Your question

Opinions on Budget AMD Build

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2013 5:59:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I have compiled a list of parts I wish to buy in order to build my very first Gaming PC. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on the parts I have selected. The build comes out to a grand total of $790 and includes a monitor once it is all in my Newegg cart. I am mostly worried about the PSU, but if it is good, I will keep it. I am trying to stay under $800 with this build.

Also I might overclock both the video card and CPU if slightly if I need it (considering they are meant for it).

Edit: I also am planning on playing most valve games (the mods for them mostly, TTT/Gmod/etc ), Bf3, Minecraft, DayZ, and maybe some skyrim/gta. I also plan on programming web and desktop games with this and doing occasional video editing. I also live where the temperature inside can get up to 90° F, so if you think I need more cooling, let me know! :D 

The Part list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.73 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.36 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.36 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.23 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($46.35 @ Newegg)
Monitor: AOC e2251Swdn 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($107.48 @ Newegg)
Other: Newegg HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition ($209.00)
Total: $760.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-24 14:50 EST-0500)

Thankyou very much!

More about : opinions budget amd build

February 24, 2013 6:15:43 PM

It looks pretty good. I would have made a few different choices, but what you have doesn't seem bad. You have a good ratio of CPU and graphics performance along with a good choice in memory performance and capacity. That PSU isn't my first choice, but it should be sufficient. The hard drive is a somewhat slow model, but it does have good capacity for its price and it shouldn't be a big issue. Both the case and monitor are great AFAIK. The motherboard is also decent.
February 24, 2013 6:19:30 PM

blazorthon said:
It looks pretty good. I would have made a few different choices, but what you have doesn't seem bad. You have a good ratio of CPU and graphics performance along with a good choice in memory performance and capacity. That PSU isn't my first choice, but it should be sufficient. The hard drive is a somewhat slow model, but it does have good capacity for its price and it shouldn't be a big issue. Both the case and monitor are great AFAIK. The motherboard is also decent.

You think if I OC the PSU will be sufficient?
Related resources
February 24, 2013 6:23:14 PM

Moderate overclocks should be fine, but I wouldn't push your luck with heavy overclocks. I recommend against increasing any voltages.
February 24, 2013 6:28:27 PM

blazorthon said:
Moderate overclocks should be fine, but I wouldn't push your luck with heavy overclocks. I recommend against increasing any voltages.

Alright sounds good! So do you think I having everything I need in order to buy? Or do I need to get like thermal paste and extra cables?
February 24, 2013 6:33:36 PM

BrentRitztro said:
Alright sounds good! So do you think I having everything I need in order to buy? Or do I need to get like thermal paste and extra cables?

CPU's cooler should come with paste and the motherboard and such should come with pelnty of cables.

Oh, I just re-read your post and noticed what you said about temperature. You should be fine, but you might want to get a cheap after-market CPU cooler (they also come with paste) such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Hyper 212 Evo or a Zalman Optima.

Other than that, jsut make sure that your software is all covered too. IE do you have an OS copy yet?
February 24, 2013 6:39:28 PM

blazorthon said:
CPU's cooler should come with paste and the motherboard and such should come with pelnty of cables.

Oh, I just re-read your post and noticed what you said about temperature. You should be fine, but you might want to get a cheap after-market CPU cooler (they also come with paste) such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Hyper 212 Evo or a Zalman Optima.

Other than that, jsut make sure that your software is all covered too. IE do you have an OS copy yet?

Yeah I already have a windows 7 CD and Xubuntu 12.04 CD for dual boot. Also how important do you think it is that I get that cooler? Honestly, $20-$30 is negligible if you think I could lose my CPU without it.

Also can you recommend any videos/tutorials on building a gaming pc?
February 24, 2013 7:06:32 PM

blazorthon said:
I think that you'd be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to get a such a cheap cooler as one of these just to be safe.

Here's a to the Hyper 212 Plus, the cheapest of my suggestions right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Okay awesome I will add that too my cart. Also will it be able to circulate air / fit in my case well?
February 24, 2013 7:10:10 PM

BrentRitztro said:
Okay awesome I will add that too my cart. Also will it be able to circulate air / fit in my case well?

It might be a somewhat tight fit in the case (according to my math, there should be about 1" of clearance between the top of the cooler and the case), but it should fit and it shouldn't have a circulation issue.
February 24, 2013 7:13:05 PM

blazorthon said:
It might be a somewhat tight fit in the case (according to my math, there should be about 1" of clearance between the top of the cooler and the case), but it should fit and it shouldn't have a circulation issue.

Alright thank you so much!! Any other suggestions before I hit the buy button and build my very first gaming pc?

