Closed Solved

Computer Turns On, but NO Display on Monitor

Hi guys,

I just started my PC after a while & it turns ON, lights turn on, but there is NO Display on Monitor.

I did some research on Google about this issue & did a few things.

1). I removed all the hardware, except processor & power supply. Turned On, but same issue.
2). I tried after removing ram, & then by switching ram slot, but still no use.
3). I removed my HD 3450 512MB graphics card & plugged monitor in Built-In Monitor port & Vica versa (In Graphics Card), but no use.
4). I removed hard disk & DVD rom & changed their power cords, but no use.
5). I removed the computer cord, & pressed & hold the "ON" button for 30 to 60 seconds, but no use.

It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but then I turned on & it was not working anymore. By the way, when I turned on it acted a little weird before going dark. Actually when I turned on, it took a long time to get to display & then window was also working weird, then I restarted a couple of time & I though it was my hard disk, (who sometimes have power cord issue that works fine if we change it, but its not that).

Any idea how to fix this issue or what is wrong with my computer?

Thanks.
73 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer turns display monitor
  1. Best answer
    If trying onboard display (connecting the monitor to the mobo back panel) still not having any display could be serious problems....

try clearing cmos and try onboard VGA again (the dedicated not installed) ... if it still
    no display, it could be the mobo died, or the monitor died...
  2. rdc85 said:
    If trying onboard display (connecting the monitor to the mobo back panel) still not having any display could be serious problems....

try clearing cmos and try onboard VGA again (the dedicated not installed) ... if it still

OK. Please tell me, How to Clear CMOS?
  3. First unplug/disconnect all power source for all device (monitor, speaker, cpu, etc....)

In the mobo there a silver coin like battery (CMOS battery), remove it for 5 min.. (make sure no device is connected to power source/electricity)

Then re-install it after 5 minutes...

it will clear CMOS and reset the bios setting to it's default state (factory setting)....
  4. rdc85 said:
    First unplug/disconnect all power source for all device (monitor, speaker, cpu, etc....)

In the mobo there a silver coin like battery (CMOS battery), remove it for 5 min.. (make sure no device is connected to power source/electricity)

it will clear CMOS and reset the bios setting to it's default state (factory setting)....

Oh well, I did this. I pulled the small battery out for 10-15 minutes. Then pushed the ON button a couple of times. Put the battery back in & turned it on, but still no display. :(
  5. I'm afraid this out of my league,...

After clearing cmos and using integrated/onboard graphic still do not post indicate more serius problems...

I think the mobo is dead, but I'm cannot said it for sure.....
  6. are you useing a GPU use on board graphics to install the driver cd that came with your gpu then your good to go and make sure integrated graphics are enabled in the bios mate
  7. I once had a problem like this, i had shipped my new desktop from my homeplace to my college, i tried pretty much everything that you listed and maybe more, in the end i gave it to one of the it guys at my college, he said the motherboard got shocked, got that swapped out and been running fine since then
  8. rdc85 said:
    I'm afraid this out of my league,...

After clearing cmos and using integrated/onboard graphic still do not post indicate more serius problems...

I think the mobo is dead, but I'm cannot said it for sure.....

Something interesting happened today. I took it to a local motherboard repair center, they plugged in & pushed the button, it actually gave the Display, BUT just the Display of the MSI Welcome Screen & stuck their. It didn't proceeded. The tech guy check it with my Graphics Card and then with Onboard vga, same thing happened both times and display showed up & stuck at the MSI welcome screen. No Keyboard input worked or no Setup or BIOS entry.

I told the guy to check the board & he highlighted its overheating.

Any thoughts on this one? What could be the Problem then?
  9. Looks like the mobo is faulty...

it hard to pin point the problems it could be one component in the board fail, it could be the heat sink is loosened, etc...

If changing the mobo fix the issue then I think that the best solution...
    it will quite hard to fix failed mobo....
  10. rdc85 said:
    Looks like the mobo is faulty...

it hard to pin point the problems it could be one component in the board fail, it could be the heat sink is loosened, etc...

If changing the mobo fix the issue then I think that the best solution...
    it will quite hard to fix failed mobo....

Yes, I think I should replace the mobo. Even if it works, I've doubts it will support the Upgraded processor I'm planning to get for it.

Thanks.
  11. Best answer selected by bruce20.
  12. When I had this I just got done putting a new processor in. When I took it off the pins were bent on the processor. When I put them back to normal and put it back in it worked fine. The pins are very delegate.
  13. rdc85 said:
    First unplug/disconnect all power source for all device (monitor, speaker, cpu, etc....)

