New Gaming PC ~$1000, need SSD/PSU Advice

xyth

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: Around $1000.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Showing off how sexy it looks ;) and Gaming of course

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Pretty much everything important, I have an XFX Radeon HD 6870 that I am going to use in this build for now since I can't really afford to get the card I want (GTX 670 2gb), which I'll buy in a few months. Just to double check the radeon hd 6870 is compatible with what I've got going on here right?

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: I'm going for a very clean looking black with red accents theme with this build. Big reason I went with the Asus Sabertooth motherboard was because of how amazingly clean it looks. Same reason I went with the liquid CPU cooler over a giant air cooler which I think throws off the sleek look I'm going for (first time using liquid cooling but a closed loop system looks very simple to deal with).

So I seem to be pretty set with the CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Case/Cooler I've picked out here, unless ofcourse you can give me a convincing argument to go in a different direction (please feel free to do so). I'm mainly looking for advice on what to get for my SSD and PSU. I've read that the 120/128gb for SSD's is the place to be as far as price per storage capacity goes and I've heard good things about the Samsung 840 120gb or maybe the OCZ Vertex 3 120gb? I'm pretty close to around $1000 with what I have so far so I can't spend too too much on the PSU and I'm not sure how much wattage I need, I'm guessing around 650 to 750ish? It doesn't have to follow the black/red theme of the build but that would be a plus of course, what do you guys recommend?

I mainly play Path of Exile and Dota2 nowadays and probably the new Bioshock in the near future among other things.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My last build is around 5 years old and is starting to fail. Looking to upgrade to a decent rig that will last me a long time with some certain key upgrades in the future.

What I've got so far:
Intel Core i5-3570K
Corsair H100
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3
Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower

These put me at around $750

Needed:
SSD and PSU
Maybe a decent/reliable/cheap HDD for storage (honestly the 120/128gb from the SSD can handle everything I need but its always good to be prepared in the future)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FMg3

Thank you for helping me out!

xyth

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Thank you for your input! No I don't think ill be going with sli or crossfire anytime in the near future so 600w is what i should aim for? And would the h110 fit in the obsidian 550d? It says it has room to accommodate almost any 240mm radiator but the 110 is a 280mm radiator. If not, the h100i does look like a better choice over the h100.

P.s. just want to make sure that xfx radeon hd 6870 is compatible with my setup. It is right?

Yep the 6870 will be compatible

I don't think the 280mm rad will fit cuz from what I read, the rad will hit the top hot swap bay due to the thickness of the rad+fan and it's length getting in the way

I would get the h100i just to be safe

based on this the h80i is a pretty good buy too, but if you add 2 more fans to the h100i for push pull it should drop temps even mroe
52896.png

The 128GB Sandisk Ultra is a pretty cheap good buy
The fatest SSD's arround are the Samsung 840 pro and OCZ vector, just get the cheapest one if you want the fastest speed but the sandisk is the fast enough

For PSU I would get an 750/850 silver/bronze PSU from xfx or corsair depending on who is cheaper, this will allow good CFX/SLI

For motherbaord, you can actually save quite a bit by going for the gigabyte ud3h is you don't need the IO or the ud5h if you need the extra IO

TimeLass

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
hmm... you can still do it anyway...something like this...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G2bX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G2bX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G2bX/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($147.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTB12N-R 53.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $806.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-25 22:12 EST-0500)

add in Bitfenix red colour LED strips to make it looks nicer... and Asus's GPU in the future...

you might want to get this too...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227916&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=