EDIT: Sorry 1 more question, do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to a 24in monitor such as this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 24, 2013 7:37:56 PM

blazorthon said:
Unless you really need a 1.5TB drive over a 1TB drive, I recommend getting a good 7.2KRPM model such as this WD Caviar Blue:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-h...

Otherwise, there isn't anything that I see as being problematic.

I think I will just stick with the 1.5 considering it is $15 cheaper and maybe put the $15 towards the 24in monitor. Unless you dont think I will need the monitor, then I will just save $45 all together! :D 
February 24, 2013 7:38:55 PM

The WD Blue that I linked is almost $20 cheaper according to my computer.
February 24, 2013 7:45:57 PM

Even then, I'd go for the faster model unless you really need more capacity than 1TB. I'm not tryign to push you towards a purchase that you don't want, I'm just saying. The extra capacity of the slower model is only helpful if you need that much capacity. The extra speed of the Blue is always helpful for boot and loading times.
February 24, 2013 7:54:21 PM

blazorthon said:
Even then, I'd go for the faster model unless you really need more capacity than 1TB. I'm not tryign to push you towards a purchase that you don't want, I'm just saying. The extra capacity of the slower model is only helpful if you need that much capacity. The extra speed of the Blue is always helpful for boot and loading times.

Alright I will do that :) . It is $5 more but whatever lol. I think that I will go for the 21.5 in monitor too btw.
February 24, 2013 8:36:25 PM

Sorry I have just noticed, my gpu needs 2x 6pin connectors. My PSU only has 1. It also needs a PCI express 3.0 connector and my mobo only has 2 PCI express 2.0 connectors. Sooo what should I do?
February 24, 2013 8:43:37 PM

Change to a different PSU. Would you like some suggestions?
February 24, 2013 8:47:49 PM

blazorthon said:
Change to a different PSU. Would you like some suggestions?

Yes please! Also will my GPU even fit with my Mobo and Case? Also sorry for the late notice but I am also looking to add a PCI Wifi card to my build, can you recommend one that will fit next to my GPU and work with my Mobo/PSU.
February 24, 2013 9:07:45 PM

Agreed with above.

Also, yes, that graphics card should fit in your case and the motherboard isn't an issue.
February 24, 2013 9:16:06 PM

Alright! Thank you very much guys!! This has racked up to about $850 now though, and that isn't even counting the PCI WiFi card I have to get..
February 24, 2013 9:35:17 PM

Well, if you want to lower the price, I'm sure that we could look for a few spots where we can be a little more lenient with component choice.
February 24, 2013 9:44:16 PM

blazorthon said:
Well, if you want to lower the price, I'm sure that we could look for a few spots where we can be a little more lenient with component choice.

Alright I like that idea. What spots do you think could be cheapened?

(Btw I have a budget of $200 per year on upgrades or $800 every 4 years. I also am fine with playing on medium settings on modern games in a few years if that makes any difference. )
February 24, 2013 10:07:19 PM

blazorthon said:
One example would be the memory kit.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmv8gx3m2a1...

That's about $10 cheaper and it'll still do the job.

Hmm alright, well I guess $10 is better than nothing! I guess I will just have to bite the bullet on this one for the other costs. Thanks for all your amazing help! I appreciate it very much!
February 24, 2013 10:41:07 PM

Glad to help :) 
February 24, 2013 11:01:03 PM

Just throwing out there, it's highly worthwhile to spend $40 extra bucks and get a Sapphire 7870 XT (also known as the powercolor Myst). It's a disabled 7950, and will thoroughly trounce any 7870, including the GHz editions.
February 24, 2013 11:10:36 PM

It's somewhat ahead of the 7870s, but it has a bad cooler. I wouldn't get a 7870 XT except for the Sapphire model and it's more expensive. OP's current build with the 7870 is already stretching the budget.
February 24, 2013 11:41:41 PM

Alright I bought the PC! Should be here in a day or two, wish me luck! If you guys want me to benchmark or post stuff about it, let me know and I will be glad to contribute back to this site.
February 25, 2013 12:28:16 AM

If you guys have any links to any GREAT tutorials on how to put a pc together with similiar parts to mine to share with me, that would be great!
February 25, 2013 12:47:36 AM

Go to microcenter.com and under amd cpu and mobo specials you can get your fx6300 and msi 970 mobo for $145 total.
February 25, 2013 12:50:37 AM

Goodeggray said:
Go to microcenter.com and under amd cpu and mobo specials you can get your fx6300 and msi 970 mobo for $145 total.

Sorry but there is no micro center near me
!