Sign in with
Your question

Uh oh, sudden FPS drop help please!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 8:51:22 PM

Hi all, I opened up my pc today to do a bit of a spring clean, decided to manage my cables a bit better so spent a bit of time cable tieing them etc.

When I put the machine back together and booted up everything seemed fine, I started up Batman AC and noticed my FPS was down at 29-30. Also it wasnt using 100% of the GPU which is a bit weird

Usually I have Vsync on so on my 60 hz monitor and 7950 frame rates are always 60ish. I ran Heaven 3.0 as well to test and the same story 30FPS on a setting it usually averages 55 on the benchmark! Although it was using 99% as usual here.

The card is running slightly hotter then before as well, about 5c I have taken it out and reseated it checked all the connections on the PSU etc. The only thing i did was cable tie the 2 power cables together and bundle them around the back of the mobo a little!

Im currently using it to write this, it seems to be stable its just running at half speed, I really hope I havnt borked it, if anyone has any idea what could help or whats wrong it would be much appreciated!

More about : sudden fps drop

a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 9:02:59 PM

shADy81 said:
Hi all, I opened up my pc today to do a bit of a spring clean, decided to manage my cables a bit better so spent a bit of time cable tieing them etc.

When I put the machine back together and booted up everything seemed fine, I started up Batman AC and noticed my FPS was down at 29-30. Also it wasnt using 100% of the GPU which is a bit weird

Usually I have Vsync on so on my 60 hz monitor and 7950 frame rates are always 60ish. I ran Heaven 3.0 as well to test and the same story 30FPS on a setting it usually averages 55 on the benchmark! Although it was using 99% as usual here.

The card is running slightly hotter then before as well, about 5c I have taken it out and reseated it checked all the connections on the PSU etc. The only thing i did was cable tie the 2 power cables together and bundle them around the back of the mobo a little!

Im currently using it to write this, it seems to be stable its just running at half speed, I really hope I havnt borked it, if anyone has any idea what could help or whats wrong it would be much appreciated!

Did you remember to plug the power cables to your video card?

Probably a good idea to re-seat the card too might have bumped into it on accident.
January 6, 2013 9:13:02 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I opened her up again straight away took the card right out reseated it and checked the power connections on the PSU and plugged them back into the card. The card is working its just only working half as well. Im using the MSI Afterburner screen display during Heaven and Batman and I can see in Batman the card is only getting up to 50-60% usage for some reason.

My Card is a Msi 7950 Twin frozr with the 6 and 8 pin connection (7970 pcb)
600W OCZ ModXstream Pro PSU
Asus P8z77-v pro

My case is well ventilated etc and I always monitor temps so I know that its not been overheating, its literally just after I opened it up and closed it again I know I did bump it slightly and the cooler kind of hangs ever so slightly lower on one end, I thought I may have pulled it away slightly unseating the heatsink a touch, but if it was throttling due to the heastsink being displaced wouldnt it throttle In Heaven 3.0 as well?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 9:21:09 PM

shADy81 said:
Hi thanks for the reply, yes I opened her up again straight away took the card right out reseated it and checked the power connections on the PSU and plugged them back into the card. The card is working its just only working half as well. Im using the MSI Afterburner screen display during Heaven and Batman and I can see in Batman the card is only getting up to 50-60% usage for some reason.

My Card is a Msi 7950 Twin frozr with the 6 and 8 pin connection (7970 pcb)
600W OCZ ModXstream Pro PSU
Asus P8z77-v pro

My case is well ventilated etc and I always monitor temps so I know that its not been overheating, its literally just after I opened it up and closed it again I know I did bump it slightly and the cooler kind of hangs ever so slightly lower on one end, I thought I may have pulled it away slightly unseating the heatsink a touch, but if it was throttling due to the heastsink being displaced wouldnt it throttle In Heaven 3.0 as well?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Download gpuz, and tell us bus width after running the test by clicking the question mark and then running the test.

