GTX 660 vs GTX 560

GTX 660 vs CPU vs Motherboard
Hey guys , please help me on this today :D

this my combo:

ASUS GTX 560 II OC
Gigabyte Z68AP-3d (rev 1.0)
8 GB DDR 3
I5 2300 2.8 GHZ

i am thinking of upgrading my Graphic Card to GTX 660 (Best one available in my city stores :( )
is it worth upgrading my card?

By the way my GTX 560 is running very good for now!

What do you think?
62 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. What resolution are you running? The 660 is notably faster.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/543?vs=660
  2. I'm in a similar boat, but with a 560ti vs a 660ti. Honestly, I'm waiting for the 700 series. The 6**s have improved rates, but you're only one generation behind. Save up for the 700's.

And they're coming out in a couple months, I guess
  3. And if you really want to upgrade now, I recommend step it up a bit and get the 670.

Personally, I would wait for a while because I still think the 560 has some juice left and get the 700 series when they come out, but that's just me.
  4. Thank you guys

but like i sad before this the best one available for now , and something like 670 for 680 the only way to see it is in my dreams or the web!!!

does the 660 worth upgrading from 560 for now?
  5. It's worth it.
  6. and my Resolution is 1600 x 900
  7. It's worth it. You can probably max most games at that res
  8. Mesbahi said:
    does the 660 worth upgrading from 560 for now?

You'd have to be quite desperate for better frame rates. Generally it's not worth it.
  9. I have a GTX 460 1GB/256 bit from asus and i am in doubt that i need to upgrade to the 660ti, even if the benchmark numbers show about 40% improvement. Hell, i can play everything @ 1080p @ high/ultra with custom settings so whats the point :P, but thats just me :)
  10. i think it worth it a 660 is very nearto a 580 now and i think i's gonna perform like it when using latest driver however here is the performance summary for the new cards
    ur card the 560 is like a 650 ti
  11. You've almost waited long enough for the 700s. At least hold out for when they come out and the 600 go down in price.
  12. I agree that you should just wait for the 700 series to come out. You've already waited this long.
  13. Mesbahi said:
    GTX 660 vs CPU vs Motherboard
    Hey guys , please help me on this today :D

this my combo:

ASUS GTX 560 II OC
    Gigabyte Z68AP-3d (rev 1.0)
    8 GB DDR 3
    I5 2300 2.8 GHZ

i am thinking of upgrading my Graphic Card to GTX 660 (Best one available in my city stores :( )
    is it worth upgrading my card?

By the way my GTX 560 is running very good for now!

What do you think?

If you can wait i honestly would go for the gtx 770 honestly to get more pop out of the card. I have the 660ti and even tho i could wait and get the 760ti for around the same price i wanna step up to a more higher end card so the 770 would be a better option for me. Thats just my opinion. I tell everyone this because we coming close to the 700 release and at this moment i dont think its smart buying a 600 series series if you going to a higher end card due to those come out around between march-may which isnt that bad of a wait and worth it
  14. determinologyz said:
    If you can wait i honestly would go for the gtx 770 honestly to get more pop out of the card. I have the 660ti and even tho i could wait and get the 760ti for around the same price i wanna step up to a more higher end card so the 770 would be a better option for me. Thats just my opinion. I tell everyone this because we coming close to the 700 release and at this moment i dont think its smart buying a 600 series series if you going to a higher end card due to those come out around between march-may which isnt that bad of a wait and worth it

It's not a bad move to buy a 600 series card now, it's just that from a 560 to 660 isn't really what I call smart purchase. The improvement is significant, but in my opinion, not significant enough. That's why I think the best upgrade from a 560 is a 670 though that is beyond OP's budget as he stated.
  15. EzioAs said:
    It's not a bad move to buy a 600 series card now, it's just that from a 560 to 660 isn't really what I call smart purchase. The improvement is significant, but in my opinion, not significant enough. That's why I think the best upgrade from a 560 is a 670 though that is beyond OP's budget as he stated.

True i still dont think its smart tho. Atleast wait till the 770 comes out because around for the same price he can get a better card and save up..Even if he doesnt buy the 770 atleast he will know whats out there and wont have buyers remorse. I say this from experience. The 670 yes would be a GREAT improvement over the 560 he has im not knocking you there but we close to release why not save a bit and go all out u know
  16. Ima tell a little story..I had the gtx 460 fpb version2 and when the 660ti back in july i bought that and yea that was a big upgrade for me yeh eveything was running smooth getting nice frames but if i could do it again from having the 460 i would of bought a 670. Im saying the same from a 560 to 660 is nice and in his case a 560 to a 670 would be great but what would be even sick is a 560 to a 770 that in my opinion is more worth it to me
  17. determinologyz said:
    Ima tell a little story..I had the gtx 460 fpb version2 and when the 660ti back in july i bought that and yea that was a big upgrade for me yeh eveything was running smooth getting nice frames but if i could do it again from having the 460 i would of bought a 670. Im saying the same from a 560 to 660 is nice and in his case a 560 to a 670 would be great but what would be even sick is a 560 to a 770 that in my opinion is more worth it to me

That's a good advice, but do we already have an official announcement on 700 series release date?
  18. EzioAs said:
    That's a good advice, but do we already have an official announcement on 700 series release date?

