godeszila

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I am trying to play world of tanks. I have cable internet and I pay for 65mbps dl speed and 6mbps ul speed. my wife's computer gets both when testing on speedtest.net. however both my computer and laptop get 2mbps upload speed and are the same distance from the router. Also my wife's pc gets a ping of 9 while my laptop and pc get a ping rate of 27 to 40. I know better rates are possible because she gets them, what settings can I manipulate to get the same rates as her?

Julie Thomas

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
When doing an online ping that the packets are sent from that website, so the times that are returned reflect the path from that location and not from your computer. Nevertheless, a ping from an online website can be useful to test if an address can be reached from different places around the Internet, to do comparative timing to test how long it takes to reach one site compared to others.

Thanks a lot.
Julie

godeszila

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
but we are pinging the same location from the same location. and we have tested this many times. the only difference between the computers is that she has windows 7 while my laptop runs vista and my pc runs XP. I dont think that OS differences should cause the lag. I am woundering what else I can look into.

RealBeast

Titan
Compare them by running pingtest.net (the sister site to speedtest.net). Look at your network and see if any of your connections are an issue.

You can run a freeware program (LAN Speed Test) within your network to determine if you have specific issues with any computer, wiring issues, slower adapters, and the like.