[newbie] Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones

Last response: in Home Audio
April 24, 2004 2:23:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
(http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).

But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
(Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.

Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
a headphone-amp?
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 7:47:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

"beeyp jars" wrote
| I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
| (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
| But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
| (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
| Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
| a headphone-amp?

The volume will depend on how sensitive the headphones are. It won't hurt to
try it though.

Owain
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 8:26:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

In article <EPfic.610$yd1.356@newsfe1-win>,
beeyp jars <unf@punf.com> wrote:
> I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
> (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).

> But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
> (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.

> Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
> a headphone-amp?

Pretty well all headphones will work ok off a 32 ohm output. High
impedance types may not go as loud as they can, but the difference is
likely to be marginal.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman dave.sound@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
RIP Acorn
April 25, 2004 9:11:10 PM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:23:42 +0100, beeyp jars <unf@punf.com> wrote:

>I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
>(http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
>
>But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
>(Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
>
>Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
>a headphone-amp?

Don't expect miracles from the direct output of a sound card whatever
the rating. But the mismatch here isn't huge.

If you're into music, you feed the output into a decent stereo system,
I hope? Not into toy "computer" speakers. This will have a
headphone jack.
April 27, 2004 6:21:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

I've heard beyer 880's, 990's, and 770's. I really wasn't impressed
with any of them. For that price, my advice would be to go with a pair
of grados.

beeyp jars wrote:

> I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
> (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
>
> But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
> (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
>
> Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
> a headphone-amp?
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:32:33 PM

tim wrote:
> I've heard beyer 880's, 990's, and 770's. I really wasn't impressed
> with any of them. For that price, my advice would be to go with a pair
> of grados.

The headphones will be worn for very long periods and the Grados will be
painful (think 6 hours+ per day).

Hence I prefer Circumaural headphones that rest around the ears.
!