Choppy Mouse in all games.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hello,

I am seeing two mouse pointers on my screen! I only have one mouse connected.

I have a dual monitor setup, my second monitor sits above my main monitor. If I move my mouse pointer to the top of my main screen and then up to the second display, then move my mouse pointer back down to the main display, I get a second mouse pointer that sits at the top of the main display!

Any idead what could be causing such an issue.? I have just updated to the lastest Nvidia drivers for my GTX 680's.

I should add that the second display is connected to my ASUS V EXTREME onboard video.

System is running Windows 8 all up to date.

I did do a print screen but neither mouse pointer shows on the image from the print screen.

Thanks

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hello,

I have a MAXIMUS V EXTREME mobo which I have running in my water cooled rig.

I am having problems with mouse movement being choppy in games. All games feel choppy, not just certain titles.

I have tried a huge amount of different bits and pieces to get the mouse to behave smoothly. I will describe what I have currently tried below.

I have tried several different mice, from low end simple mice, to top end gaming mice, I have tried these in all of the available USB ports, on the back of the rig directly on the mobo, and also the front panel ports, various different settings have been tried, different DPI, Windows sensitivity settings, game specific sensitivity and smoothness settings, polling settings etc etc, while changing some settings will indeed reduce the choppiness, the problem still remains. All of these mice are USB. One thing I have not tried is a PS/2 mouse.

I have tried fresh installations of Windows 7, and now running a fresh install of Windows 8. Mice are still choppy in games.

I have updated ALL drivers for all devices, I have updated the boards BIOS to latest version.

I have tried three different monitors to rule out problems with refresh rates, I have tried various settings with my ASUS GTX680's in SLi. Tried using just one card, both cards, cards at different speeds, cards in different slots on the mobo. All to no avail.

I have tried various different settings in the BIOS, some people have said that disabling Hyper Threading for the Intel 3770k helps, but for me, sadly not in this case.

I have played about with different memory speeds, CPU speeds etc etc. Nothing seems to resolve this problem.

I have tried several different gaming surfaces which have little no impact on the mouse choppiness.

I have 6 other rigs, all of them with ASUS boards of different models, but none with this specific problem.

One thing that I have noticed is that with certain devices plugged into a USB port, be it on the back of the motherboard or using one of the front panel ports, Windows is somehow prevented from detecting new USB devices from being connected. One example is if I have say an SD Card Reader plugged into a front panel USB port, and then remove my mouse from the back of the rig, and then reconnect the mouse, Windows will detect that it has been disconnected, but Windows will not detect that it has been re-connected. However, as soon as I remove the SD Card Reader from the USB port, Windows will detect the mouse and allow me to use it?!?!?

I am at a loss to understand what is going on here and need your help to try and resolve what is causing this very frustrating problem. I have spent a serious amount of money building a gaming rig, which while its great at Folding@Home, its not so great as a gaming machine due to this mouse problem!!

Your help in resolving this problem is very much appreciated.

My rig specs:

Custom Water Cooling System
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU
Asus MAXIMUS V EXTREME Z77 Socket 1155
Intel Core i7 3770K OC@4.5Ghz
Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133MHz 16GB 4x240 DIMM Unbuffered 9-11-10-27
2 x ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP Cards
2 x OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD's in RAID0
Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive SATA-III

Games that I have installed on the rig include; BF3, CS:S, MW3, Starcraft, Skyrim and a few others. All suffer with this problem.

And thanks if you actually read all of the above.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried several mice.

R.A.T 9
R.A.T 7
Razer DeathAdder
Logitech G500 and G9x

And other non-gaming mice.

I will try and get hold of a PS/2 mouse to see if that makes a difference.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

I have not noticed any over activity of the HDD's during any gaming.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Could it be my screen? It only has a refresh rate of 60hz. When I run StarCraft and check FPS with FRAPS I am seeing over 200 FPS. Maybe my screen cant keep up.

I'm sure PS/2 will help but you can try. I'm surprised with the G500 its a lot like the original G5. Razer normally makes amazing mice I have the razer naga epic love it. Rat mice lol no comment :)

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
But then, when I enable v sync and of course the FPS is locked to 60 and the stuttering, choppiness or what ever you want to call it still remains. So its probably not that.

You could just get an adapter USB-->PS2. No need to get another mouse.

No it isn't your screen kind sir :) if you are worried about stuttering which you may be experiencing turn on adaptive vsync and see if that helps.

1334549254xAknM1AAS2_1_10_l.gif
go into nvidia control panel and set the setting to adaptive it may help out.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

It is an odd issue. But it seems to be system wide, no specific mouse is better than the other with this particular problem.

Good idea! Nice one :)

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I agree. This is really odd. I'd be frustrated as hell if this were to happen to me. Good job on being patient. You're almost there.

Do you have Lucid Virtu installed? As that could be giving you problems. There are settings etc to tweak but at this point if you have Lucid Virtu installed easiest way to diagnose is uninstall and reboot.

Your monitor is connected to your GTX 680 not the on board graphics ports? Some folks do connect to on-board and install Lucid Virtu.

How is your FPS?
In BF3 can enter commands by hitting the ~ key then type, Render.drawfps 1 to turn on the FPS display.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

It is very odd. I am beginning to think that there is either a problem with the USB ports, the CPU or even the RAM, but all tests, including stress test do not report any errors or system instability. PC runs a dream except for this one very annoying problem. I am just thinking of changing the motherboard and cpu to something different. Not something I want to do but I built this rig for gaming, and as I cant game with it, its kind of become pointless and useless.

Tried all USB ports buddy.

Its not installed, there is also a setting in the BIOS regarding Lucid Virtu and this is also disabled.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

Yes, I have the monitor plugged into the GTX680.

I am getting over 200fps in StarCraft 2. Just done yet another fresh install of Windows 8 so have not got any of the other games installed at the moment.

One thing that I forgot to mention was when I had BF3 installed, if i used an XBOX 360 controller, the game was smooth, no stuttering, choppiness etc.

DoZZa

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I see my other topic has been merged with this one.

I would like to point out that the dual mouse pointer has been resolved and only happened today.

That problem, has or indeed had nothing to do with the continuing mouse stuttering/choppiness in games.

I am seriously thinking of ditching the ASUS mobo and probably upgrading the CPU at the same time.

Anyone have any recommendations on a motherboard better than the Maximus V Extreme and a CPU to match?