[Solved] GPU Temp Questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmiac-97

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hello guys,

Before i start, i'd like to tell you guys my rig first. I am using a Sapphire 7970 HD w/DualX fan.

Recently, when playing Black Ops 2 Single Player (Maxed out settings) , it seems like the temperature is hitting as high as near 55ish to 60?

Is the temp normal while gaming?? Motherboard stops below 45 degrees celsius, while CPU is even lower, at about 37. GPU is at constant 40 and below while browsing or idle. Fan speed is at 70% manual.

One more question, when i touch the back of the Sharkoon T28 Casing, it doesn't feel near 50ish. But the CCC, Gamebooster, Sapphire Trixx shows the same amount of temp!! How does 50 degrees celsius feels like??

Note: I did not OC the GPU nor the CPU, it is at it's stock.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Solution

60 degrees may seem hot to us, but to integrated circuits that's a nice afternoon breeze. Part of the semiconductor fabrication process involves baking the chip at hundreds of degrees in order to activate the electrons in the doped silicon. 60 degrees is absolutely nothing in...

The 7970 can handle temperatures well above 90 degrees and is designed to do so, 60 degrees under gaming conditions is actually rather cool. There's nothing to worry about here.

zmiac-97

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks a lot guys, i guess i am just a little too worried here.

Razer Gamebooster, Catalyst CC as well as Sapphire Trixx, MSI Afterburner reports all at the same temperature, but the back of the case just doesn't feel that right..

I hope what PinHedd said is true :D If it hits around 70ish, i'd rush to the hardware shop asap. :\

Does you guys encounter such issues?? When you touch the back of the casing and it feels a warmer that it actually is??..

60 degrees may seem hot to us, but to integrated circuits that's a nice afternoon breeze. Part of the semiconductor fabrication process involves baking the chip at hundreds of degrees in order to activate the electrons in the doped silicon. 60 degrees is absolutely nothing in comparison. The reason most chips will fail at high temperatures is that the solder used to connect the chip to the package will start to melt, but chips are designed with this in mind and will automatically shut off if they come too close to this point.

I have two 7970s myself, they both regularly operate in the 80s range

Solution

zmiac-97

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Thanks, you deserve the best answer. Thanks a lot for replying, i am really new in the PC Hardwares community :)

Status
Not open for further replies.