Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB on an asus rampage IV Formula

BoltHead513

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
im planning to put this together in a week. i will be running 3x crossfire and i was wondering if this would fit or if i should go with the

extreme which is an EATX. from what i have gathered it seems to be a rather large card. this will be put in a HAF X so EATX is

supported.

P.S. i plan to overclock which is the extremes main draw, but probably not to the extent to where it would be needed

Thx in advance :)

Solution
If you plan on water-cooling the cards, dont bother investing in ones with a great cooler strapped on. The XFX cards (if they use a reference PCB and are voltage unlocked, make sure of both) are likely the best option.
Chances are they are a lot cheaper than the Sapphire's as well.
I think youl have issues with the Extreme board as well. Recently helped someone who has a very similar setup (same case, same Vapor-X cards, same case) and he ran into issues with slot spacing. The cards are technically dual slot, but intrude halfway into the 3rd slot.

2pragb7.jpg

2m5cj0l.jpg

Also you would have to run the cards right on each other, the fans will be choked for air by doing so.

BoltHead513

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card

this card doesnt seem to have such large fans. would you think this would be better? i plan to add water cooling to the cards

and OCing them but that wont be for a few months.

If you plan on water-cooling the cards, dont bother investing in ones with a great cooler strapped on. The XFX cards (if they use a reference PCB and are voltage unlocked, make sure of both) are likely the best option.
Chances are they are a lot cheaper than the Sapphire's as well.

Solution