shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
so, I'm looking for reviews of motherboards that use the kt333 chipset, hoping to use it with pc2700 ram. while looking, I find some things that confuse me.

<A HREF="http://www.ebns.com/story/OEG20020212S0031" target="_new"> this would be one </A>

<A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/releaseview.cfm?ReleaseID=792" target="_new"> and this another </A>

now, being new to hardware, I've never heard of pc2600. is this a typo? is pc2700 in fact NOT the ddr 333 ram I thought it was? where am I misinformed, here? plus, what confuses me about this article is where it says that the ddr333 probably clocked back down to 266 with 3 modules BECAUSE IT WAS PUT INTO BOARDS THAT DIDN'T SUPPORT DDR333.
if that was the case, shouldn't it have clocked down with just one module? I don't understand. how can a board not designed to use ddr 333 use it at all?

and finally, what other sites do you all go to to get good mobo comparison reviews? I'm interested in a 333 fsb chipset, but Tom's hardware doesn't have anything on them yet. I'm glad they take their time and review when they think its worth it, and their reviews are always thorough. but, I ALSO need a site that's constantly letting me know what's available.

thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
There are currently no motherboards that natively support PC2700. It's only use is for overclocking.
The Via KT333 will be the first, assuming the "non-a" version actually works right this time around :tongue:

HardOCP.com is a good site for tech news, they have updates several times a day.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
There are currently no motherboards that natively support PC2700.
Are you forgetting about the Leadtek WinFast 7350KDA and the Iwill XP333.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
But the real deal is, will that make the AthlonXPs run at 333MHZ bus too?
If so, then why hasn't AMD talked or started a newer chip that better supports the new bandwidth? I am confused by my own question but I can understand myself!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

svol

Champion
A board that doesn't support DDR333 will support PC2700 RAM because it is backwards compatibel.
PC2700 RAM runs at an FSB of 333 (166) MHz, IF the motherboard FSB supports that speed and is set to it. There aren't any 333MHz CPU's yet, but you can OC it towards 333 MHz.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

FatBurger

Illustrious
Do they both support asynchronous memory speeds at 166MHz? I was under the impression that they didn't.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
mu soyo dragon ultra (p4s) supports pc 2700 right out of the box (sis 645 chipset, multiple divider choices)

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I meant only Socket A motherboards, but you're right.

And apparently I was wrong, there are two boards that support PC2700 natively.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Unless you plan on upgrading your mobo in the near future. Nah none of us would consider that an option LOL.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Unless you plan on upgrading your mobo in the near future. Nah none of us would consider that an option LOL.
That's not what I mean. I'm saying that a KT333 mobo that runs RAM at 333MHz but the FSB at 266MHz is useless.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...but didn't you say, "A board that doesn't support DDR333 will support PC2700 RAM because it is backwards compatibel"?

Never mind. Skip it. Let's move on.

Has anyone here tried using any DDR memory at 166mhz and used 3 slots? Did you experience any performance losses as <A HREF="http://www.ebns.com/story/OEG20020212S0031" target="_new">Shmeggegie's first link</A> suggests? Or is this just a problem with true PC2700 memory, memory which isn't being run out of spec?

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

Hey lagger, I just ordered the Asus P4S333 with the SiS 645 chip set any suggestions on ram? Google has Kingmax cl2.5 for $93 or Corsair cl2 for $135, or is there something better?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I would get the corsair .. I have the kingmax and it is ok at 2.5 3-3 but if I had the $$ I would replace it with the corsair .. overclocking and tweaking my older machine ( 800eb asus cusl2-c) and doing benches proved to me that TIMINGS COUNT ... more so even than higher fsb .. if you can afford the corsair get it by all means

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

G

don't forget about crucial!!!

I know crucial doesnt make pc2700, but i'd still prefer stable pc2100 cl2 over any of that shady pc2700 memory any day!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by homer451 on 03/05/02 10:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Crucial doesn't make PC2700, so it wouldn't be a good choice for an SiS645 board.

Don't step in the sarcasm!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But I've seen Crucial RAM overclocked to 333MHz CL2.5. Although CL2.5 won't make it much faster as CL2 PC2100.

G

Well, being a hardware-tweaking newbie I'm very trigger happy and over confident in my "knowledge". That said, let's pull the trigger on that flame-thrower :)

There are currently no motherboards that natively support PC2700. It's only use is for overclocking.
The Via KT333 will be the first, assuming the "non-a" version actually works right this time around
Hmm, apparently you're an older poster than I am so you're supposed to be more clueful before comming with this huge brain-fart. There are several mobos there around "new" (i.e. several months actually) old VIA KT333 chipset. Myself I'm eying the Asus A7V333 mobo.

Wrt to memory: After reading several reviews and asking around "experts" it appears that it really worths to have a DDR333 platform, if:

1) your chispet supports it. Apparently VIA KT333 is the best around, according to several comparison (see THG and tech-report.com)

2) You find DDR333 memory (or PC2700, whatever you wanna call it, AFAIK there is no difference btw. them. Pls tell the poster that suggested the opposite to lay off the pipe ;) ).
Most important, your DDR333 __should__ be able to work at CAS2.0. According to THG review, DDR266 at CL2.0 still kicks the DDR333 at CL2.5. Now, here comes the tricky part. AFAIK there is NO DDR333 memory out there being certified (and acknowledged by 3rd parties) CAS2.0. Corsair was supposed to be but according to THG tests it doesn't work at CL2.0 settings, on 4 mobos based on VIA KT333 chipset.
The only memory that I am aware of that is tested and acknoledged tooperate at DDR333 with CAS2.0 is the OCZ's PC3000 memory. See http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q1/ocz-pc3000/index.x?pg=1.

If anyone is aware of another/cheaper PC2700 memory that is _verfied_ and known to operate @ CAS2.0, pls point to appropriate reference.

3)Last and most important: Your FSB should operate at DDR333 (i.e. be clocked at 166 MHz), otherwise the whole idea/investment is a waste of time/money. Now, all AMDs so far operate natively w/ a FSB clock of at most 133 MHz so you'll need to do either: a) a bit of tweaking (unlocking your Athlon) + overclocking. b) a smart choice of CPUs + change of clock settings in BIOS. c) Wait for AMD on Thoroughbread (sp?) core, apparently expected "any time now".

(For more details, see the recent "Athlon with a 333 MHz FSB ?" thread in CPU forum I've started in the weekend)

Anyway, if anyone knows of a DDR333 memory known to operate at CAS2.0, please post the vendor + link to review/test that acks/proves that.

Cheers,

Yup.

FatBurger

Illustrious
First off, how about if you look at the date of the post (KT333 boards hadn't quite hit the market yet), and read the rest of the thread before jumping down my throat? Or am I so ancient and decrepit that I can't read properly, seeing as I left my bifocals at home?

Second, your very post is contradicting. You claim that a KT333 board will automatically give you better results, then state that you'll only see the results when overclocking the CPU as well (which is correct).

So until you figure out how to read an entire thread and figure out what you're talking about before jumping down my throat, I will bid you good day.

Don't step in the sarcasm!