i7 Gaming Build

Lid2z

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
This is the first time I'm building a PC, and I'm excited. I have an idea of what I'm doing, and if I get stuck I'll use manuals. I know this is my first build, and I'm using pretty expensive parts, but I figure it's cheaper now to spend the money then to have to upgrade later... First of all am I going to run into any problems with this build (components below), and what should I expect the first time I boot up the computer?

Case: Rosewill Thor v2 (full tower)
MoBo: AsRock z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge (I'm doing more then gaming, and I think this CPU will come in handy when doing school work... computer programming major)
GPU: Galaxy Gefore GTX 680 White Edition
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2x8)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R
Cooling: The case comes with a few fans, but incase I want to replace the 230mm fans, I'll have 5 of these
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

Approximate Purchase Date: March 7
Budget Range: $2200 usd
System Usage from Most to Least Important: School (learning to program), Gaming, Video Editing
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Parts to Upgrade: see above
Do you need to buy OS: Yes Win7 64-bit
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia GeForce
Overclocking: Maybe when I learn to
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments:
Why Are You Upgrading?: I'm not upgrading anything, except this old compaq laptop I got three years ago

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
1st thing is your ram. If you are doing some crazy heavy ram usage, there is no need for 16gb. 8gb is enough for a computing major/gaming. Are you going to SLI that? If not, that is too much power that is not need. Get a 750W. THat would save you $50 I think? Anyway, do you have a storage? Are you going to overclock? If not you don't really need an unlock version. I think that's it. Good luck.
Oh, if you are gaming on single monitor, a gtx 670 would be enough, that is like 5% extra, but if you got money and are looking to extend to more monitors then thats fine.

Lid2z

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I'm getting a seagate barracuda 2tb, added that to the first post. And no I'm not going to SLI anytime soon, probably never actually, unless I get a free card... Isn't overdoing wattage better then underdoing it? What if i want to add a custom liquid cooling kit to it later? Would the extra watts actually damage the computer, or just run my electric bill?

Lid2z

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Does anyone know anything about the video card? Because from what info I can find, it sounds pretty good with the stock over clocking, but I don't know if I trust Galaxy's technical support =/

AcidElement

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I would say go with ASUS. Also you might want to keep in mind that the GTX 670 is next in line when it comes to performance, and it still out performs the 7970 Ghz. So if you want to save some money and only sacrifice a tiny bit of performance, go with the 670. I have SLI 670's, but before that I only had one and it worked wonders.

On a single monitor, the 670 performs just a bit worse than a 680 but saves a lot of money. You could find a 670 stock overclocked. Also, it's pointless getting so much watts if your not using it. Get something like a 600w atleast 80 + bronze

Lid2z

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
thanks guys, i'll do some more research when I get off work tonight.. and I really do appreciate it, it's about ordering time. I'll try to remember to post some pics when it comes in.