Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What should my build cost?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 24, 2013 1:39:09 PM

Hey guys i am going to build my own pc when i turn 13. Because after that age i can get a job. Right now I have 700$ but i don't think that is enough for me.
I am probably going to play all games from strategy to FPS games and i want to play them on high to ultra. I want the pc to last me a good 4 years maybe less. But i don't need to play games on ultra in 3 years I just want to play without lag and decent graphics. The reason to why i ask this question is just so i know how much money i should get. So what do you guys think it will/should cost???? :D 

More about : build cost

February 24, 2013 2:47:42 PM

In my opinion, $1000 to $1200 is a good base figure, but you can certainly build a decent machine for less. Since your gaming, you need spend the higher percentage of your money on the graphics card.
February 24, 2013 3:07:52 PM

all right thanks that was also what i had been thinking about. But i am not sure about how much i am going to make. So maybe i can use more. Thanks again. :D 
Related resources
February 24, 2013 3:08:48 PM

You can build a decent gaming rig for like 600-700 dollars
February 24, 2013 3:20:52 PM

I'd agree with $1K to $1.2K without a monitor or peripherals. Mine was $1.3K and runs very well.

Where the heck can you go to work at 13? Appears to be 14 to 16 here in the States.
February 24, 2013 3:29:50 PM

there a few things that you can do...build the pc around xmass and ask your family for a list of parts to help you..like the os or gift cards to the local computer store...the computer case...or the hard drive or gaming keyboard or monitor. sit down with mom and dad and show them that you can build yourself a home pc that 10 times better then dell or hp. show them how dell/hp cuts cost on the quality of there parts and that most of there system made to last about 2 years. (they have very undersized power supply that limit you on any upgrades). when your start building your system...look at the cost of parts vs trade offs. in a few months haswell will be out. when it drops you have to look at the cost of the cpu and mb and see if the extra speed is worth the extra $$$. right now if you look at the nvidia 680/670 cards. the 670 is a better cost/performance.
February 24, 2013 4:16:21 PM

smorizio said:
there a few things that you can do...build the pc around xmass and ask your family for a list of parts to help you..like the os or gift cards to the local computer store...the computer case...or the hard drive or gaming keyboard or monitor. sit down with mom and dad and show them that you can build yourself a home pc that 10 times better then dell or hp. show them how dell/hp cuts cost on the quality of there parts and that most of there system made to last about 2 years. (they have very undersized power supply that limit you on any upgrades). when your start building your system...look at the cost of parts vs trade offs. in a few months haswell will be out. when it drops you have to look at the cost of the cpu and mb and see if the extra speed is worth the extra $$$. right now if you look at the nvidia 680/670 cards. the 670 is a better cost/performance.


Thanks dude that will probably help me alot! I will be 13 in June so I think I will put some things on the wishlist. I have also to been thinking about when the new generation comes because it will probably be dump to build a pc if next generation comes out a few months after. :D 
February 24, 2013 4:25:19 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I'd agree with $1K to $1.2K without a monitor or peripherals. Mine was $1.3K and runs very well.

Where the heck can you go to work at 13? Appears to be 14 to 16 here in the States.


It is because I don't live in the states. I live in Denmark but it isn't the greatest jobs I can get. The easiest job to get is newspaper delivery and i don't even get that much. :(  But i wondered what kind of jobs can you get in America??? :D 
February 24, 2013 5:00:41 PM

there are age laws here...most young teens...we end up carrying grocery's 10 miles both ways in a snow storm...mow yards all days....clear out the street of snow for a few bucks. in my time you could make money on recycing newspaper and bottles...but back then 10 once glass bottles of pop were 5c and movies were 25c. (that was two features and news reals and cartoons).
milk man back then was a yellow hoods truck that had a side hatch for ice cream. tvs..had three channels...then channel 56 and channel 38 started up in boston. that when the old green line had horse and rail lines were going down the streets of watertown mass.
February 24, 2013 5:28:14 PM

smorizio said:
there are age laws here...most young teens...we end up carrying grocery's 10 miles both ways in a snow storm...mow yards all days....clear out the street of snow for a few bucks. in my time you could make money on recycing newspaper and bottles...but back then 10 once glass bottles of pop were 5c and movies were 25c. (that was two features and news reals and cartoons).
milk man back then was a yellow hoods truck that had a side hatch for ice cream. tvs..had three channels...then channel 56 and channel 38 started up in boston. that when the old green line had horse and rail lines were going down the streets of watertown mass.


Thanks. Here in Denmark we haven't get any snow storm here in ages most of the time it's just raining. :( 
February 25, 2013 4:02:12 AM

ask your dad if he had to use a row boat to go to school ten miles in both directions :) 
February 25, 2013 6:31:43 AM

smorizio said:
ask your dad if he had to use a row boat to go to school ten miles in both directions :) 


Hehe I will ;) 
!