14. Turn off ur pc remove the cmos battery first, then short it by the help of a screw driver(u can see a silver metal with positive and negative, short them)
    Then clean ur ram(remember u must very careful while inserting ram)
    Then switch on ur computer a black screen asking Cmos time and so and so automatically it moves to ur desktop screen after that by turning off again u can insert cmos battery and on ur PC again and adjust the time...when desktop screen appears again...
  15. bruce20 said:
    rdc85 said:

>> REMOVE CMOS BATTERY FOR 10 SEC then put it BACK then try to open ng unit your CMOS now WAS RESET...
  16. rdc85 said:

17. bruce20 said:
    rdc85 said:

in motherboard there is a small jumper with three identical pins. just unplug the jumper and replug it...
  18. Try changing the RAMs it worked for me , RAM faulty ..
  19. I got confused?

is it solved or not? I think the answer is OP mobo is dead/faulty...
  20. For me it solved , as soon as I replace the RAM the display was back on .. Maybe you could give a try .
  21. I mean for OP Bruce20..
  22. My computer had a very similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty PSU. It sometimes would boot up for 15 min, then it would freeze. After a restart there was no way to get a display again.

Hope this helps.
  23. bruce20 said:
    rdc85 said:

To clear CMOS remove a hardware that looks like a Lithium cell battery. Then put it back again.
  24. bruce20 said:
    Hi guys,

I just started my PC after a while & it turns ON, lights turn on, but there is NO Display on Monitor.

1). I removed all the hardware, except processor & power supply. Turned On, but same issue.
    3). I removed my HD 3450 512MB graphics card & plugged monitor in Built-In Monitor port & Vica versa (In Graphics Card), but no use.
    5). I removed the computer cord, & pressed & hold the "ON" button for 30 to 60 seconds, but no use.

It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but then I turned on & it was not working anymore. By the way, when I turned on it acted a little weird before going dark. Actually when I turned on, it took a long time to get to display & then window was also working weird, then I restarted a couple of time & I though it was my hard disk, (who sometimes have power cord issue that works fine if we change it, but its not that).

Thanks.
  25. unplug HDD and blow...
    remove RAM clean...
    remove CMOS...
    then run the PC...

set the time on BIOS

i just run my PC and its working as it was new...
  26. I read all these reviews and tried almost any one of them and it didn't work. If you are like me and none of those work what I did was I changed the PCI port location and moved it to a different motherboard. This worked like a charm.
    Hope this helps!
  27. I also have the same problem. I have tried all of this but I don't got my pc started. When I place the graphics card (gt 630) in my pc then the pc starts beeping. And I just have 1 PCI slot. Please do something. I have this problem 3 months ago and still have the problem. I take it to the repair shop but they also say that they don't have any idea about the pc's problem. The mobo is Intel DB85FL. My pc cost me about $1100. My problem is no display.
  28. Please answer me that what to do. Please answer me please.
  29. @John Son

Better start new thread so more people can see/help..

Just try using/install only case, PSU, mother board, and processor, 1 stick memory/ram (with igp, connect the monitor via mobo)..

Try turn it on, if it fine then try adding vga card and switch the monitor cable to the vga instead of mobo..
    if it fine then ok u done, if it not then the vga is problematic try with another one/rma...

If just using minimum case, psu, mobo, proc, ram cannot start from start then one of those component is problematic..

can only be tested by replace/test each of them with another one till we find the one that caused the problem..
    it's better go to repair shop where they usually has spare part for testing...

edit: try another repair shop, not judging the shop but it's seems strange..
  30. Hi all, I have the same problem.

My computer was working fine before I changed the CPU cooler (stock AMD 8320 one was noisy) so I bought an EVO 212.

I replaced the cooler and switched it on. Lights on but no display? I have used it on the HDMI port on the graphics card (Sapphire R9 280) since I bought all the parts and put it together about 4 months ago.

I have taken the ram, and graphics card out and put them back in and unplugged different wires and put them back in but no joy.

I have tried connecting a monitor with the blue VGA wire thinking it might have re set itself but nothing.

When I connect it to my usual TV by HDMI, it says "no signal", but if I unplug the HDMI cable from the graphics card the tv displays "no cable connected" so my Samsung TV knows something is connected but no display.

This was my first PC build so I'm no tech guy and would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some guidance.

