Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Watercooling radeon hd 6990 on a silverstone tj09

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2013 10:55:43 PM

Hello, im new to building pc and specially watercooling i bought a used radeon hd 6990 with an ek water block so i was wondering what water cooling would be the best to cool it with, thinking about buy a rad support bracket for the silverstone case so i can put a longer rad but not sure what is compatible and whats not also i want maye dual bay reservoir any suggestions on that and the pump would be nice thanks :) 
February 24, 2013 10:57:27 PM

also do you think i should watercool my cpu(corei7 980x) since my videocard is watercooled?
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:32:27 AM

For Gaming also to let you know what im working with

CPU: core i7 980x
GPU: Radeon HD 6990 with ek waterblock
Chassis: Silverstone TJ09
MOBO: MSI bigbang xpower I
PSU: Seasonic 1000w Platinum
DDR: Gskill Sniper gaming 1866 2x8gb

i got a hand me down radiator, reaservoir and pump so not sure what it is

i think its a thermaltake single 120mm fan radiator and a small reservoir and pump i dont think its enough to cool down my video card when i play games it goes up tp 90 degrees celcius so i want to upgrade it put a radiator support bracket so i can install a dual 120mm fan inside not sure yet what to put as a reservoir pump and radiator though i would appreciate some suggestions thank you
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 4:31:42 AM

The Systems forum isn't really intended for niche topics like water-cooling more to do with general systems advice, but there is a dedicated water-cooling forum where people more knowledgeable in the subject can answer.
Luckily I know water-cooling so I'l give a basic run-down, but you should restart the topic over in the WC forum.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29-380.html

Also you may want to read through the WC'ing sticky, has a ton of info inside and will likely answer many of your questions on the topic.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-...
Might require multiple reads for everything to click.

So you want to cool a 6990, right of the bat you will need more radiator space than that 120mm. I would suspect a dual rad at least for that card, probably triple if you overclock. Also Thermaltake isn't the best company around when it comes to water, more info on the rad is needed to make sure it isn't bad for the loop (like its made of aluminium or something).
Also gonna need more info on the pump/res. A picture of it would be good, might be able to tell what it is just visually.

Available rad space, the 120mm at the back and 240mm at the top of the case. The other fan mounts aren't really usable for rad usage. So your fairly limited for native rad support, so chances are you will have to get nifty to have enough rad space. External mounting or a rad box may be necessary.
m
l
February 25, 2013 5:42:38 AM

manofchalk said:
The Systems forum isn't really intended for niche topics like water-cooling more to do with general systems advice, but there is a dedicated water-cooling forum where people more knowledgeable in the subject can answer.
Luckily I know water-cooling so I'l give a basic run-down, but you should restart the topic over in the WC forum.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29-380.html.

Oh thanks for letting me know i went ahead and started a new post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/386706-31-watercoolin...

i was also thikning would it be wise to water cool my cpu? i have a heatkiller 3.0 for the cpu but wondering if i should install that or just cool up the videocard and focus on that cause i was thinking of just installing a dual 120mm rad (please suggest any that are good that would fit my case) and still doing some research on a reservoir and pump (again if ou have any suggestions would really appreciate it) no idea which brands are reliable and have good quality thanks :)  oh you can reply on that new post instead
m
l

Best solution

February 25, 2013 6:10:02 AM

You just made a new thread on the Systems forum, not the water cooling forum.

If you have a CPU block, you might as well put it under water. Though you will have to accommodate the extra heat in your radiator choices.

Personally don't like thick rads (internally mounted anyway), slim rads take up less space and offer better price to performance (and don't require uber strong fans to use effectively). My slim rad of choice right now is the XSPC EX series.
The reservoir doesn't impact performance in any way unless its a DDC pump top, so get what looks good and will work with your loop. A res I'm looking at personally is the Swiftech Microres V2, but anything that doesn't leak will be fine.
Pump, TBH I'm not as well versed in them, pressure head, flow rates, restriction and all that still eludes me. Though from what I can tell, if you have a non-restrictive loop, you don't need a powerful pump. So something like a D5 will be fine.

All the major names are fine to use, only exception is EK if there is any Nickel involved with the product. EK a while ago released a bad batch of Nickel products that corroded pretty badly.
February 25, 2013 10:11:14 PM

lol yes i did realize this last night when i posted i was figuring out if i could delete it sorry about that i will repost in correct forum
m
l
February 25, 2013 10:38:30 PM

Best answer selected by Adrian1up.
m
l
!