Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Build Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2013 4:12:52 PM

I've never used this site before, but I've gotten a lot of help from reading other forum posts and have finally put together a list of components for my desktop build. I'm not new to computers, but I've never actually built one. My Budget is about $3000

Case: Aerocool Strike-X ST-Bk
Mobo: EVGA 270-WS-W555-A2 Classified SR-2
CPU: Intel Xeon E5620 (x2)
Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 32MB Buffer
Asus Internal 12x Blu-Ray Burner
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked (x2)
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio Dual 120mm Universal CPU Cooler (x2)
Power Supply: OCZ OCZ-ZX1250W ZX Series
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3x4GB)
(not including any fans because I don't know how many or where they'll fit with all this installed)

Like I said I'm not new to computers and I've helped a friend of mine build one a few years back but I just wanted to know if there would be any conflicts with these parts. I'm pretty sure they are all compatible but any suggestions or comments about that or anything else would be really helpful. Thanks so much and I sure hope I posted this right! :/ 
February 24, 2013 4:37:38 PM

Lurtzelkor said:
I've never used this site before, but I've gotten a lot of help from reading other forum posts and have finally put together a list of components for my desktop build. I'm not new to computers, but I've never actually built one. My Budget is about $3000

Case: Aerocool Strike-X ST-Bk
Mobo: EVGA 270-WS-W555-A2 Classified SR-2
CPU: Intel Xeon E5620 (x2)
Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 32MB Buffer
Asus Internal 12x Blu-Ray Burner
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked (x2)
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio Dual 120mm Universal CPU Cooler (x2)
Power Supply: OCZ OCZ-ZX1250W ZX Series
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3x4GB)
(not including any fans because I don't know how many or where they'll fit with all this installed)

Like I said I'm not new to computers and I've helped a friend of mine build one a few years back but I just wanted to know if there would be any conflicts with these parts. I'm pretty sure they are all compatible but any suggestions or comments about that or anything else would be really helpful. Thanks so much and I sure hope I posted this right! :/ 

First off, what kind of games and programs are you planning to run? Not many need two Xeons, at most, they would do really well, on an i5 or i7 for half the cost.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2013 5:15:12 PM

with your budget you can actually consider getting a titan or two

drop those Xeons into 3770k's
swap the hdd into the wd blue 64mb cache or seagate 64mb cache ones and also grab a decent 128gb ssd
Related resources
February 24, 2013 7:56:36 PM

dcomander - I'm an avid gamer and I work a lot with music (recording, editing, writing ect). The mobo supports dual xeons in the E55** or the E56** classes, so thats why i was thinking that.

stickmansam - Same idea with the xeons but I'll look into the 3770k. I wasn't even sure if this mobo supported anything but xeons. I know you can't run dual i7's or anything but i wasnt sure if you could even put an i7 into it.
February 24, 2013 8:09:06 PM

Oh, alright then all seems compatible, as for the i7s, that board most likely will not support it, just Xeons on that board. As for the SSD suggestion - add that, its a total speed increase of 50% over traditional HDDs.
February 24, 2013 8:17:27 PM

Alright then. Thank you both so much. One other thing I have no knowledge of is sound. Like I said I do a lot with music is there a sound card or something I should get to get better sound quality or something?
February 24, 2013 8:18:10 PM

Pardon my grammar :p 
February 24, 2013 8:41:39 PM

Lurtzelkor said:
Alright then. Thank you both so much. One other thing I have no knowledge of is sound. Like I said I do a lot with music is there a sound card or something I should get to get better sound quality or something?

Your Very Welcome.
I would look into the high rated sound cards on newegg. I personally use a rocketfish PCI card from best buy, and do fine with it, though my budget is quite tiny unfortunately.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2013 9:46:31 PM

You could drop down to a lower level board, use an i7 3770k and a titan which will be better performing than dual 660's
February 24, 2013 10:06:11 PM

soundcards are olnly recommended if you have the best monitor speakers and 5.1 headphones
February 25, 2013 8:28:04 PM

Thanks for more responses. I'm looking at other mobo's that i could use a 3770k with and i checked out the link byo. I'm definently going to revise the list. Thank you all for the help! :D 
!