need 850 watts, but some slight loss of relative efficiency wasn't really a concern. Bit more headroom for a bit less money!