Remote for older Reciever

I'm trying to find a remote control for an older Pioneer VSX-406 reciever. I
bought the unit off of eBay and didn't realize so many important fuctions
could only be accessed by the remote.

What are my options? Do I have to find a remote meant for this reciever, or
can I find some kind of universal remote? Anybody know of a place that has
old remotes, or where I could find one? thanks

trey

(sorry if this shows up twice... )
4 answers Last reply
More about remote older reciever

    A 10 second Google search of

    Pioneer VSX-406 remote

    revealed hundreds of hits, including this link where you can buy the remote
    that you need.

    http://www.dvdremotecontrols.com/Mfrs/Pioneer/PioneerAudio.htm

    Please let us know if this helps.

    --James--

    Thanks guys, I actually saw a couple of those online places, but.... man,
    $40 for the remote? I only paid $35 for the reciever! I guess maybe the
    thing to do is keep an eye on eBay or something. Anybody know if something
    like this would work?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3092865997

    I don't know how much the communications stuff between remote vs reciever
    changed with each new model...

    trey

    "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

    > A 10 second Google search of
    >

    > Pioneer VSX-406 remote
    >

    > revealed hundreds of hits, including this link where you can buy the
    remote
    > that you need.
    >

    > http://www.dvdremotecontrols.com/Mfrs/Pioneer/PioneerAudio.htm
    >
    > Please let us know if this helps.
    >

    > --James--

    "Trey Bradshaw" wrote ...
    > Thanks guys, I actually saw a couple of those online places, but.... man,
    > $40 for the remote? I only paid $35 for the reciever! I guess maybe the
    > thing to do is keep an eye on eBay or something.

    It is usually good practice to reveal this information to avoid
    exactly what happened. There are so many people that come
    through these places that are too ignorant or too lazy to try the
    obvious solution first.

    > A nybody know if something like this would work?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3092865997
    >
    > I don't know how much the communications stuff between remote vs reciever
    > changed with each new model...

    Looks promising to me. After buying a "universal" (but Sony brand)
    remote for my $12 Goodwill TV, I discovered that while it had
    dozens of buttons for VCRs, etc. NONE of the secondary functions
    (brightness, contrast, color, etc.) were functional.

    I had to go to one of the remote control specialty stores to get
    a proper unit and yes, it cost more than the TV, but the combination
    of both was still a great bargain. Sony had stopped making the remote,
    but they (remotes.com IIRC) were selling the OEM unit that looked
    exactly like the Sony, but without the name stamped on it. I was quite
    pleased.

    Buy a $30-40 Radio Shack 6 or 8-in one remote, and you can program it
    to run most or all of your audio and video devices -- which might
    make the cost worthwhile to you.

    --

    -S.

    "They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
    -- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Audio