Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 2:32:23 PM

I recently bought a new graphics card for my media center computer (my last one died on me) and I knew it was going to be a tight fit. In order to allow the graphic card to slide into the PCI slot on my MicroATX motherboard, I need to remove the wires that go from my hard drive into the SATA0 slot.

I saw that there are 6 SATA slots on my motherboard: 2 slots labeled SATA0, 2 slots labeled SATA2 and 2 slots labeled SATA3. I tried simply placing my hard drive's wire into the SATA2 slot but it didn't seem to work. Is there any way I can connect my hard drives to any other slot of my motherboard? I have looked at angled SATA wires but the clip will not fit underneath the graphics card.

Thanks!

More about : zotac geforce gtx 560 tight fit

a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 93 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 2:37:45 PM

i am sure it is SATA, not SETA

it should be no problem putting your HDD to any sata port.... try putting it without graphic card installed
Score
January 6, 2013 2:52:38 PM

Oh yes it's SATA of course, I've been mixing them up a lot. The onboard video on my motherboard has never really worked so I can't see if windows is starting without a graphics card. The computer SOUNDS like it's starting up perfectly with or without the graphics card installed though.
Score
Related resources
a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 93 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:00:38 PM

placing GPU will confuse you, which one is failed, i am pretty sure it is not the sata ports.... the GPU itself may failed or just dont have enough power to work well. what is your PSU brand and wattage?
Score
January 6, 2013 3:02:50 PM

I'm not quite sure what my PSU brand is, I don't know where to find that. My power supply is 350W.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:07:06 PM

In BIOS you should have the option to choose which SATA port to boot from.
Score
January 6, 2013 3:11:22 PM

Mousemonkey said:
In BIOS you should have the option to choose which SATA port to boot from.

Sorry, I'm new to this. I don't understand how I can access the BIOS to change the settings if I am not able to see anything on screen in the first place. It would be great if it is just an issue with the settings rather than a hardware issue :) 
Score

Best solution

a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 93 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:18:25 PM

hell yeah 350W will not enough to power gt 560

power shortage :shakehand
you need to buy corsair 500-600w
a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 93 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:20:08 PM

btw dont try once again to power on your machine as it has potential to fail all together
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:23:16 PM

AMD Radeon said:
hell yeah 350W will not enough to power gt 560

power shortage :shakehand
you need to buy corsair 500-600w

Good point, I didn't see that bit.
Score
January 6, 2013 3:26:49 PM

Oh okay thank you very much, I doubt that I am going to buy a new power supply since I have absolutely no clue on how to do that and I'm not interested in spending any more money. Can I get a quick recommendation for graphics card that can run somewhat modern games on a 350W power supply? If there is one at least.

Edit: Actually, I checked online and found that I could get a 550W power supply for less than $30. If I can manage to swap the power supply, would this be enough?
Score
a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 93 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:39:36 PM

Edit: Actually, I checked online and found that I could get a 550W power supply for less than $30. If I can manage to swap the power supply, would this be enough?

NO, i will assume that 550 at 30usd is a cr*p one. you could get a save PSU from following list :
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1450sx2b...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu...

430w from corsair is the minimun you can get
Score
January 6, 2013 3:41:26 PM

Best answer selected by WestKnight3.
Score
January 6, 2013 3:43:42 PM

Okay thanks for the tip! Following the first link, would 430W Corsair be enough to run the graphics card? It doesn't seem like that much of a difference from the 350W that is installed now.
Score
a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 93 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 3:47:05 PM

corsair is best quality PSU... their 430W is not the same as you see from another oem PSU
Score
January 6, 2013 3:53:47 PM

Okay thank you very much for all of your help! I selected your reply earlier as the answer :) . I think I will order that power supply soon, thank you for clarifiying everything for me it was a huge help and I don't think I could have figured it all out otherwise.
Score
!