Accidentaly formatted my Windows 7, can I get the files back?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, this is Mike. I've been having problems with Windows 7, then I formatted and that fixed the problem. However, is there a way to get my back all of my old files? If so, I'd like to know. I tried using the Emergency Backup and that recovered a couple of my old files. But there are still a lot of files that couldn't be recovered by the backup.

I guess my question is, is there anyway I can recover other files that were lost when I formatted?

I've tried a few things like Pandora Recovery and EASEUS, but they didn't do exactly what I wanted them to. They seemed to only be able to recover certain file types and not special file types.

So, is there anyway I can restore all the files I had before I accidentally formatted?

I have had success with RECUVA. Not sure about getting all files back, that depends on what has been rewritten !

teemutherien

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

try looking for a windows.old folder on your comp you may not have gotten rid of them all

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Well I'll try Recuva and that stuff. But are there any more good free ones? Like I said, EASEUA or whatever, couldn't find some of my lost files. Mainly one's that had rare file extension. It also couldn't locate some midis that I had lost.

So is there a way to restore ALL my files, even the ones with weird extensions for free? Or do I have to spend money in the long run?

What does this mean exactly? "I tried using the Emergency Backup and that recovered a couple of my old files?"

Did you use Windows' Backup and Restore previsously for your backups?

Most of this software lets you filter by extensions.

The most important thing you can do right now is NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE DISK(since it can overwrite files). I know it sounds like a no brainer, but just want to make sure you know.

Easyrecovery pro works well, but is not cheap.

I would give Recuva a go. it can look for other file types as well(should look for everything).