Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 for Autodesk Inventor 3d modeling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 5:13:52 PM

Hello everyone, I've been sitting back reading topics here for months and decided to make my first post. I'm about to attempt my first PC build. I have everything except a Video Card and operating system. I'm a Mechanical Engineer specializing in Machine Design. I use Autodesk Inventor for 95% of my design work and also use some AutoCad. I've only used workstation video cards in the past with Autodesk Inventor. Currently I'm using a Nvidia Quadro 4000 on my work PC. Now that I'm building a PC for home, I'm planning on going with a gaming card. I will be doing some design work at home but I may get into some gaming.
I've been looking at the EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 4GB cards but I don't know if I should be sticking with the reference card or if I should be looking at the FTW+ or the Classified since I'm not an big time gamer. My thoughts are to go all out and get the Classified, more is better?? and since it's their top of the line 680 card but I'm not sure if their are any negatives or drawbacks to doing that if my primary focus is using the 3D Solid Modeling Software.
The graphics card will be paid for by the company I work, up to $600.00, so money is not an issue, so no need to save a few bucks and get a 2GB version. I would appreciate any feedback and especially from anyone running gaming cards using Autodesk Inventor. This will be my first time running a gaming card with this software. Below are the components of my build I have purchased so far.

Corsair 650D case
Corsair AX850 Power Supply
Intel i7 3770K CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB motherboard
Crucial 32GB DDR3 1600 Ballistix Tactical 4x8
Samsung 840 pro series 256GB SSD
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
(need operating system)
(need graphics card)
(need monitors)
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:43:22 PM

dont expect the same performance boost compared to quadro, gtx isnt optimized for autodesk
Related resources
January 6, 2013 5:53:52 PM

I'd also put these questions into Quadro (or FirePro) forums - just to see how the 600 series accelerates these programs. Note that, compared to the 500 series, the 600 has 'degraded' cuda/dc capabilities.
January 6, 2013 9:48:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Mesab66... are the Quadro forums you speak of here at Tom's or somewhere else? Could you post a link?

Is it possible to get the best of both worlds in one pc, Gaming and Professional Graphics?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 9:57:11 PM

honestly you are buying a graphics card for gaming. idk how big your assemblies are going to be but in my experience with Pro/e the gpu really hasnt made a difference. i have gone from integrated graphics to a quadro 4000m and i never could tell a difference and i was dealing with huge assemblies with over 1-2 thousand parts.

just get a lot of vram as well.
!