Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build, not a noob

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2013 11:59:21 PM

New member but Ive been browsing this forum for years. Alright been playing on an alienware m17x that I got for college for way to long now and decided its time to move up in the world. This build will be completely purchased by the end of March but wanted opinions first. Im 25 now and built my first pc from a box of spare parts my dad had when I was 15 so Id say im still very familiar with what works and what doesnt. Ive also researched the hell out of each part before adding it to this list. Pc will be used primarily for gaming with music production software like ableton.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
I chose the 3570k over the 3770k because because I dont believe I will have any use for hyperthreading while gaming. I will be using Ableton Live which is software for creating and producing performing music though so if the i7 might be the better choice lemme know. I will be overclocking somewhere between 4.2-4.4GHz

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.02 @ Amazon)
Well knowing I will be overclocking this seemed to be the best when it comes to air cooling.

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
sabertooth for that 5 year warranty

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Lots of music, need a large drive. This seemed like one of the better for the price

Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($237.99 @ Newegg)
After all the research this seems to be one of that faster ssds on the market. I wanted the fastest because I have no patience when it comes to booting windows and opening apps. Fast equals less stress.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($380.04 @ Newegg)
I was going to pick the 680 but it seems like a very minimal performance increase over this card.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg)
I love the HAF series and needed a large case for that cooler.

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Might add a second 670 sometime down the road so wanted to make sure I had adequate power for another gpu

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
asus or gtfo

Only questions I really have is if 2 670s sli will in any way bottleneck the 3570k and second is 750w enough for 2 670s and a 3570k overclocked a bit??

Thanks everyone for opinions.

More about : build noob

February 25, 2013 12:03:49 AM

No chance they will bottleneck the 3570k.
m
l

Best solution

February 25, 2013 12:13:38 AM

You shouldn't get an NH-D14 for an i5-3570K unless you already own the cooler. The i5-3570K doesn't generate a low of heat, it needs a cooler with very high thermal conductivity and the NH-D14 is not that sort of cooler because of the block between its heat pipes and where it touches the CPU. Something like a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, although technically an inferior cooler, can easily beat the NH-D14 when it comes to Ivy Bridge overclocking.

Otherwise, your build is excellent. Definitely not a noob ;) 
Related resources
February 25, 2013 1:18:36 AM

If you are only going to store music and things like that on your HDD, the Western Digital Red line should be OK. But it's not a performance drive. If you can fit all your high demand stuff on the SSD, you should be good.
m
l
February 25, 2013 1:25:00 AM

Even if OP can't fit everything on the SSD, jsut fitting Windows and a few main things takes a huge load off of the HDD. An SSD as a boot drive lets a decent 5.4KRPM drive trade blows if not beat a 7.2KRPM hard drive that is the boot drive, at least for Windows simply because that 7.2KRPM drive, although faster, has more work (especially in semi-random accesses) to deal with.
m
l
February 25, 2013 2:27:24 AM

What do you think the difference in temp would be between the two coolers? I see what you are saying the heat pipes have direct contact with the cpu not the plate then the heat pipes.

Yes the ssd should be plenty of room for now for windows, games and apps. If anything Ill grab a WD black down the road. The WD red will be specifically music, files, movies etc.

Thanks for all the input!! Awesome advice!!
m
l
February 25, 2013 2:35:47 AM

I doubt that it would be huge, but I think that it'd be at least a few degrees F. It's difficult to make an exact estimation because of the variables involved ranging from how good at overclocking your CPU is to the load it's running at and more.

Glad to help :) 
m
l
February 25, 2013 2:57:18 AM

It looks fine to me enjoy!
m
l
February 25, 2013 11:38:28 PM

Best answer selected by ascension505.
m
l
!