Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How well does "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" work with (EASport..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 22, 2004 11:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi,

I intend to get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for music production in
Cubase SX, but I was wondering how well this card works with games,
especially sport games like those from EASports (FIFA 2004, NBA Live,
etc..) which I like to play. Things is that I've read in reviews of the
Audiophile that since it doesn't have EAX, etc.. in its hardware -
unlike the Audigy - there can be problems with games. The problems
mentioned are:

- reduced framerates in games
- latency or even stuttering
- sounds that are being played wrong or are missing

Can anyone who has the Audiophile 2496 and also plays (EASports) games
tell from experience how well this card work with these games, like do
you get any of the above mentioned problems and do you get "smooth
gameplay/framerates", even when turning all whistles and bells on in
those games?! If you used to have an Audigy or something can you perhaps
compare?

Second, how well does this soundcard playback movie files (like DivX
movies) since these also contain audio ofcourse.

Finally, does this card have DirectSound in its hardware or not, as I
believe this can make a difference. In reviews they also mention that
"DirectSound is being implemented differently then with the Audigy".
What do they mean by that?!

Thanks in advance for all good feedback!

Mike.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <4087FA67.D4224C20@in.group> please.reply@in.group writes:

Which group?

> I intend to get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for music production in
> Cubase SX, but I was wondering how well this card works with games,
> especially sport games like those from EASports (FIFA 2004, NBA Live,
> etc..) which I like to play.

Banish that thought to the sidelines. Get another computer for your
games and put a SoundBlaster in it. Leave your music computer clean
and it'll be a better music computer. Computers are cheap. Lost time
chasing things that got screwed up in your computer's audio setup
because of a program deciding that it was going to be the most
important multimedia user is both frustrating and expensive.

> Second, how well does this soundcard playback movie files (like DivX
> movies) since these also contain audio ofcourse.

Probably fine. Nothing too strange there, but again, any formats that
require their own player software should stay off your music computer.

> Finally, does this card have DirectSound in its hardware or not

I don't keep up with these things, but I thought that DirectSound was
a software thing. It's quite possible, however, that it is implemented
differently in different drivers.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers - (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:56:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Mike" <please.reply@in.group> wrote in message
news:4087FA67.D4224C20@in.group...
> Hi,
>
> I intend to get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for music production in
> Cubase SX, but I was wondering how well this card works with games,
> especially sport games like those from EASports (FIFA 2004, NBA Live,
> etc..) which I like to play. Things is that I've read in reviews of the
> Audiophile that since it doesn't have EAX, etc.. in its hardware -
> unlike the Audigy - there can be problems with games. The problems
> mentioned are:
>
> - reduced framerates in games
> - latency or even stuttering
> - sounds that are being played wrong or are missing
>
> Can anyone who has the Audiophile 2496 and also plays (EASports) games
> tell from experience how well this card work with these games, like do
> you get any of the above mentioned problems and do you get "smooth
> gameplay/framerates", even when turning all whistles and bells on in
> those games?! If you used to have an Audigy or something can you perhaps
> compare?
>
> Second, how well does this soundcard playback movie files (like DivX
> movies) since these also contain audio ofcourse.
>
> Finally, does this card have DirectSound in its hardware or not, as I
> believe this can make a difference. In reviews they also mention that
> "DirectSound is being implemented differently then with the Audigy".
> What do they mean by that?!
>
> Thanks in advance for all good feedback!
>
> Mike.
>

Yeah, m-audio cards are not good for gaming. Some people have suscessfully
installed both the Sound Blaster to use for games and the Audiophile for
listening and recording.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 4:51:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Mike" <please.reply@in.group> wrote in message
news:4087FA67.D4224C20@in.group...
> Hi,
>
> I intend to get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for music production in
> Cubase SX, but I was wondering how well this card works with games,
> especially sport games like those from EASports (FIFA 2004, NBA Live,
> etc..) which I like to play. Things is that I've read in reviews of the
> Audiophile that since it doesn't have EAX, etc.. in its hardware -
> unlike the Audigy - there can be problems with games. The problems
> mentioned are:
>
The driver doesn't use interrupts.
This means that the CPU continually has to poll the card.
This card has one purpose: to acquire and export digital audio.
I used a related card by the same company, the Delta-DIO, for this purpose.
The card can co-exist with an Audigy, or probably, any other traditional
sound card.

So stick two cards in the machine!
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 1:21:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Mike wrote:

> I intend to get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for music
> production in Cubase SX, but I was wondering how well
> this card works with games,

I'd expect it to do an excellent job. My DiO 2448 always worked very
well with any game thrown at it. Read on, there is a disclaimer at the
bottom of this.

> especially sport games like those from EASports (FIFA 2004,
> NBA Live, etc..) which I like to play. Things is that I've
> read in reviews of the Audiophile that since it doesn't
> have EAX, etc.. in its hardware - unlike the Audigy - there
> can be problems with games. The problems
> mentioned are:

> - reduced framerates in games
> - latency or even stuttering
> - sounds that are being played wrong or are missing

Generally speaking a DAW needs to have good throughput, as does games.
The video card could in my assessment matter more for all the issues you
mention, most problems I know of originate in ill behaved hardware or
drivers that lead to other stuff getting starved, example: "nasty blits"
(video operations that eat too many bus cycles without properly
releasing the bus can cause problems for an audio stream just trickling
along, as can some PCI harddisk controllers).

> Finally, does this card have DirectSound in its hardware or not, as I
> believe this can make a difference. In reviews they also mention that
> "DirectSound is being implemented differently then with the Audigy".
> What do they mean by that?!

If something is implemented differently than in a Soundblaster product,
then my first asumption would be that it is done in a way that sounds
better. I do like the hardware synth chip on my old AWE32, it sounds
excellent when its own SP-DIF output is used and is now fitted to an old
P150 with win 95 OSR 2.1 because that is all that is needed for the
preferred note editing software (Noteworthy Composer).

> Thanks in advance for all good feedback!

Windows is learning, albeit slowly, how a proper OS should behave.
DirectX works with M-audio, it has to, because the software used for
audio needs it to work. A very good software synth is installed by
windows if a hardware synth is not available. Frankly I would expect
problems to be more likely if adding a poorly behaved gamers card to a
daw than if simply using the daws excellent properties, including way
better sound quality than any gamers card.

Disclaimer: it is implied but not tested whether games will work with a
Delta card from M-audio. It also will not be tested, at least not by me,
because I have just scratched the previous OS installation on the
macnine with the Delta card and that machine is being rebuilt lean even
if it means having to finagle with getting software presets in Audition
and projects in Feurio back in place, neither program has good
export-import options.

> Mike.


Kind regards

Peter Larsen

--
*******************************************
* My site is at: http://www.muyiovatki.dk *
*******************************************
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 1:21:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I can't imagine how people could have time for games, even if they were
intereted....


geoff
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 4:19:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I think it depends what mode the Windows XP is working on.

If it's in ACPI mode, the Windows is managing interrups and share them
in some software way.
I have installed it in Standard PC mode to avoid sharing drivers - to
make sure that my Audiophile works independent.

Some time ago I have put three soundcards to my PC (Audiotrak Maya 44,
Maxi Sound HS64 Pro and SB Live!) - they worked together :) 

Przemko, Poland

>
> The driver doesn't use interrupts.
> This means that the CPU continually has to poll the card.
> This card has one purpose: to acquire and export digital audio.
> I used a related card by the same company, the Delta-DIO, for this purpose.
> The card can co-exist with an Audigy, or probably, any other traditional
> sound card.
>
> So stick two cards in the machine!
>
>
!