No but i dont see those cards coming out any later. nvidia is on a time line like amd both has to eat (make money) so i wouldnt be surprised if both companys in the woodworks. Nvidia keeps everything a secret tho but im pretty sure its going to be march-may just like the 600 series..The lower end cards will come out later on the year 660ti 660 650 650ti july-oct
  19. crisan_tiberiu said:
    I have a GTX 460 1GB/256 bit from asus and i am in doubt that i need to upgrade to the 660ti, even if the benchmark numbers show about 40% improvement. Hell, i can play everything @ 1080p @ high/ultra with custom settings so whats the point :P, but thats just me :)

Im in the same boat as you, except im using the 768mb/192 bit version and I can play most things at 1080p high/ultra with few things lowered (shadows/ûbersampling/SSAO) Only play Skyrim, WoW, BF3 mostly so this works for me atm. Theyre both still decent cards, though mines more gimped :( but im cool with it till I see what the 700 series offers :)
  20. You should categorize GPU's by fab process 1st and corporate badging a distant second. So the 400/500 series are approx the same at 40nm and 600/700, same story but at 28nm. The yields for the 700 series should be a bit better(like 500 vs. 400) so there will be a slight performance increase. Unless the GPU in particular is just given a new number, but is an old GFxxx part.

The next real jump should be the 800 series in 2014 or so. A rather long wait.
  21. determinologyz said:
    No but i dont see those cards coming out any later. nvidia is on a time line like amd both has to eat (make money) so i wouldnt be surprised if both companys in the woodworks. Nvidia keeps everything a secret tho but im pretty sure its going to be march-may just like the 600 series..The lower end cards will come out later on the year 660ti 660 650 650ti july-oct

AMD were ahead of Nvidia last time and probably will be again this time.
  22. wdmfiber said:
    You should categorize GPU's by fab process 1st and corporate badging a distant second. So the 400/500 series are approx the same at 40nm and 600/700, same story but at 28nm. The yields for the 700 series should be a bit better(like 500 vs. 400) so there will be a slight performance increase. Unless the GPU in particular is just given a new number, but is an old GFxxx part.

The next real jump should be the 800 series in 2014 or so. A rather long wait.

Yea the 800 series is going to be mind blowing tends to happen that way every gen
  23. Sakkura said:
    AMD were ahead of Nvidia last time and probably will be again this time.

Amd 8000 series will prob hit this month or next
  24. determinologyz said:

Yes... and the Geforce 700 series probably won't.
  25. Sakkura said:
    Yes... and the Geforce 700 series probably won't.

Thats why i said march-may within those months the 780 and the 770 will come out..Dont know if they doing a 790 but if so that will be within those months to
  26. At 1600x900 you'll be fine with the 560 for a little while longer. And in my opinion, no one should upgrade generationally (ie geforce 500 -> 600) unless you have a bad entry level card and really need the upgrade. You'll be much happier and save a lot of money by upgrading every other generation. Wait a few months and get the 760. No game is going to come out in that timeframe that you can't run, and you'll get a 70-90% performance boost instead of a 30-40% boost for roughly the same amount of money.
  27. Daedalus12 said:
    At 1600x900 you'll be fine with the 560 for a little while longer. And in my opinion, no one should upgrade generationally (ie geforce 500 -> 600) unless you have a bad entry level card and really need the upgrade. You'll be much happier and save a lot of money by upgrading every other generation. Wait a few months and get the 760. No game is going to come out in that timeframe that you can't run, and you'll get a 70-90% performance boost instead of a 30-40% boost for roughly the same amount of money.

Honestly if it were i would go 770 and invest 1080p..Just me tho Even then he could go 1200p
  28. it's 2013. wait for the 700 series
  29. I would say you really don't need an upgrade since that 560 can still max out most games. You should only upgrade your GPU if it can't handle games on medium settings! thats what I usually do.
  30. determinologyz said:

Are you sure?
  31. Well i always like to stay up date..I can say the same about the gtx 660ti it does pretty well on high settings but i do want something better like the 770 and true blood i dont see them being any longer..Both companys is on the hush hush and gpus pop out of nowhere and chocostain i agreee waiting to see what your options is would be a better option. As i said before the people buying 600 series as of to day will bang they heads against the wall when the 700 series come out
  32. Haha, indeed they'll do.
  33. I'd hold off or go AMD at this point. I have 2 560s in sli and have used a single 560. Its a card that can get by for now. The issue I have with the 660/660 ti is the memory chokes. The card is fine now but for the price I'd consider skipping these cards if you have a 560 or I'd look to AMD for gpu in the same range that dont come with such an choke.
  34. loops said:
    I'd hold off or go AMD at this point. I have 2 560s in sli and have used a single 560. Its a card that can get by for now. The issue I have with the 660/660 ti is the memory chokes. The card is fine now but for the price I'd consider skipping these cards if you have a 560 or I'd look to AMD for gpu in the same range that dont come with such an choke.

