Sign in with
Your question

Crossfiring HD 6850's makes NO FPS difference?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 6:45:14 PM

Recently, i Crossfired my HD 6850's (Note one of them is a Sapphire HD 6850 Toxic and the other a regular Sapphire HD 6850, the Toxic is just a little overclocked). I tested my FPS with Crossfire on and off in ArmA II DayZ and PlanetSide 2 and saw NO FPS difference. About 30 FPS in PS2 reguardless and the same in ArmA II. My CPU isn't bottlenecking because i even upgraded from my AMD Phenom II x4 985 @ 3.8 GHz to a new AMD Vishera x6 6300 @ 4.1 GHz to continue with no change.

Details:
1. A x16 and x8 PCI 2 slots. (All sources say x8 and x16 is only a 1-2 FPS difference.
2. Crossfire Enabled in AMD CCC.
3. Latest Drivers
4. Bridge connected
5. PWS is 700w
6. AMD Vishera 6300 6 core @ 4.1 GHz
7. 8gb ddr3 RAM
8. Windows 7 64 bit

What i Tried:
1. The basic crap (Restarting computer, setting default, messing with Bios)
2. Different Crossfire bridges
3. Swapping card positions
4. Making sure one card isn't dead by trying them each individually
5. Reinstalling AMD drivers
6. Switching which card is displaying
7. Downloading AMD Application Profiles but it keeps saying i need to restart first every time i try to download after restarting my PC.

Also: AMD Overdrive only detects one card but GPU-z and CCC detect both.

Please help! i'm going crazy :cry: 
January 6, 2013 6:51:51 PM

That sounds an awful lot like a CPU bottleneck... and the move from a 3.8 GHz Deneb to a 4.1 GHz Vishera isn't much of an upgrade. I wouldn't necessarily expect you to be CPU-bound on just a pair of 6850s, though...

Anyways, have you tried using MSI Afterburner and monitoring your GPU usage in-game? That will tell you what % of each GPU is being used. If you see something like 95%/0%, it means crossfire is broken, but if you see something like 60%/60%, it could mean you have a CPU bottleneck going on.
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:55:47 PM

BigMack70 said:
That sounds an awful lot like a CPU bottleneck... and the move from a 3.8 GHz Deneb to a 4.1 GHz Vishera isn't much of an upgrade. I wouldn't necessarily expect you to be CPU-bound on just a pair of 6850s, though...

Anyways, have you tried using MSI Afterburner and monitoring your GPU usage in-game? That will tell you what % of each GPU is being used. If you see something like 95%/0%, it means crossfire is broken, but if you see something like 60%/60%, it could mean you have a CPU bottleneck going on.

Ill try it...
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 7:01:24 PM

You should check out what your scores are in 3dmark11 or GPU-demanding games, as well, as those may just be CPU-intensive games (I know planetside 2 is).

And I'm assuming we're talking about a decent resolution e.g. 1920x1080?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 7:02:50 PM

I know ArmaII is well known as being hugely CPU bound. It is also possible it has a FPS limiter built in. I don't know about Planet Side 2.

Looking for benchmarks for Planetside 2, I found this: http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/188-planetside-2-per...

Clearly this game does not like AMD CPU's at all.

m
l
January 6, 2013 7:06:29 PM

BigMack70 said:
You should check out what your scores are in 3dmark11 of GPU-demanding games, as well, as those may just be CPU-intensive games (I know planetside 2 is).

And I'm assuming we're talking about a decent resolution e.g. 1920x1080?

Yes 1920x1080
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:10:46 PM

FORGOT TO MENTION: It made little difference in Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2, only a few FPS.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:46:45 PM

BigMack70 said:

Ok! i tested my GPU usage and CPU usage using MSI Afterburner and AMD Overdrive, my results were:

GPU's: Both operating at 98-99%!
CPU's: Cores all not going over around 80% usage?

So much for AMD haters view of bottlenecking.

What does this mean? why would i be getting only 25-40 FPS with Crossfiring HD 6850 cards at 30 FPS and seeing no difference if i disable still getting 30 FPS? I'm recording my FPS and it is in fact 30 both ways or in that area. If crossfire was working as it says it is, i would be getting 58-60 FPS right? if both are at 98-99% usage. What. The. Hell.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:56:58 PM

Do you have vsync on?
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:03:25 PM

BigMack70 said:
Do you have vsync on?

I tested it on and off, makes no difference.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 8:21:01 PM

Jacobslap said:
Ok! i tested my GPU usage and CPU usage using MSI Afterburner and AMD Overdrive, my results were:

GPU's: Both operating at 98-99%!
CPU's: Cores all not going over around 80% usage?

So much for AMD haters view of bottlenecking.

What does this mean? why would i be getting only 25-40 FPS with Crossfiring HD 6850 cards at 30 FPS and seeing no difference if i disable still getting 30 FPS? I'm recording my FPS and it is in fact 30 both ways or in that area. If crossfire was working as it says it is, i would be getting 58-60 FPS right? if both are at 98-99% usage. What. The. Hell.

I did not intend to hate, only supplying facts. I gave you a link to the only benchmarks I could find, and it showed that Planetside 2 does not like AMD CPU's, and pretty much is in the unplayable range.

m
l
January 6, 2013 8:26:10 PM

Disable crossfire - Run a benchmark like 3dmark11 - Overclock GPU - Run 3dmark11 again to see if the score increases by lets say 500 points or so.

Let us know what you get for 1 gpu 3dmark score and what you get with overclock 1 gpu 3dmark score
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:27:20 PM

I do know when I had my cf 7970s with a heavily overclocked FX-8150 it SUCKED.
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:47:13 PM

bystander said:
I did not intend to hate, only supplying facts. I gave you a link to the only benchmarks I could find, and it showed that Planetside 2 does not like AMD CPU's, and pretty much is in the unplayable range.

http://i.imgur.com/5aJTp.png

That looks like a good point, but the 6300 would still be at least 40+ FPS on that chart and i'm not even pulling that, well below that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 8:59:44 PM

Well, Do you have the Crossfire connector connected? Lol, I've known many people that didn't know they needed one... If you do, it's you're CPU. but you should still see an FPS increase.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 6, 2013 9:11:09 PM

Jacobslap said:
That looks like a good point, but the 6300 would still be at least 40+ FPS on that chart and i'm not even pulling that, well below that.

Keep in mind, when sites benchmarks MMO's, they do so in the most controlled environments as possible, with no one around, so the averages they give are almost always on the high side, and you will also see that most the AMD offerings minimums are near 30 FPS.

You may also have v-sync on, which will cause your FPS to hang around multiples of 60 more often, which 30 FPS is.
m
l
!