Sign in with
Your question

Custom cooler for reference gpu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2013 9:25:44 AM

I never was a fan of reference cooled cards, but the other day I came a cross an awesome deal that I could not say no to ..
I bought the EVGA GTX 680 for 320 $ :D  , it's a very nice card but the cooling is awful (I think).. on Idle it's around 30c but after a couple of hours of borderlands 2 it got to 68c (75c max) ...

This is the card : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a friend told me to buy a new VGA cooler like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

but i'm not sure what to do ..

January 7, 2013 9:05:37 PM

any thoughts ?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 9:15:29 PM

You don't need to go off and buy a aftermarket cooler for your video card. Your card is staying plenty cool sir. The only reason people don't go for reference cards say for example if they went for a different card other than EVGA say a ASUS card with a directcuII cooler or msi twin frozr cooler is because they are generally more quiet and cool. That being said though you get excellent support and a excellent warranty through evga and all that goes away when you install something like that.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2013 10:56:08 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You don't need to go off and buy a aftermarket cooler for your video card. Your card is staying plenty cool sir. The only reason people don't go for reference cards say for example if they went for a different card other than EVGA say a ASUS card with a directcuII cooler or msi twin frozr cooler is because they are generally more quiet and cool. That being said though you get excellent support and a excellent warranty through evga and all that goes away when you install something like that.

so 75c is safe for the card?
and my card is out of warranty, I bought it from a guy so cheap, his dad bought it for him and he wanted the 690 lol, so he sold it ..
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 11:38:14 PM

On 100% load yes it is perfectly fine. When you are in the mid 80's I'd start to worry. As long as you keep your case cool and blow the dust out regularly you should be more then fine sir :) 
m
l
!