Upgrading from GTX570, budget max of $650

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi all

Below are all the important details of my system. Please take note of the budget range. It looks crazy high, I know, but I am from another country, so the exchange rate plus import taxes make things a bit expensive. To get those budget numbers I'm just taking our local currency and dividing by the current exchange rate, which is R8.61 (South African Rands) for $1.

I know the GTX570 is a great card, buy my wifes GPU is getting along (GTX275) and she cannot play the most recent titles anymore, not even on low graphics. So I'm planning on upgrading my GTX570 and then giving my old card to her.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week or next week (if possible) BUDGET RANGE: $500 - $650

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I mostly use my PC for gaming. I'm always into playing the newest titles.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI GeForce GTX570 - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (Noctua NH-D14), Asus P67 Sabertooth, 4 x 2 GB Corsair Dominator CL7 1600MHz, CoolerMaster HAF-X

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: IkonicIT (Local website, please use the exchange rate stated above to convert to dollars if you need to).

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have always used Nvidia cards because I have never had problems with them and I'm a Nvidia fan boy. However, at the moment the high end cards from both Nvidia and ATI compete well with ATI maybe having better prices, so I am open to suggestions.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I've been dead set on getting myself this:

KFA Geforce GTX680 - $633

It is a great price for a GTX680, the best I could find anywhere. But a recent review had me pondering an ATI card. It isn't as powerful, but maybe better value for money. The card in question:

Sapphire HD7950 OC Flex Edition - $533

I suppose I could also settle for a GTX670, but I don't know if I want to.

Any opinions or other suggestions are welcome. Please just check my local website before recommending a card since the price will differ from something like newegg.com.

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
In that Budget you can get a GTX 680\7970Ghz

I can recommend you a GTX 680.
But if you can wait until Next-Gen, which is a little near

But you can also get a GTX 670 and save up money for a SLI.
Which would ram other choices.

GTX 670 and GTX 680 have a close performance. You'll be happy with either

I would suggest you to get a GTX 670 now.
And wait for Next-Gen.
If you liked any other, then you can get that Card.
If not then get another GTX 670 for a cheaper rate in SLI.

www.prophecy.co.za/index.php?osCsid=bf839edbfeb5365208e6258253a99f06
www.comx-computers.co.za/computer-and-laptop-sales-south-africa.php
www.landmarkpc.co.za
www.rebeltech.co.za
www.rockbottom.co.za/store/ <--- sells overclocking and networking components
www.rampage-gaming.co.za <--- geared specifically toward gamers and enthusiasts
www.fireflytech.co.za/Live/ <--- Best Buy type store for South Africa
http://www.vidicomit.co.za/ <--- sells pre-built rigs
www.takealot.com <- amazon style
www.bidorbuy.co.za <- ebay style

the sapphire flex editions are geared towards multi monitors....suggest you get the vapor X (great cooling and oc potential)

you can also check out the asus gtx670 direct cu II top...its an awesome card :)

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hmm, that might be a bit too long. The problem is not the GTX570 not being good enough, it most certainly is a great card. But as I said, my wifes GTX275 is getting along though. She wants to play Hitman: Absolution, but even on lowest graphics it struggles to get playable average framerates.

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I never heard of it either, so I asked around. Apparantly it is known as Galaxy overseas.

I don't plan on ever going to 3 monitors. So does that mean I should save some money and go for the 2GB version?

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

You didn't read my whole first post then. Once again, I need to replace my wifes GTX275, that is why I'm upgrading my GTX570 and giving the 570 to her.

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
It's halfway between me having money burning a hole in my pocket and my wife needing a new GPU. The GTX275 is struggling with some of the newer games and I like upgrading my pc, so its a win for me and a win for her.

And stop being the voice of reason Scotty. :p

I need you to justify my decision for me. :D

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Well i need to start fully reading threads it seems : )

Either way try and pick a galaxy, they have seriously stepped up their game and make amazing cards in the 600 series. If you cannot find a galaxy on any of your websites the twin frozr 3 would be my next choice.

Blazzok

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

I think you should yes :)

Think I mentioned this earlier, but we don't have Galaxy here in South Africa. We do have KFA2 though, and apparently they are just Galaxy rebranded, so it is basically the same thing.

I'm just waiting for stock confirmation right now, them I'm going to order the KFA2 GTX 670 2GB EX OC.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, appreciate it.