Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wired Internet Connection

Last response: in Networking
February 13, 2012 2:43:00 AM

I recently built a computer with an Asus P8H61-M LX mobo and am trying to connect to the internet. I had failed to overlook the fact that the port on the motherboard is a LAN port rather than a straight-up ethernet port. I understand that LAN and Internet connections are different, however they both accept RJ-45 cable. I was thinking that an internal modem would do the trick, but the ones I have seen use the PCIe 2.0 X 16 connectors. My motherboard has only one of these sockets, and it is currently used by the graphics card of my system, which is not going to be removed anytime soon. Are there modems that fit in the PCIe 2.0 X 1 sockets, or am I looking at a new mobo?
February 13, 2012 9:23:08 AM

Are you trying to set up a dial-up Internet connection? Ordinary MODEMs are available for PCI slots. If you want a faster Internet connection and you already have an external MODEM connecting to it. use a router as an intermediary between the MODEM and the LAN port.

February 13, 2012 12:13:32 PM

I am trying to set up a High Speed internet connection. My source is a router in a separate building, but a wire from that travels all the way to where I need it to be. I have plugged that wire directly into the LAN port, and the computer told me to re-install the drivers for the router. It could be due to the fact that I'm using the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Should I add another router between the source router and the computer?
Related resources
February 13, 2012 1:17:28 PM

Ignore that message - it cannot be serious. Look in the Network and Sharing Centre in Control Panel and see what the Properties of the Local Area Connection are. If the cable is the right type - Cat5e - the LAN should be connected to the router and, if that's connected to the Net, all the way to the Net.

February 13, 2012 2:55:39 PM

Squeeky said:
I had failed to overlook the fact that the port on the motherboard is a LAN port rather than a straight-up ethernet port. I understand that LAN and Internet connections are different, however they both accept RJ-45 cable.

A LAN port IS an ethernet port.

Are you sure win 7 didn't ask you to install network drivers, not router drivers? The network drivers should be on the CD/DVD that came with your motherboard.
February 14, 2012 4:14:59 AM

The motherboard did indeed come with a DVD. I shall look into that. Thanks!

Best solution

February 14, 2012 10:48:45 AM

The newest LAN drivers should also be available on your motherboard manufacturer's web site. Just look up your make/model on their site. The drivers that come on the CD tend to be older.
February 15, 2012 4:46:33 AM

Thanks! I really did only need that driver to get it online. Gracias for all your help.
February 15, 2012 4:47:15 AM

Best answer selected by Squeeky.
February 25, 2012 11:17:46 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!