Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading HD 6970, $630 Budget, SLI GTX 660 Ti?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 10:52:51 AM

I know that the Radeon HD 6970 isn't that bad as far as cards go, but I want to upgrade. To cut it short, I was thinking 2x GTX 660 Ti's. I know this is probably overkill, but it is something I have always wanted to do, just for the sake of it. Thoughts?

On top of that, I have a Corsair 650TX power supply. I do not believe I can crossfire 2 6970's (not that I can find another to buy anyway), but using PSU calculators as reference, I think I could do 2 GTX 660 Ti's.

Here is some information I believe might be useful..

Current Hardware:
Radeon HD 6970
Corair 650TX ~1.5 years old, moderate to above average daily use.

What I'm looking at:
GeForce GTX660 Ti x2

I have about $600 to spend. I would like some input on what to get. As a side note, I live in TN and Newegg distributes from here, so I have pay nearly 10% sales tax. IE, really expensive things are even more expensive.

More about : upgrading 6970 630 budget sli gtx 660

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 10:57:14 AM

Just get a GTX 670.
You'll be happy with its Monstrous Performance... Really !

Its more than enough for 1080p.
And you can SLI them in future.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 11:05:58 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Just get a GTX 670.
You'll be happy with its Monstrous Performance... Really !

Its more than enough for 1080p.
And you can SLI them in future.

It's cool that you can SLI in the future. BUT it would most likely pay better off selling the old GPU and get the latest when it's time to upgrade. WHO actually SLI in the future, it's just something you say, but it never EVER happens. If he would SLI in a month or so, then it would be a good idea.

It's about getting the best possible for the Money right now.

Not to say your idea is bad, I'm soon getting GTX 670. And I'm looking forward to it. :) 
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 11:08:12 AM

I agree with Sumukh_Bhagat. Get a high end card like the 670 or HD7970 and you'll be happy with result
Score
January 14, 2013 11:13:50 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
It's cool that you can SLI in the future. BUT it would most likely pay better off selling the old GPU and get the latest when it's time to upgrade. WHO actually SLI in the future, it's just something you say, but it never EVER happens. If he would SLI in a month or so, then it would be a good idea.

It's about getting the best possible for the Money right now.

Not to say your idea is bad, I'm soon getting GTX 670. And I'm looking forward to it. :) 

I totally agreed with you; most people will not upgrade to SLI in the "near future" (if they manage to find the same card or a compatible one; count me on it :p ) and like you said, if its a month or so; then they'll probably better wait that month or so, and save the money and then buy bought cards, problem solved! :D 

Score
January 15, 2013 4:29:23 AM

Best answer selected by bsofdth.
Score
!