While the test is running does it jump to the max your motherboard supports?
January 6, 2013 9:43:00 PM

Ok, so GPUz is saying its running a x16 PCI 3.0 bus width is 384 bit as I think it should be?

It does however say that Dedicated memory usage is at 0% the whole time, and dynamic jumps about. Im very new at all this so I dont know if thats normal.

January 6, 2013 9:54:38 PM

Ok it wont let me edit, Im running Win 8 64bit and apparently GPUz shows Dedicated as dynamic in win 8
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 10:15:11 PM

shADy81 said:
Ok it wont let me edit, Im running Win 8 64bit and apparently GPUz shows Dedicated as dynamic in win 8

Hmm, you did install the proper drivers FOR win 8 right?

Open up CPU-Z. Click on the 'About' tab. Under tools section, click on 'Save Report (.TXT)'.

Write down what the voltages the text file says in your next post.

January 6, 2013 10:32:12 PM

I have catalyst 12.10 drivers I installed it 3 months ago and havnt had any problems, was using the system all morning decided to clean it, put it back together and boom half FPS. So i wouldnt think its the drivers unless they picked a strange moment to go bang:) 

Can't find what you mean in GPUz I only have Graphics Card , Sensors and Valdiation tabs but with the render test on,GPU load 100% ish:
12v : 12.13v
VDDC: 0.9698v
MVDDC: 1.602v
VDDC Current: 96.8A
VDDC Current in :9.5 A

a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 11:01:18 PM

shADy81 said:
I have catalyst 12.10 drivers I installed it 3 months ago and havnt had any problems, was using the system all morning decided to clean it, put it back together and boom half FPS. So i wouldnt think its the drivers unless they picked a strange moment to go bang:) 

Can't find what you mean in GPUz I only have Graphics Card , Sensors and Valdiation tabs but with the render test on,GPU load 100% ish:
12v : 12.13v
VDDC: 0.9698v
MVDDC: 1.602v
VDDC Current: 96.8A
VDDC Current in :9.5 A

Ok open up gpuz, and run the render test.

Go back to the sensor tab and look down the list at your voltages:

Should be close to this while the render is going:

12V - 12.06V
VDDC - 1.098-1.131V
MVDDC - 1.602V
VDDC Current - 100-110A
VDDC Current In - 10-12A

January 7, 2013 4:56:49 AM

Hi sorry fell asleep, that looks pretty close to my voltages there, for some reason Afterburner has always reported my voltage as 1031mv and Gpuz had always had it under 1v. Dont know if thats a problem, it wasnt before?
January 7, 2013 4:16:55 PM

Is it possible that my card has always been undervolted? I have briefly had the clock up to 1020mhz and 1350 mem for 10 minutes in MSI Kombustor and there were no artifacts at all in dx11 burn in test 1080p. I read about heaven 3.0 somewhere so I got that and went up from stock (880) in 20 mhz bumps with the mem left alone and noticed it got a tiny but glitchy at about 980mhz so I wound it back to 940. I haven't touched the voltage at all, is it possibel to damage a card from to high clocks at to low voltage? It was my understanding that if you didnt touch the voltage and if you didnt have any crashes or major artifacts you would be fine.

So would it help to give it a tiny voltage bump or would that be very stupid :o  :) 
January 8, 2013 6:32:58 PM

Just incase anyone has a similar problem, first things first. Reinstall your graphics drivers!

Updated to Catalyst 12.11 after uninstalling using Driver Fusion etc and system appears to be working fully. It must have just been really weird timing for the driver to go bad after I had had the system open.

It seems to be Batman Arkham City. I was never able to play with any kind of Tesselation on so once I'd updated and Heaven ran really smoothly (actually 10 fps better with the new drivers in the benchmark!) I loaded Batman to test having turned on tesselation and it crashed immediately. I tried to run heaven and it was broken again, I restarted the machine and there was no problem. I guess Batman crashing must have corrupted a driver somehow.

Annoying that I can't play it with tess on. I dont have another DX11 game with tesselation to test it in right now. May be forced to buy Far Cry 3 tomorrow to test it out :D 
!