Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from GTX570, budget max of $650

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2013 8:26:16 AM

Hi all

Below are all the important details of my system. Please take note of the budget range. It looks crazy high, I know, but I am from another country, so the exchange rate plus import taxes make things a bit expensive. To get those budget numbers I'm just taking our local currency and dividing by the current exchange rate, which is R8.61 (South African Rands) for $1.

I know the GTX570 is a great card, buy my wifes GPU is getting along (GTX275) and she cannot play the most recent titles anymore, not even on low graphics. So I'm planning on upgrading my GTX570 and then giving my old card to her.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week or next week (if possible) BUDGET RANGE: $500 - $650

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I mostly use my PC for gaming. I'm always into playing the newest titles.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI GeForce GTX570 - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (Noctua NH-D14), Asus P67 Sabertooth, 4 x 2 GB Corsair Dominator CL7 1600MHz, CoolerMaster HAF-X

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: IkonicIT (Local website, please use the exchange rate stated above to convert to dollars if you need to).

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have always used Nvidia cards because I have never had problems with them and I'm a Nvidia fan boy. However, at the moment the high end cards from both Nvidia and ATI compete well with ATI maybe having better prices, so I am open to suggestions.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I've been dead set on getting myself this:

KFA Geforce GTX680 - $633

It is a great price for a GTX680, the best I could find anywhere. But a recent review had me pondering an ATI card. It isn't as powerful, but maybe better value for money. The card in question:

Sapphire HD7950 OC Flex Edition - $533

I suppose I could also settle for a GTX670, but I don't know if I want to.

Any opinions or other suggestions are welcome. Please just check my local website before recommending a card since the price will differ from something like newegg.com.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 8:50:03 AM

In that Budget you can get a GTX 680\7970Ghz

I can recommend you a GTX 680.
But if you can wait until Next-Gen, which is a little near

But you can also get a GTX 670 and save up money for a SLI.
Which would ram other choices.

GTX 670 and GTX 680 have a close performance. You'll be happy with either

I would suggest you to get a GTX 670 now.
And wait for Next-Gen.
If you liked any other, then you can get that Card.
If not then get another GTX 670 for a cheaper rate in SLI.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 8:56:33 AM

www.prophecy.co.za/index.php?osCsid=bf839edbfeb5365208e...
www.comx-computers.co.za/computer-and-laptop-sales-sout...
www.landmarkpc.co.za
www.rebeltech.co.za
www.rockbottom.co.za/store/ <--- sells overclocking and networking components
www.rampage-gaming.co.za <--- geared specifically toward gamers and enthusiasts
www.fireflytech.co.za/Live/ <--- Best Buy type store for South Africa
http://www.vidicomit.co.za/ <--- sells pre-built rigs
www.takealot.com <- amazon style
www.bidorbuy.co.za <- ebay style

the sapphire flex editions are geared towards multi monitors....suggest you get the vapor X (great cooling and oc potential)

you can also check out the asus gtx670 direct cu II top...its an awesome card :) 
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:48:23 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it. I'll have a bit of a thinking session and I'll let you know what I decided to do.
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:51:29 AM

IMO you should wait for the next series of cards... the 570 is still a pretty capable GPU
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:36:41 AM

Has anyone seen any news regarding the neg gen cards from ATI and/or Nvidia? I need to know how long to wait :) 
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:43:19 AM

You're probably looking at a ~4 month wait for AMD and a 6-8 month wait for Nvidia.
m
l
January 7, 2013 12:03:19 PM

Hmm, that might be a bit too long. The problem is not the GTX570 not being good enough, it most certainly is a great card. But as I said, my wifes GTX275 is getting along though. She wants to play Hitman: Absolution, but even on lowest graphics it struggles to get playable average framerates.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 12:07:52 PM

so that means you are getting your system now.....go for the gtx670 then
m
l
January 7, 2013 12:20:34 PM

oops that was a reading fail on my part... didn't see the comment about your wife's comp

Yeah then +1 to the "get a 670" recommendation
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 8:06:16 AM

Never heard of that Brand....

But according to your Resolution. You don't need 4GB model.
But still if you want it to be Future proof, get 4GB. As you can Upgrade to 3 Monitors in future. (If you wish ;)  )
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:08:51 AM

I never heard of it either, so I asked around. Apparantly it is known as Galaxy overseas.

I don't plan on ever going to 3 monitors. So does that mean I should save some money and go for the 2GB version?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 8:13:21 AM

Any game will not cross 2GB VRAM at 1920x1080

But games do cross it at 2560x1600

And if you don't think of Upgrading Monitors or something, 4GB is a waste.
Get 2GB instead
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:24:45 AM

BigMack70 said:
IMO you should wait for the next series of cards... the 570 is still a pretty capable GPU

Agree with this.
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:28:47 AM

Scotty99 said:
Agree with this.

You didn't read my whole first post then. Once again, I need to replace my wifes GTX275, that is why I'm upgrading my GTX570 and giving the 570 to her.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 8:34:10 AM

I'm a little surprised to see the that your whole Family loves gaming. :love: 
I can only hope to have this kind of family. Well, now I can't :lol: 
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:34:26 AM

Does your wife really need a 570 tho lol. It sounds to me like you got money burnin a hole in your pocket :p 

Keep 570 in your system get the wife a gtx 460 for 100 bucks lol.
m
l
January 8, 2013 8:55:36 AM

It's halfway between me having money burning a hole in my pocket and my wife needing a new GPU. The GTX275 is struggling with some of the newer games and I like upgrading my pc, so its a win for me and a win for her.

And stop being the voice of reason Scotty. :p 

I need you to justify my decision for me. :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 8:59:38 AM

go for the gtx670 2GB....that is enough to max out all titles at 1080p

4gb is just a waste indeed as @ sumukh pointed out....at least for the present titles.
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:11:45 AM

haha

Ill say this much, im having some issues with WoW on my GTX 4++ series card so yes, you need to buy a 670 : )

IMO galaxy makes the best 600 series coolers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You pay a bit of a premium, but its nice knowing your card cools better than all the rest of them : )
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:27:07 AM

4GB version is available here, but as previous guys said, 4GB is only needed for higher than 1080p resolutions, which I won't run. So 2GB is more than enough.
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:27:46 AM

Well i need to start fully reading threads it seems : )

Either way try and pick a galaxy, they have seriously stepped up their game and make amazing cards in the 600 series. If you cannot find a galaxy on any of your websites the twin frozr 3 would be my next choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 9:33:27 AM

Blazzok said:
4GB version is available here, but as previous guys said, 4GB is only needed for higher than 1080p resolutions, which I won't run. So 2GB is more than enough.

2gb indeed is more than enough....
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:45:07 AM

Scotty99 said:
Well i need to start fully reading threads it seems : )

Either way try and pick a galaxy, they have seriously stepped up their game and make amazing cards in the 600 series. If you cannot find a galaxy on any of your websites the twin frozr 3 would be my next choice.

I think you should yes :) 

Think I mentioned this earlier, but we don't have Galaxy here in South Africa. We do have KFA2 though, and apparently they are just Galaxy rebranded, so it is basically the same thing.

I'm just waiting for stock confirmation right now, them I'm going to order the KFA2 GTX 670 2GB EX OC.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, appreciate it.
m
l
!