Help with connections P9X79 / Fractal Define R4

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2013 4:53:13 PM

Hello,

I'm putting a system together with:

Corsair HX750 Gold PSU
Fractal Define R4
Asus P9X79 Pro

My query is that the case has a series of cables that connect to the front panel (power on, reset, LEDs + USBs)

These connect to the mobo via various connections - which is OK, I have them connected.

There are also 3 cables / terminals bound together that I assume need to be connected.

One is a 4 pin power connector (HD / DVD type) - which I've connected to the PSU.

The other two are 2 pin (small) set in a rectangular surround - and I'm not sure what these connect too at all, whether they need separate power connections to the PSU, or need to connect to the Mobo. The PSU has no leads with it that will fit, and there are no terminals on the mobo that appear to fit.

I'm also wondering whether the power lead I've connected is really necessary, and if not, and I likely to cause any damage ? If it is to power a drive,

I'm trying to grab a photo to post to explain the above.

Thanks.
February 24, 2013 5:01:01 PM

This is the case - the connectors are the 3 in the middle:

These are the two that I'm not sure what to connect too, and whether I need an adapter:

Thanks
February 24, 2013 5:10:58 PM

I'm beginning to think this is to do with the fan controller switch that sits on the front panel.

Presumably the Molex four pin is to supply power to the main panel (power on, USB ports, Audio, Reset button) and these sockets allow a couple of fans to be fitted ?
Related resources
February 24, 2013 5:46:06 PM

OK - think I've sussed out that these are indeed connections for the chasis fans, with the Molex to provide power.

Since the mobo also allows chasis fans to be connected what are the pros/cons of connecting either to the mobo, or via the front panel fan controller ?

Thanks
July 23, 2013 1:24:29 AM

10310758,0,948195 said:
OK - think I've sussed out that these are indeed connections for the chasis fans, with the Molex to provide power.

Hi wyvernwood,
Came across the same thing last night whilst trying to do my first build. I was hoping you would be kind enough to help me clarify some things?So these connectors are for additional fans if I had some is that correct? I shouldn't put my main chassis fan connector into this should I? last night I connected this to the chassis fan connector on the motherboard but there was a pin left over which concerned me a bit. By main chassis fan I mean the one that comes already fitted with the R4. Also, I notice your PSU is mounted with the fan pointing up towards the motherboard, I did the same thing last night but started to doubt myself and was unsure if I should point it away from the montherboard. Did you leave yours pointing up? Finally, I went for the Coolmaster 212Evo and connected this to the CPU fan pin on the motherboad, did you do the same thing? Appreciate your help with this, I'd like things to go as smoothly as possible tonight :) 
January 8, 2014 4:49:22 PM

lostinhardwarehell said:
10310758,0,948195 said:

Hi wyvernwood,
Came across the same thing last night whilst trying to do my first build. I was hoping you would be kind enough to help me clarify some things?So these connectors are for additional fans if I had some is that correct? I shouldn't put my main chassis fan connector into this should I? last night I connected this to the chassis fan connector on the motherboard but there was a pin left over which concerned me a bit. By main chassis fan I mean the one that comes already fitted with the R4. Also, I notice your PSU is mounted with the fan pointing up towards the motherboard, I did the same thing last night but started to doubt myself and was unsure if I should point it away from the montherboard. Did you leave yours pointing up? Finally, I went for the Coolmaster 212Evo and connected this to the CPU fan pin on the motherboad, did you do the same thing? Appreciate your help with this, I'd like things to go as smoothly as possible tonight :) 
said:

!