wyvernwood

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello,

I'm putting a system together with:

Corsair HX750 Gold PSU
Fractal Define R4
Asus P9X79 Pro

My query is that the case has a series of cables that connect to the front panel (power on, reset, LEDs + USBs)

These connect to the mobo via various connections - which is OK, I have them connected.

There are also 3 cables / terminals bound together that I assume need to be connected.

One is a 4 pin power connector (HD / DVD type) - which I've connected to the PSU.

The other two are 2 pin (small) set in a rectangular surround - and I'm not sure what these connect too at all, whether they need separate power connections to the PSU, or need to connect to the Mobo. The PSU has no leads with it that will fit, and there are no terminals on the mobo that appear to fit.

I'm also wondering whether the power lead I've connected is really necessary, and if not, and I likely to cause any damage ? If it is to power a drive,

I'm trying to grab a photo to post to explain the above.

Thanks.

wyvernwood

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
This is the case - the connectors are the 3 in the middle:

pc-01.jpg

These are the two that I'm not sure what to connect too, and whether I need an adapter:

pc-04.jpg

Thanks

wyvernwood

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I'm beginning to think this is to do with the fan controller switch that sits on the front panel.

Presumably the Molex four pin is to supply power to the main panel (power on, USB ports, Audio, Reset button) and these sockets allow a couple of fans to be fitted ?

wyvernwood

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
OK - think I've sussed out that these are indeed connections for the chasis fans, with the Molex to provide power.

Since the mobo also allows chasis fans to be connected what are the pros/cons of connecting either to the mobo, or via the front panel fan controller ?

Thanks

lostinhardwarehell

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

DrDiaMedic

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Go check out this form, it'll answer your questions
www.tomshardware.com/forum/366264-28-help-fractal-design-case-cables
Hope I was able to help :)

DrDiaMedic

Honorable