Many thanks

Sam
  31. I had the same problem last night, computer screen went blank in the middle of a game and the monitor was showing "no signal" so I went through all the steps on the sticky post as it seems you have too. My motherboard was still getting power and the cpu and gpu fans were still spinning when I pressed power, just no signal to the screen.

3 hours later I got mine to work after I unplugged the ram and booting up the computer with only 1 stick of ram installed on the left slot as my mobo has only 2 ram slots. After I got it working with only 1 ram installed, I plugged in the other and it was still working. Occasionally it still blanks out with 2 ram sticks installed causing me to have to rinse and repeat.

Have you tried booting up with only 1 stick of ram?
  32. bruce20 said:
    Hi guys,

Thanks.
  33. Hi folks, so I took all cables out last night and removed the graphics card. I put on my little computer speaker into the motherboard and booted it up but still no signal and no noises from the speaker.

I took the aftermarket cooler off and put the original back on, but still no signal going to the tv.

I have tried booting the computer with just 1 stick of 4gb ram installed but you guessed it, no signal!

I have tried everything I can without having any spare parts to try and compare with, I am now officially lost.

I hope you get somewhere with yours mate.

Cheers.
  34. bruce20 said:
    Hi guys,

Thanks.
  35. I think the problem is BIOS crashed so replace the bios os it will be k. I had this same problem a month ago
  36. I bought new mobo and procie but same problem happened again no display appeared on monitor.Then our technician found out whats the real problem, the resolution doesnt fit in my lcd monitor because my procie is APU. So be sure if you have an APU procie, your monitor should be fit or can handle high resolution. I bought a new monitor to replaced the old one, problem solved.
  37. Hi all

I have the same issue but when i unplug the hard disk and replug it, everything is ok. I have to do that every day . Is there any solution for it???
  38. rdc85 said:

39. bruce20 said:
    Hi guys,

Thanks.
  40. Remove the CPU cover
    Remove the RAM
    Rub it with an eraser (to remove any moisture)
    Put back the RAM
    Close the CPU cover
    Turn on the PC
    It worked for me
    Hopefully, it will work for you too :)
  41. This occurred to my old pc and now my recent one, it's due to dust stopping the fan turning round in the monitor connection (I have 3 fans in my computer).
    A simple open up of the computer and hoover out of the inners sorts out the problem - honestly try it :-)
  42. I also have same problem with my computer even i tried everything but no solution till now
  43. i just try all the solution
    remove ram or replace ram
    or clean the ram using eraser, not working
    remove hard disk, remove ram, remove video card, no display
    add thermal paste to processor, not working still no display
    clear CMOS battery, no display also
    when I try to replace CMOS battery, it works..

try to replace ur CMOS battery..it works for me..
    hope it works for you..
    thanks..
  44. bruce20 said:
    rdc85 said:

OK. Please tell me, How to Clear Cms?
  45. rdc85 said:

This worked for me thnx alot .
  46. My version of this bugbear was the monitor of my Aspire E1-510 shutting down after the BIOS display with the adaptor plugged in, and reappearing when the cable was removed. The computer in the meantime had continued to run. This, together with recently having updated to Windows 10, made my tech guy think that the issue was not electrical but some incompatibility with Windows 10. I was on the point of leaving him the machine for reformatting but since it was just a couple of days before Christmas I held out and then discovered that if I drained the battery completely and totally the problem would not repeat itself at the next bootstrap, provided also I didn't remove the cable. In addition to this solution being applied too few times to be reliable, albeit successful each time, I also realise that it's heath robinson at best and at worst stops the root cause being discovered,, but I'm still thowing it into the ring in the hope that some one more experienced in in tackling laptop neuroses discover tjhe holy graal. Thanks and bestest
  47. my problem is the same. no monitor. but when i use my phone with the "teamviewer" which lets me use the computer from anywhere in the world, shows the screen and i can do any and all jobs and apps. frustrating finding an answer.
  48. Garry_6 said:
    my problem is the same. no monitor. but when i use my phone with the "teamviewer" which lets me use the computer from anywhere in the world, shows the screen and i can do any and all jobs and apps. frustrating finding an answer.

we have same problem
  49. Having the same problem right now with my second PC, Also I noticed that dvd/cd mechanics are somehow "stuck" and when i try to push the eject button, one of them goes out only 15% and then back immediatelly. I've been struggling with that all day, tried everything suggested still just "nope"

plus that "no signal detected" where it all started..
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Monitors Systems Displays