Help selecting a router as wireless access point

donfm

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
My wired home network is not presently cutting edge and I don't even have any wireless N capable devices but a laser printer. I would like to add wireless capability to my home network with a wireless access point. Seems the cost of an access point router is cheaper and more versatile than the cost of a dedicated WAP so that is what I want to try. I need some suggestions for a router with decent coverage to use in this manner.

My present speed needs are pretty basic and I don't need blazing 450 Mbs speed. I do internet surfing....streaming video....and some online file sharing. While I don't have any wireless N capable devices I'd like the capability to use them as I gradually upgrade my equipment.

It's been suggested to me to try a Buffalo Airstation....Linksys E4200V1 Refurb.....D-Link Dir 655 as some possible router access points. I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck here and still get the results I'm seeking. So how about it any bargain suggestions with gigabit capability for the future? My home is a ranch style and rather long in nature. I need good coverage and may even have to eventually go with 2 access points to get it.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

donfm

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks for the comment.....I was considering the DIR-655. Just have to find it on sale some place.

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hi donfm,

I read your needs which seems to be very basic. And for this I would not suggest to spend couple of hundred dollars as investment. You may go for a basic but advance wi-fi router with b/g/n as they give 300Mbps speed. The examples which you have mentioned above are quite expensive some of them. And getting a refurbished is not at all required. You have affordable routers below $70.

Check online and search. I am sure you will get decent results. One of them would be a company called Securifi, who have a new router with touchscreen. You may check as www.securifi.com.