[Solved] Can't provide power to GTX650ti

LSDxButtCheekzz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I just recently got a GeForce GTX650ti 2gb and I can't seem to provide any extra power to it. I have an HP Pavilion p-2120 and there aren't any 6-pins to plug into the gpu; there doesn't seem to be anywhere to plug in the molex cables on my molex 6-pin either. This seems to be the only problem. The card is installed fine and the fan runs, but it doesn't show up in my display adapters and when I connect my VGA cable to the card the screen won't appear. I think the problem is the power supply to the gpu but I'm not positive.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Always one of the things you find LSD with pre built systems, only ever made to the specs of the built system, with little option for upgrades, a weak small Psu with the lowest power rating to run the current hardware fitted.
I hate to insult you but this why people build there own systems and choose the Hardware to build a Pc. Pre built systems always have a lack of thought put into them, and limitation because they simply expect you to ditch it after a few years and by a whole new system from them.

They do it on purpose.

In any case now you will have to buy a more modern Psu with a better wattage rating and a higher Amp rating on the Psu on the 12v rails to get everything working right, plus due to the design of the case and its dimensional specs it may cause problems in fitting a new psu into the case. As well as buying the card you now have to buy a new Psu. so the cost mounts. One of the main reasons why people prefer to build there own systems is because they want to make sure when it comes along there will be no problem like this, knowing it will cope with the next upgrade or part they choose to fit. Spending less money for example having to buy a new PSU and a graphics card to get it to work right.

LSDxButtCheekzz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Bear with me, I'm not very good at finding specs but is this enough.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p6-2120
BIOS: Ver: HO2_710.ROM vHO27.10
Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5608MB RAM
Page File: 3098MB used, 8116MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Specs are fine LSD, its just the PSU as said that is letting you down.
Here are the specs on the graphics card you bought, its power draw in watts at full load when playing a game ect, and the amp rating it also requires from a 12v power rail for it to run stable without crashing the card or the rest of the system.

You will need a Psu of 500w minimum that can provide 31A or more on the 12v rails of the Psu. So have a good check on the specs of the Psu, Good known brands to buy are ocz, Silver stone, corsair. Try to sick with these I know they may be expensive.
But cheaper unbranded Psu supplys for $40 or less more than often dont live up to the specs they state on the information sticker of its output in amps or wattage. And also have less safety features such as overload protection, and other features. In the long run it pays to buy a quality well branded Psu for peace of mind LSD.

Geforce 650ti.

Thermal and Power Specs:
105 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
110 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)
400 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)4
One 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors