Fx-8350: Looking for motherboard advice

jrenkas

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hey guys.

I'm looking for a motherboard recommendation and to see if my proposed build makes sense. It will mainly be used for gaming. The main games I play are Flight simulator X, Race Room, and older games like GTR2 and GT Legends.

This is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FJPL

I need a micro ATX board as the Cougar Spike is the case I would like to use. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553011)

My only other requirement is to have the ability to use the front mount USB 3.0 port. Also, I would like to stick with AMD as my last few builds have been Intel and I want to try something new.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

mgsfreak

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

the amd does have a higher benchmark

I have been with AMD for a very long time. With my 2013 build I went with intel and can only say that while I like this build as for performance in games go there really is not a lot of difference between my AMD FX-8350 and i5 3570K. I do not know if this is going from the Sapphire HD 7950 to a Gigabyte GTX 670 I do not know.

g-unit1111

Titan

There has been a huge surge of AMD fans here lately, even though most of the numbers would say otherwise.

FX-8350 is not a good CPU choice for what you want to do. It's not bad and it'll do the job, but a CPU with so many cores being used for software that doesn't scale across more than two in most cases seems wasteful. If you're not going for Intel, then an FX-4300 or an FX-6300 woud do the same job pretty much jsut as well, but for a lot less money.

Regardless, if you want any of the above AMD CPUs, then I suggest the ASRock Extreme 4 970 as the minimum for the motherboard. It's nice, cheap, and decent even for overclocking, but it's nothing really special.

If you don't mind switching to Intel, then I'd recommend an ASRock B75M-DGS board with either an Ivy Bridge i3 or if you want more than an i3 offers, an Ivy Bridge i5.

redeemer

Distinguished
Most games are single threaded more or less and that where Intel is the strongest, however Mulit-Threaded games like Crysis 3 loves cores making the FX 8350 beats out the i7 3770k, so developers and game engines are optimizing for FX architecture and now with all the consoles packing AMD X86 cpu's we may see strong future performance from AMD cpu's.

redeemer

Distinguished

Most games still do not ultilize 4 core properly 1-2 cores will have higher ultilization than others. Hence the argument that anything more than 4 cores in gaming is a waste. Single threaded biased means the it can use more cores but with very low utilization across all of them except for 1-2 cores where higher utilization occurs. Now Crysis 3 has changed all that, looks like CMT is stronger than HT.

Crysis 3 isn't nearly the first game to eat through cores. BF3 MP and several other games in multi-player eat through as many as six to eight threads with excellent scaling.

CMT was already "stronger" that HTT. CMT is adding a whole extra core whereas HTT is just virtualizing the core to juggle two threads.

redeemer

Distinguished

Yeah but core scaling in Crysis 3 is much better than BF3. CMT vs HT is really about optimization in the software, the reason why the i7 3770k beats out the 8350 in a lot of multi-thread applications. Now modern games like BF3, Crysis, Unreal 4 games and engines are much better at using cores than older games of course.

The Intel CPUs win in the older games because they have better performance per core. Their win has nothing to do with HTT.

Also, most software doesn't knwo the difference between a physical core and an HTT thread, nor between either of them and a modular pair of cores. All that the software usually sees is a thread. The OS knows the difference and should schedule accordingly (not that it always does the best job), but the software is usually oblivious to what the cores/threads really are.

redeemer

Distinguished
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html

On the CPU side of things, we found that Battlefield 3 is not nearly as CPU demanding as many have made it out to be. Previously tested games, such as Hard Reset, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Witcher 2 and Crysis 2, saw a massive difference in performance between dual and quad-core processors. For example, in Deus Ex dual-cores were 43% slower than their quad-core counterparts. Battlefield 3 on the other hand delivered similar frame rates with a decent dual-core as it did with a quad.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

They tested single player, lol. Single player is not demanding. It's multi-player with up to 64 players where things get dicey. Tom's doesn't have any benches of multi-player.

Kaunain

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

GA-78LMT-USB 3
try this....perfect for your need!!

Kaunain

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

can u please list a game which is being optimised for 28cores?
i would want to hear about it