Help! PC light flashes, nothing else

First off, the specs.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 8-Core Black Edition Processor Socket AM3+ FD8150FRGUBOX
Cooler: Stock
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6770
PSU: APEVIA WIN-500XSPX 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
HDD: WD Blue 320 GB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 16 MB Cache - WD3200AAKX
Case: NZXT Guardian Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Case 921RB-RL

Installed the system yesterday, no problems, up and running. CPU fan seemed to fluctuate a lot and get up to 5k rpm for no real reason. Realized I had too much arctic silver compound, so I pulled cooler off and dropped it down to a small glob, smaller than a pea. This didnt really seem to help the fan, as core temp was showing anywhere from 40c at idle, to 55c while playing Tera. I did finished my windows updates, started Tera back up to play, and temp went to 60c+ in no time. I was getting ready to shut it down in fear when it suddenly cut off. I let it cool down a while, tried to turn it back on, and all I get is the power light for a split second, and then nothing, no beeps, nada. Did some research, pulled all components tried to power, same thing. Pulled power supply, jumped green+ground with nothing but a case fan connected, NADA. Opened the PSU, fuse checked out ok, no visual signs of anything gone bad, but am I correct in assuming my PSU is dead? Any help would be appreciated, im at a loss of where to go from here besides shipping everything back to Amazon >.<
2 answers Last reply
More about help light flashes else
  1. Well, I see some people read this thread, but no responses, so here's a quick update in case you are in a similar boat looking for answers. I bit the bullet and ran to Best Buy and grabbed a new 520w PSU. Popped it in and my pc started right up, and fan speed seems to be more normal. So it seems I have answered my own question, but I am still concerned as to why this may have happened, and if I am still in danger of blowing out another PSU. If any pro's out there have any insight to what happened, feedback would be appreciated. I know enough about this stuff to get into trouble, but not enough to be safe. I really just want a gaming pc that can handle modern games with high/middle settings. I don't care about fps and all that junk, I just want to play on a stable system. I leave everything at default settings because I don't know enough about changing voltages and stuff. If anyone takes a look at my specs and see's anything alarming that doesn't mesh right, please let me know. BTW the new PSU I bought is a Dynex (cheapie but im on a budget atm) 520-Watt ATX power supply. Oh yes, the one thing that may have played a crucial role, or not, the CPU power socket on my board is 8 pin, my old PSU only had 4pin. I read multiple places that connecting only 4 pins was ok unless I was trying to do some major OC, but my new Dynex has option for 8 so I connected them all.
  2. Another update (talking to myself here haha) I realized the crazy fan speeds I was hearing was not actually the CPU cooler, but the power supply fan. My new fan goes hardcore fast/loud as soon as I kick a game on...I am worried once again, I don't want to blow another PSU, but not sure what is going on.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems