GTA San Andreas

Have been playing the brilliant GTA San Andreas for about a week now (ever
since its release) but this afternoon it has just halted and frozen the
computer with a blue screen. This happens at any time from one minute into
the game up to an hour but, confusingly, has only started to happen today
after a weeks solid trouble-free gaming?!
On resetting the system a little window pops up with a message saying that
Windows has recovered from a serious error and has written a log file file to
my TEMP directory. What do I do with that information?
Nothing else seems amiss with my system and all drivers etc. seem to be up
to date.
Any hints?
8 answers Last reply
More about andreas

    Hi Krasha,

    Since that problem just started happening recently, try a System Restore.

    How to use Windows XP System Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "krasha king" <krasha king@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A0F7395-EC3A-4E5C-B442-E2CE91831593@microsoft.com...
    | Have been playing the brilliant GTA San Andreas for about a week now (ever
    | since its release) but this afternoon it has just halted and frozen the
    | computer with a blue screen. This happens at any time from one minute into
    | the game up to an hour but, confusingly, has only started to happen today
    | after a weeks solid trouble-free gaming?!
    | On resetting the system a little window pops up with a message saying that
    | Windows has recovered from a serious error and has written a log file file to
    | my TEMP directory. What do I do with that information?
    | Nothing else seems amiss with my system and all drivers etc. seem to be up
    | to date.
    | Any hints?

    Okay. I got home and tried the System Restore back to a few days ago (a while
    before the blue screen problem) and played for over an hour before it did it
    again!

    Obviously I was several game saves back and playing 'forward' again but for
    some reason there I was staring at a blue screen.

    I've sent a error log to Rockstar Games but have yet to receive a reply.

    Anything else I might try?

    Ta,

    Graham

    Hi Krasha,

    Is the crash occurring in the same place in the game as before?
    If so, then Rockstar might have a game update to correct the
    issue, or you might be able to find a saved game online from
    another player who's reached just beyond the crash point.

    --

    "Krasha King" <Krasha King@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7DBC919-6252-421A-A961-38C8A78FB128@microsoft.com...
    | Okay. I got home and tried the System Restore back to a few days ago (a while
    | before the blue screen problem) and played for over an hour before it did it
    | again!
    |
    | Obviously I was several game saves back and playing 'forward' again but for
    | some reason there I was staring at a blue screen.
    |
    | I've sent a error log to Rockstar Games but have yet to receive a reply.
    |
    | Anything else I might try?
    |
    | Ta,
    |
    | Graham
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Thought I'd solved it by re-loading a few drivers because last night and for
    an hour this morning it ran with no problems but has just conked out again
    with a blue screen.
    I can't see that there is anything similar in the game that causes any of
    the crashes - it can be a little as a minute into the game or a couple of
    hours. I usually have time to play a bit further each time and save the game
    again.

    Does it help if I attach the Windows error file that is created?

    I'm still waiting for a reply from Rockstar.

    Thanks for any help

    Graham
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Krasha,

    The following applies to most games in general, and not just to the games that
    may be listed in the KB Article referred to in this post.

    SYMPTOMS:

    When you start or play any one of the games that is listed in the "Applies to" section, you may experience one or more of the
    following symptoms:

    ..The game stops responding.
    ..The game quits unexpectedly.
    ..The computer restarts unexpectedly.

    Additionally, you may receive the following error message after you receive the Gathering Exception Data dialog box:
    <Game Name>has encountered a problem and needs to close.

    RESOLUTION:

    Method 1: Restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure
    Method 2: Remove and Reinstall the Game
    Method 3: Adjust graphics hardware acceleration
    Method 4: Disable AGP Texturing in the DirectX Diagnostic tool
    Method 5: Temporarily disable the sound card in Windows
    Method 6: Lower sound acceleration
    Method 7 : Download and install the most recent version of DirectX
    Method 8: Update your video driver
    Method 9: Update your sound driver
    Method 10: Scan your computer for viruses
    Method 11: Remove spyware
    Method 12: Install the latest VIA chipset drivers
    Method 13: Create a new user account in Windows XP
    Method 14: Change the compatibility setting

    Detailed instructions and video clips are published at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;303032

    --

    "Krasha King" <KrashaKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EEAC196-2285-43D6-B6C0-30418B10E0A3@microsoft.com...
    | Thought I'd solved it by re-loading a few drivers because last night and for
    | an hour this morning it ran with no problems but has just conked out again
    | with a blue screen.
    | I can't see that there is anything similar in the game that causes any of
    | the crashes - it can be a little as a minute into the game or a couple of
    | hours. I usually have time to play a bit further each time and save the game
    | again.
    |
    | Does it help if I attach the Windows error file that is created?
    |
    | I'm still waiting for a reply from Rockstar.
    |
    | Thanks for any help
    |
    | Graham

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Jim,

    Well I worked my way through that entire list of stuff to try but amid a
    flurry of profanity it has just stopped at a blue screen again! Grrr!

    I got an answer from Rockstar which suggested that all my drivers and
    suchlike are up to date but I should update the firmware for my DVD drive
    which I've done but obviously to no effect. I'll try them again for a further
    suggestion but in the meantime this is just an excerpt from the error log
    that Windows creates - does it mean anything to you?

    Server=watson.microsoft.com
    UI LCID=1033
    Flags=1696082
    Brand=WINDOWS
    TitleName=Microsoft Windows
    DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
    HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
    Stage2URL=
    Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=1000000a&BCP1=FFFE8080&BCP2=00000002&BCP3=00000001&BCP4=806EE2DC&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=2_0&Product=768_1
    DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Graham\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7f2b.dir00\Mini062405-03.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Graham\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7f2b.dir00\sysdata.xml
    ErrorSubPath=blue
    DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Graham\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7f2b.dir00

    There is another couple of larger files created that I could forward somehow
    if that may help.

    Thanks for your help,

    Graham (Krasha) King
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Krasha,

    There are some good folks from Microsoft who have found time
    to analyse crash dump logs in the past, perhaps if you create a
    new thread reaching out for a Microsoft Crash Analysis, they
    might see your request and give your their email to forward it to.

    --

    "Krasha King" <KrashaKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:804B3175-107F-4373-9390-B76283F312DF@microsoft.com...
    | Hi Jim,
    |
    | Well I worked my way through that entire list of stuff to try but amid a
    | flurry of profanity it has just stopped at a blue screen again! Grrr!
    |
    | I got an answer from Rockstar which suggested that all my drivers and
    | suchlike are up to date but I should update the firmware for my DVD drive
    | which I've done but obviously to no effect. I'll try them again for a further
    | suggestion but in the meantime this is just an excerpt from the error log
    | that Windows creates - does it mean anything to you?
    |
    | Server=watson.microsoft.com
    | UI LCID=1033
    | Flags=1696082
    | Brand=WINDOWS
    | TitleName=Microsoft Windows
    | DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    | NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    | ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
    | HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
    | Stage2URL=

    Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=1000000a&BCP1=FFFE8080&BCP2=00000002&BCP3=00000001&BCP4=806EE2DC&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=2_0&Product=768_1

    DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Graham\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7f2b.dir00\Mini062405-03.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Graham\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7f2b.dir00\sysdata.xml
    | ErrorSubPath=blue
    | DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Graham\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7f2b.dir00
    |
    | There is another couple of larger files created that I could forward somehow
    | if that may help.
    |
    | Thanks for your help,
    |
    | Graham (Krasha) King
  8. :bounce: :pt1cable: