Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which version of windows 8 to buy

Last response: in Windows 8
February 5, 2013 8:44:31 PM

Im currently running Windows 8 pro upgrade. (Vista full version) and I would like to buy a copy of Windows 8 Pro full version so that I don't have to deal with the Vista disc if I don't want or if I sell the whole PC with the software.

Which version of Windows 8 should I get?
Newegg only lists Upgrade and OEM. I hear there is also a system builder version.

Since I build my own PC's I would like to be able to keep the same windows disc when I build a new system every 2 years or so.

More about : version windows buy

February 5, 2013 8:48:00 PM

Don't get the OEM (same as system builder) version because you can only use that on one computer. Get the normal version . That way you can transfer it. You can only use the upgrade if you already have windows installed on the computer.
Score
February 5, 2013 8:51:29 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Don't get the OEM (same as system builder) version because you can only use that on one computer. Get the normal version . That way you can transfer it. You can only use the upgrade if you already have windows installed on the computer.

What is the "normal" version?

I've only seen Upgrade and OEM on Newegg. Amazon lists a System Builder version. I've never seen a normal version.
Score
Related resources
February 5, 2013 8:53:02 PM

Err retail version.
---

Actually there are no "retail version" of windows 8. I guess you are stcuk with the system/oem versions. You will have to buy a new key if you change motherboard.

You can always call them and ask if you can transfer it. They allow it if your mobo burns.
Score
February 5, 2013 8:53:25 PM

its called retail version
Score
February 5, 2013 9:03:01 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Actually, Microsoft has changed their tune with Windows 8 OEM. You can now legally install it on a computer that you do not intend to sell, and you can keep the license and transfer it to a new computer as long as you uninstalled it from the previous one.

Read the new OEM Win8 license terms here:

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 5, 2013 9:07:52 PM

The "normal" version is retail and very expensive. You wouldn't want that, as system builder/OEM would easily be half the cost. Yes its locked to the system its installed on but who cares. It needs an OS. But that's irrelevant because there is NO "normal"/retail version of windows 8 anyway.

Now, on to your "issue". You don't have one. Every upgrade version of windows has allowed clean installs. The windows 8 license replaces the vista license. There its no reason to ever mess with vista again. If you want to reinstall you pop in your windows 8 disk,wipe the drive and reinstall. granted if you didn't burn a disk the first time you'll have to mess around to redownload from Microsoft but you'd have to do that anyway

If you buy another copy you are literally throwing money away. You already have a license
Score

Best solution

February 5, 2013 9:21:39 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Don't get the OEM (same as system builder) version because you can only use that on one computer.
Azn Cracker said:
You will have to buy a new key if you change motherboard.

You can always call them and ask if you can transfer it. They allow it if your mobo burns.
unksol said:
The "normal" version is retail and very expensive. You wouldn't want that, as system builder/OEM would easily be half the cost. Yes its locked to the system its installed on but who cares.

From Microsoft regarding Windows 8 System Builder:

Quote:
Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

Changing a motherboard no longer matters. A system builder license is no longer locked to the first system you install it on. Stop spreading misinformation please. Windows 7 and prior had the limitations being referenced in this thread. Windows 8 has an updated licensing agreement.
February 6, 2013 12:29:58 AM

unksol said:
The "normal" version is retail and very expensive. You wouldn't want that, as system builder/OEM would easily be half the cost. Yes its locked to the system its installed on but who cares. It needs an OS. But that's irrelevant because there is NO "normal"/retail version of windows 8 anyway.

Now, on to your "issue". You don't have one. Every upgrade version of windows has allowed clean installs. The windows 8 license replaces the vista license. There its no reason to ever mess with vista again. If you want to reinstall you pop in your windows 8 disk,wipe the drive and reinstall. granted if you didn't burn a disk the first time you'll have to mess around to redownload from Microsoft but you'd have to do that anyway

If you buy another copy you are literally throwing money away. You already have a license

Sorry I probably wasn't clear. I agree with you that I already have a license and I have already done a clean install with my Upgrade disk. My question was more along the lines of the last part of my post in regards to selling Vista and the Win 8 upgrade disk with the old computer then buying a Win 8 full copy. Then which version of the Win 8 to buy that will transfer to new PC's as I build them every 2 years or so.

rwpritchett said:
From Microsoft regarding Windows 8 System Builder:

Quote:
Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

Changing a motherboard no longer matters. A system builder license is no longer locked to the first system you install it on. Stop spreading misinformation please. Windows 7 and prior had the limitations being referenced in this thread. Windows 8 has an updated licensing agreement.

So is Windows 8 System Builder the same as Windows 8 OEM?
I find it odd that Newegg only sells OEM and Upgrade while Amazon only sells System Builder and Upgrade.
Score
February 13, 2013 12:47:02 PM

Best answer selected by ibjeepr.
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 14, 2013 10:49:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Score
!