Screen goes black after a while after installing new graphics card

ad503055316

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Hey I'm not sure where to start but a while ago I bought a desktop and a monitor and they are

Desk Top:
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AX1420-UR10P (PT.SG9P2.003) Desktop PC Athlon II X4 645(3.1GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Monitor
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256

But the graphics card that came with the computer sucked, it simply doesn't support 3D games.

So I went ahead and bought this graphics card:

Graphics Card:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N520SL-1GI GeForce GT 520 (Fermi) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Here note that the maximum power my computer has is 220W but the graphics card needs at least 300W for it to run

So I bought this power supply unit:

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

Here's the story:

After I bought my computer and the monitor I bought the graphics card. It took me a while to figure out how to install it, but I worked my way out and installed it. So I followed the general guide to installing graphics card, remove driver first, install card, (the computer didn't have a card so the pci slots were empty) then I started my computer and tried to install the new driver with the disc that came with the graphics card. The first time it went so well that I thought it's gonna work, but after a while the screen suddenly goes back and on the top right corner it says "VGA then DVI..."
It's the screen you get when the monitor isn't plugged into a desktop.

So after that I went to look at my computer and the card and I found out the card needs more power, it needs 300W but the computer has 220W.

So I bought a 450W power supply unit, also took me a while because my case is micro ATX board. I have to leave the power supply unit outside the case.

So after I installed the power supply and the graphics card, the first time trying to install the driver also went pretty smooth but the screen then went black after a while. So I'm wondering what exactly I should do, I'm pretty sure the power supply is working. Atm I'm using the power supply but not the card and I can run my computer fine.

Addition details :
When I tried to uninstall the original graphics card driver, it kept automatically installing itself when I restart. Could that be why? But after I uninstalled it I switched to the VGA port on the new graphics card, but it still didn't work.

I have my directx updated to version 11.

Please if you're confused about anything I said tell me which part you didn't understand and I'll try my best to describe it!

Thank you for your time.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

You might need to disable the onboard in the BIOS. Most motherboards will detect that you have a dedicated card installed but sometimes you have to disable it yourself.

ad503055316

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Hey hum so I did go into BIOS. The key to enter that for me is del so I got into the BIOS screen but there are no options that allow me to change it to pci-e

Honestly the only thing that I think is even close to being related to graphics is bios integrated peripherals and the only graphic option in there is onboard graphics controller. But it is shaded, it's not allowing me to change it to "disabled" so i went ahead and uninstalled my driver in device manager then I restarted and went back into BIOS again. Now the onboard graphics controller says "disabled" but the screen still goes black.

I'd like to thank you for your help and thank you again in advance.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Do you have the option to try that video card in another computer ? If it doesnt do it with another computer then that would make it easier to find out the problem.

ad503055316

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Hey that was a fast response and unfortunately I don't have any other computer at this moment.

But I am thinking it might be the card or just my computer.

But I was told I should change the video output to PCI-E but in BIOS there's no such option.

I think that was the step I missed.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

What do you want to do with this computer?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

It is very similar to my bios screen.

Go to "Advanced BIOS Features"

Go to "IGX Configuration" or something that sounds similar.

Set it to "Disabled"

Go down the list of the Advanced BIOS features menu, you should find "Init Display First"

Set to "PEG", save changes then reboot.

Make sure your monitor is hooked up to your new card ,and that in the monitor menu it is set to display from the cable you have hooked up to it HDMI or whatever you are using.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

LOL Look around it doesn't hurt anything, look for the things I said in my post, they are probably someplace else since the model numbers are not the same between our motherboards.

ad503055316

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
I did look around

I literally tried every option there, even under other categories.

I really couldn't find anything similar to what you said in your post.

Sorry I'm a computer noob T-T

Latest posts