Freeze

all games that i play on my computer eventually cause my computer to lock up,
or freeze after an hour or so, forcing me to reboot. i think i have plenty of
memory and the freeze happens even when playing online games like alchemy.
otherwise my computer runs great. any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi Jcop,

"jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56786220-C44F-4424-9C7F-F6FEA3398C5A@microsoft.com...
| all games that i play on my computer eventually cause my computer to lock up,
| or freeze after an hour or so, forcing me to reboot. i think i have plenty of
| memory and the freeze happens even when playing online games like alchemy.
| otherwise my computer runs great. any ideas on how to fix this?

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jcop,
>
> "jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56786220-C44F-4424-9C7F-F6FEA3398C5A@microsoft.com...
> | all games that i play on my computer eventually cause my computer to lock up,
> | or freeze after an hour or so, forcing me to reboot. i think i have plenty of
> | memory and the freeze happens even when playing online games like alchemy.
> | otherwise my computer runs great. any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
> errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
>
> Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
> I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)
>
> 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
> For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
> Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk
>
> 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
> and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
> Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
> heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
> Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
>
> 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
> and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
> wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
> http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
>
> 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>
> thanks jimmy s. i tried to remove direct x and got all the way through the process, but at the end it said the removal was "unsuccessful". i tried again and it couldn't find it (perhaps it actually was successsfully removed?). i then installed microsoft's direct x but it that process was almost instantaneous, leaving me wondering if i had actually done anything. i tried playing a game but it froze as per usual. unless you have any more ideas about direct x removal/install i plan on moving on to the chipset and drivers today. thank you for your help.

Have you tried removing DirectX while in safemode?
Ellliot

> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Jcop,
>>
>> "jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> | all games that i play on my computer eventually cause my computer to
>> lock up,
>> | or freeze after an hour or so, forcing me to reboot. i think i have
>> plenty of
>> | memory and the freeze happens even when playing online games like
>> alchemy.
>> | otherwise my computer runs great. any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
>> Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
>> errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
>>
>> Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
>> I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)
>>
>> 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
>> For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
>> Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk
>>
>> 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
>> and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
>> Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
>> heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
>> Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
>>
>> 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
>> and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
>> wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
>> http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
>>
>> 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
>> Contact
>> MS Support at:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
>> rights.
>>
>> thanks jimmy s. i tried to remove direct x and got all the way through
>> the process, but at the end it said the removal was "unsuccessful". i
>> tried again and it couldn't find it (perhaps it actually was
>> successsfully removed?). i then installed microsoft's direct x but it
>> that process was almost instantaneous, leaving me wondering if i had
>> actually done anything. i tried playing a game but it froze as per usual.
>> unless you have any more ideas about direct x removal/install i plan on
>> moving on to the chipset and drivers today. thank you for your help.

Hi Jcop69,

Rather than removing DirectX, try reinstalling Service Pack 2,
and also move forward to the other suggestions in that post.

--

"jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA1A4982-DFC0-4A8A-8B3A-BF603AFD7210@microsoft.com...

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Jcop,
| >
| > "jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56786220-C44F-4424-9C7F-F6FEA3398C5A@microsoft.com...
| > | all games that i play on my computer eventually cause my computer to lock up,
| > | or freeze after an hour or so, forcing me to reboot. i think i have plenty of
| > | memory and the freeze happens even when playing online games like alchemy.
| > | otherwise my computer runs great. any ideas on how to fix this?
| >
| > Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
| > errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
| >
| > Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
| > I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)
| >
| > 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
| > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
| > Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk
| >
| > 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
| > and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
| > Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
| > heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
| > Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
| >
| > 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
| > and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
| > wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
| > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
| >
| > 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > thanks jimmy s. i tried to remove direct x and got all the way through the process, but at the end it said the removal was
"unsuccessful". i tried again and it couldn't find it (perhaps it actually was successsfully removed?). i then installed microsoft's
direct x but it that process was almost instantaneous, leaving me wondering if i had actually done anything. i tried playing a game
but it froze as per usual. unless you have any more ideas about direct x removal/install i plan on moving on to the chipset and
drivers today. thank you for your help.

reinstalling service pack 2 didn't work, but the innards of my computer was
caked with dust and i cleaned it all out. i played a game for many hours and
it didn't freeze, so it looks like the problem is solved for now. thank you
for your help.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jcop69,
>
> Rather than removing DirectX, try reinstalling Service Pack 2,
> and also move forward to the other suggestions in that post.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA1A4982-DFC0-4A8A-8B3A-BF603AFD7210@microsoft.com...
> |

> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Jcop,

> | > Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
> | > errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
> | >
> | > Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
> | > I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)
> | >
> | > 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
> | > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
> | > Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk
> | >
> | > 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
> | > and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
> | > Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
> | > heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
> | > Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
> | >
> | > 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
> | > and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
> | > wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
> | > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
> | >
> | > 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________
> | >
> | > thanks jimmy s. i tried to remove direct x and got all the way through the process, but at the end it said the removal was
> "unsuccessful". i tried again and it couldn't find it (perhaps it actually was successsfully removed?). i then installed microsoft's
> direct x but it that process was almost instantaneous, leaving me wondering if i had actually done anything. i tried playing a game
> but it froze as per usual. unless you have any more ideas about direct x removal/install i plan on moving on to the chipset and
> drivers today. thank you for your help.

I'm glad we were able to help you! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1EEFD300-BE1B-4EA4-BB62-C9EE88F92C4A@microsoft.com...
| reinstalling service pack 2 didn't work, but the innards of my computer was
| caked with dust and i cleaned it all out. i played a game for many hours and
| it didn't freeze, so it looks like the problem is solved for now. thank you
| for your help.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Jcop69,
| >
| > Rather than removing DirectX, try reinstalling Service Pack 2,
| > and also move forward to the other suggestions in that post.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "jcop69" <jcop69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA1A4982-DFC0-4A8A-8B3A-BF603AFD7210@microsoft.com...
| > |
| > |
| > |