My new computer crashes when I'm gaming

itsthesebbe

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hello guys,

I have a problem, my computer that I built a month ago crashes when I'm gaming. It first happened 3 times in a cracked version of Far Cry 3, I thought it was because of it was cracked, because it didn't happen on other games. But since 2 weeks ago it also happened on other games that I didn't crack like Trine 2 and age of empires 3. I get the feeling it starts happening alot more lately (4 times last 3 days), and it's starting to annoy me.

Let me explain what happens; First my primary screen blinks and goes black, I hear my sound loop on the last millisecond and my second screens doesn't go black, but freezes. The fans keep spinning and the start button LED just stays on. I can't turn it on pressing the reset button, I have to hold my start button for a few seconds to turn it off. When I do that it just starts up normally and it's all fine again.

I haven't overclocked anything, so it should just all work. It also only crashes when I play games. I've recorded my temperatures when it happened and my CPU was at 55 degrees celsius and my GPU at 60 degrees celsius. I've also run FurMark for 15 minutes, nothing happened and the temperatures stayed around 65 degrees celsius. I've also run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and it said it didn't detect any errors. My case isn't too messy, so that can't be a problem either.

These are my specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3,4 GHz
GPU: Sappire Radeon HD 7870
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1tb
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus
PSU: XFX core edition Pro 550W
and a DVD Burner

I tried to be as specific as possible, do you guys think I'll have to bring parts back for DOA? Also sorry if I made any grammar mistakes, I'm Dutch. Thanks!

TimeLass

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Something is wrong with your GPU(most probably)
try to uninstall and re-install a newer version of driver or older version of driver to see if it works... or you can simply send back the GPU for RMA...

TimeLass

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

you will void the warranty by doing so right?(not sure)

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Underclocking is done via software (same as overclocking for video cards, catalyst makes a software for this), it doesn't make any changes to the card itself. What this person was suggesting was to run it slower to see if it fixes the problem. If it does, you can be sure your card is faulty.

If it still doesn't work you can clock it back to default and say you never over-clocked/under-clocked. Just don't mention anything other than stock speeds. Then again, you don't need to test and just send it back.

TimeLass

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

i see i see... thanks for info...!:D

TRENDING THREADS