Need To Monitor Time Spent on PC

June 25, 2005 10:43:07 AM

Hello:

As many gamers are aware, the sport is addicting. I am the mother of a
teenage boy who spends 5 hours at a time onthe PC gaming. It has extended
into the wee hours of the morning now that school is out and I'm looking for
two things:

1. A way to track the time he spents playing a particular program. With
this data I can try to reason with him that he's not managing himself and may
need help.
2. A program that automaticall shuts off the PC within time periods that
the user specifies. I had tried a program like this last year, but it
crashed the computer more than once by corrupting system files.

Any suggestions on how to help someone establish reasonable time boundaries
for PC use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : monitor time spent

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 25, 2005 4:09:54 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 06:43:07 -0700, Deb wrote:

> Hello:
>
> As many gamers are aware, the sport is addicting. I am the mother of a
> teenage boy who spends 5 hours at a time onthe PC gaming. It has extended
> into the wee hours of the morning now that school is out and I'm looking for
> two things:
>
> 1. A way to track the time he spents playing a particular program. With
> this data I can try to reason with him that he's not managing himself and may
> need help.
> 2. A program that automaticall shuts off the PC within time periods that
> the user specifies. I had tried a program like this last year, but it
> crashed the computer more than once by corrupting system files.
>
> Any suggestions on how to help someone establish reasonable time boundaries
> for PC use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's very easy to lose track of time when you're busy saving the world.
Alternate suggestion: An alarm clock program. Set to sound off after x
amount of time.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Deb,

An easy solution would be to setup a scheduled task
(All Programs > Accessories > System Tools) and
make a task that starts a password protected Screen
Saver at a designated time each day such as 1 am.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C68972E-4859-4495-B748-DCFA5316896A@microsoft.com...
| Hello:
|
| As many gamers are aware, the sport is addicting. I am the mother of a
| teenage boy who spends 5 hours at a time onthe PC gaming. It has extended
| into the wee hours of the morning now that school is out and I'm looking for
| two things:
|
| 1. A way to track the time he spents playing a particular program. With
| this data I can try to reason with him that he's not managing himself and may
| need help.
| 2. A program that automaticall shuts off the PC within time periods that
| the user specifies. I had tried a program like this last year, but it
| crashed the computer more than once by corrupting system files.
|
| Any suggestions on how to help someone establish reasonable time boundaries
| for PC use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Related resources
June 25, 2005 7:25:05 PM

Great ideas from you and Sharon. I've not played much with system scheduled
tasks, but that's an interesting use. Thanks to you both.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Deb,
>
> An easy solution would be to setup a scheduled task
> (All Programs > Accessories > System Tools) and
> make a task that starts a password protected Screen
> Saver at a designated time each day such as 1 am.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C68972E-4859-4495-B748-DCFA5316896A@microsoft.com...
> | Hello:
> |
> | As many gamers are aware, the sport is addicting. I am the mother of a
> | teenage boy who spends 5 hours at a time onthe PC gaming. It has extended
> | into the wee hours of the morning now that school is out and I'm looking for
> | two things:
> |
> | 1. A way to track the time he spents playing a particular program. With
> | this data I can try to reason with him that he's not managing himself and may
> | need help.
> | 2. A program that automaticall shuts off the PC within time periods that
> | the user specifies. I had tried a program like this last year, but it
> | crashed the computer more than once by corrupting system files.
> |
> | Any suggestions on how to help someone establish reasonable time boundaries
> | for PC use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2005 12:12:36 PM

>As many gamers are aware, the sport is addicting. I am the mother of a
>teenage boy who spends 5 hours at a time onthe PC gaming. It has extended
>into the wee hours of the morning now that school is out and I'm looking for
>two things:
>
>1. A way to track the time he spents playing a particular program. With
>this data I can try to reason with him that he's not managing himself and may
>need help.
>2. A program that automaticall shuts off the PC within time periods that
>the user specifies. I had tried a program like this last year, but it
>crashed the computer more than once by corrupting system files.
>
>Any suggestions on how to help someone establish reasonable time boundaries
>for PC use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

See PC Time Watch:
http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/pctwoverview.htm

===
Katy P.