Problem with Pioneer Elite CD Player: PD-F27

Last response: in Home Audio
April 21, 2004 12:49:54 PM

I bought a Pioneer Elite PD-F27 [301 disc] CD player a couple of months ago
and found that it suddenly stops playing a cd and returns to the starting
position where the readout gives the correct cd number but track 0, time
elapsed 0. It sits there, then after a minute starts playing the cd from
the beginning again. This averages maybe every fourth or fifth cd;
sometimes in spurts and sometimes long stretches where it is well-behaved.

I read on audioreview.com at least one reviewer had a similar problem. What
is anyone's experience with the Elite's warranty? Has anyone here who works
on Pioneer Elite equipment heard of these units having problems like this?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:53:45 PM

Normally these should have a one year warranty. Call your dealer to make the
arrangement to have the unit serviced. This can be anything from something
failing in the laser unit, to something going wrong in the processor area.
Going by your description, for some reason the processor is executing a
reset. This type of problem takes the proper know-how, and diags equipment
to determine, and service.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"your name here" <Your.@name.com> wrote in message
I bought a Pioneer Elite PD-F27 [301 disc] CD player a couple of months ago
and found that it suddenly stops playing a cd and returns to the starting
position where the readout gives the correct cd number but track 0, time
elapsed 0. It sits there, then after a minute starts playing the cd from
the beginning again. This averages maybe every fourth or fifth cd;
sometimes in spurts and sometimes long stretches where it is well-behaved.

I read on audioreview.com at least one reviewer had a similar problem. What
is anyone's experience with the Elite's warranty? Has anyone here who works
on Pioneer Elite equipment heard of these units having problems like this?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:40:54 PM

I think the Elite is a 2-year warranty.

Mark Z.

"your name here" <Your.@name.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Pioneer Elite PD-F27 [301 disc] CD player a couple of months
ago
> and found that it suddenly stops playing a cd and returns to the starting
> position where the readout gives the correct cd number but track 0, time
> elapsed 0. It sits there, then after a minute starts playing the cd from
> the beginning again. This averages maybe every fourth or fifth cd;
> sometimes in spurts and sometimes long stretches where it is well-behaved.
>
> I read on audioreview.com at least one reviewer had a similar problem.
What
> is anyone's experience with the Elite's warranty? Has anyone here who
works
> on Pioneer Elite equipment heard of these units having problems like this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
April 22, 2004 7:58:26 AM

This sounds like, from the little infomation you supplied, of a problem
of the "relective laser/pit issue" -
Do you find this problem only with CD-R or/and CD-RW?
If so, it is a known issue, and there is little you can do about it!
Your "pre-owned" Pioneer Elite is from an age, when the Laser machanism
was of a calibre' configured to read specifically the S/P digital interface
as specified for professional/commercially produced software............
If you have found this problem only occurs with disks you have burnt
on either your PC or a domestic "HiFi" CD recorder unit, then you have
a cd player that cannot focus accurately onto the lesser reflective layer
of such media that has been burnt via a PC/Domestic recorder!
There are some such media such as Sony and Phillips blank CD-R's
that "Behave" better then the cheaper "untitled" brands, but basically
there is Not much that can be done to remedy the situation, if it is indeed
a problem that only occurs with "domestically" burned CD media.........
In Google search, type: "CD player Playback problems with PC burned
media" to receive a detailed explaination of this issue..........

"your name here" <Your.@name.com> wrote in message
I bought a Pioneer Elite PD-F27 [301 disc] CD player a couple of months ago
and found that it suddenly stops playing a cd and returns to the starting
position where the readout gives the correct cd number but track 0, time
elapsed 0. It sits there, then after a minute starts playing the cd from
the beginning again. This averages maybe every fourth or fifth cd;
sometimes in spurts and sometimes long stretches where it is well-behaved.

I read on audioreview.com at least one reviewer had a similar problem. What
is anyone's experience with the Elite's warranty? Has anyone here who works
on Pioneer Elite equipment heard of these units having problems like this?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:24:40 AM

Utter nonsense. The Elite player has a problem. It can be fixed. Period.

BTW I am an authorized Pioneer servicer.

ANY properly burned disc should play in any properly functioning player,
with virtually NO exceptions.

Mark Z.

"cherrybarb100" <cherrybarb100@NOSPAMlinuxmail.org> wrote in message
> This sounds like, from the little infomation you supplied, of a problem
> of the "relective laser/pit issue" -
> Do you find this problem only with CD-R or/and CD-RW?
> If so, it is a known issue, and there is little you can do about it!
> Your "pre-owned" Pioneer Elite is from an age, when the Laser machanism
> was of a calibre' configured to read specifically the S/P digital
interface
> as specified for professional/commercially produced software............
> If you have found this problem only occurs with disks you have burnt
> on either your PC or a domestic "HiFi" CD recorder unit, then you have
> a cd player that cannot focus accurately onto the lesser reflective layer
> of such media that has been burnt via a PC/Domestic recorder!
> There are some such media such as Sony and Phillips blank CD-R's
> that "Behave" better then the cheaper "untitled" brands, but basically
> there is Not much that can be done to remedy the situation, if it is
indeed
> a problem that only occurs with "domestically" burned CD media.........
> In Google search, type: "CD player Playback problems with PC burned
> media" to receive a detailed explaination of this issue..........
>

> "your name here" <Your.@name.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Pioneer Elite PD-F27 [301 disc] CD player a couple of months
ago
> and found that it suddenly stops playing a cd and returns to the starting
> position where the readout gives the correct cd number but track 0, time
> elapsed 0. It sits there, then after a minute starts playing the cd from
> the beginning again. This averages maybe every fourth or fifth cd;
> sometimes in spurts and sometimes long stretches where it is well-behaved.
>
> I read on audioreview.com at least one reviewer had a similar problem.
What
> is anyone's experience with the Elite's warranty? Has anyone here who
works
> on Pioneer Elite equipment heard of these units having problems like this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:32:25 AM

P.S.