Your question

HELP! New built computer, no video, screen stays black

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2013 12:56:04 AM

Hi, I recently purchased and assembled my own computer with parts i bought from a local retail store.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570k
Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v lk
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce gtx 560 ti
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB black
Storage: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive
PSU: Ultra LSP 650 watt ATX power supply
Optical Drive: Liteon 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer
Keyboard and mice: Logitech Wireless combo
Case: Corsair CC-9011014-WW Carbide Series 300R

I used my old monitor which still works fine and plugged in the vga cable into the back of my new computer. I turned it on and everything worked fine, i saw some text on the screen and it said: keyboard not found and CPU fan error.

I restarted the computer and it told me to insert a bootable cd or installation disc.

So, I plugged in my keyboard and mouse combo usb into the back panel and i put in my motherboard manufacturer cd. I remember i shut the pc down and messed a bit with the parts and tried to put the cables aside that were jotting out. The case cables and power supply cables were messy and everywhere so i took them out of the sockets on the motherboard and tried to put some of the unwanted cables aside behind. I then turned back on the pc and no video showed. All it was, was a black screen and the led power indicator was blinking slowly. I restarted countless times but no success.

Please help

More about : built computer video screen stays black

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 2:23:20 AM

The first thing to do is make sure all of the power connections the board needs are plugged in. You most likely removed one of them by tidying the cables.
1.First of all make sure the 24 pin atx connector block is plugged into the board.
2. Next you should find an eight pin connector from the Psu that has Cpu 12v stamped on it.
This needs to be plugged in next to where the cpu socket is, or the Pc will not boot.
3. Next you want to locate the connectors that say Pci-e 12v, there may be one or two of these and they should be connected to the back edge of the graphics card depending how many power feeds the graphics card needs, in your case it should be two six pin pci-12v connectors to the back of the 560 ti graphics card. The Pc after this should boot fine.

Why you got the message insert a boot-able dvd, is because no OS resides on the new hard drive, It was asking you to insert a bootable dvd install disk of a windows os to install and set up on the new hard disk drive.

http://uk.asus.com/websites/Global/products/J4TfLoZ8TXy...
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 10:57:47 PM

weaselman said:
The first thing to do is make sure all of the power connections the board needs are plugged in. You most likely removed one of them by tidying the cables.
1.First of all make sure the 24 pin atx connector block is plugged into the board.
2. Next you should find an eight pin connector from the Psu that has Cpu 12v stamped on it.
This needs to be plugged in next to where the cpu socket is, or the Pc will not boot.
3. Next you want to locate the connectors that say Pci-e 12v, there may be one or two of these and they should be connected to the back edge of the graphics card depending how many power feeds the graphics card needs, in your case it should be two six pin pci-12v connectors to the back of the 560 ti graphics card. The Pc after this should boot fine.

Why you got the message insert a boot-able dvd, is because no OS resides on the new hard drive, It was asking you to insert a bootable dvd install disk of a windows os to install and set up on the new hard disk drive.

http://uk.asus.com/websites/Global/products/J4TfLoZ8TXy...

I have done all of this but with no success :( 
m
l
!