True..I have a 660ti and im not feeling the memory bandwidth to well
  35. Thanks everyone for your answers

may be i will wait for a bit longer
    cause for now i can play Battlefield 3 , Medal of Honor Warfighter and FarCry 3 Maxed out and everything is smooth (50 Fps - 70 Fps)

Whats the best ATI card with same price?
  36. Mesbahi said:
    Thanks everyone for your answers

may be i will wait for a bit longer
    cause for now i can play Battlefield 3 , Medal of Honor Warfighter and FarCry 3 Maxed out and everything is smooth (50 Fps - 70 Fps)

Whats the best ATI card with same price?

I think your making the best choice..The more frames you have on a gpu the more you can do with higher settings resolution and such
  37. I'll second...third..whatever the vote for waiting.
    I had a 560 TI that was working perfectly fine and OC'd well.
    I sold it thinking I was going to buy a 7950 then realized it just wasn't smart to spend $300 on a card now with the 8xxx / 7xx cards coming out fairly soon.
    Wait for the next gen to come out and get one or at least buy the current gen at a far cheaper price when the next gen comes out.
    I should have kept the 560 Ti but found an HD 5870 Vapor X OC on craigslist to hold me over.
  38. 7870!
  39. ibjeepr said:
    I'll second...third..whatever the vote for waiting.
    I had a 560 TI that was working perfectly fine and OC'd well.
    I sold it thinking I was going to buy a 7950 then realized it just wasn't smart to spend $300 on a card now with the 8xxx / 7xx cards coming out fairly soon.
    Wait for the next gen to come out and get one or at least buy the current gen at a far cheaper price when the next gen comes out.
    I should have kept the 560 Ti but found an HD 5870 Vapor X OC on craigslist to hold me over.

I think buying a gpu all together even to hold you over isnt a good idea..Just wait it out because when you buy that current gpu and then you buy the next gen you going to end up selling the old card and value goes down so it would be a waste of time and money..If you going to still buy a 600 series after 700s come out thats cool but atleast you waited and know what the specs is looking like
  40. crisan_tiberiu said:
    I have a GTX 460 1GB/256 bit from asus and i am in doubt that i need to upgrade to the 660ti, even if the benchmark numbers show about 40% improvement. Hell, i can play everything @ 1080p @ high/ultra with custom settings so whats the point :P, but thats just me :)

what would that "everything" be and is it in DX10/11? and what's the rest of your hardware and at what resolution?
  41. determinologyz said:
    I think buying a gpu all together even to hold you over isnt a good idea..Just wait it out because when you buy that current gpu and then you buy the next gen you going to end up selling the old card and value goes down so it would be a waste of time and money..If you going to still buy a 600 series after 700s come out thats cool but atleast you waited and know what the specs is looking like

Well I had to buy something to hold me over. I wasn't going to game on integrated graphics. Otherwise, ya, what you said is the same recommendation I gave.
  42. Mesbahi said:
    and my Resolution is 1600 x 900

you wouldn't need anything bigger than the 660 you listed.
  43. if you want more fps now, 660 is great, and it is significantly faster than a 560. expecially at you 1600x900. I can play all games at max settings on my 660 at 1080p.
  44. I have a gtx 660, way better than the 560, like 20 to even 40 fps more on games.
  45. what do you think about upgrading my CPU or Motherboard?
    i am thinking about i7 for now or getting a better motherboard (Mine is z68AP-3d)
  46. If it's for gaming, getting the current i7 cpus are quite pointless. I'd say you don't have to upgrade just yet. With your current config and for games, all you need to upgrade is the graphics card. At least, wait and see what Haswell has to offer. The i5-2300 is still going strong.
  47. thanks EzioAs
    i should wait for sometime now ;)
  48. y is no one saying to just get another 560 in sli if u have the setups power wise an a graphics slot that's pci 16x??
    a 660 will cost like $150 or more,not worth it for %15-30 better.if u get another 560 sli its arounf the strength of a 580,an better then a 660 I believe.an it would only cost u like $60 ort lil more on ebay :-)
    that's what im doing ,or ina month when price goes down even more

also no one mentioned that a 770 or 760 is gonna be like $300+ :-/
  49. Keep in mind the 700 series is basically a name change. The 760ti will use the gk104 core just like the current 660ti but probably clocked a bit higher. I found this announcement rather disappointing. I've been waiting for the new generation of cards and all we get under $500 is the same old same old.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Motherboards Graphics