Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my computer build good? Australian build using pccasegear.com

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 25, 2013 6:08:17 AM

Hello, im looking at buying and assembling a custom build and so far from talking to friends i have a pretty solid build but i'd like to ask you btw this is my first build and i dont want to go over about $1700 AUD with peripherals

CPU - Intel core i7 3770k
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-M pro
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660ti 2gb OC
PSU - CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W Power Supply
Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
SSD - SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 2tb
ODD - Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS SATA DVDRW Drive OEM

Thanks :) 

p.s. this will all work in an Antec Nine Hundred two V3 and have good airflow?
February 25, 2013 6:12:23 AM

looks good...you could get the i5 cpu and use some of the savings for a 670 gpu or a better ssd. look into an intel or a 840 pro ssd. the 840 does cost a few dollars more but has better firmware them most of these rebranded drives.
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 6:14:23 AM

what are the advantages of an intel or a 840 pro ssd? and thanks for the ideas
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 25, 2013 6:14:46 AM

For gaming I would drop the CPU down to a i5 3570k
7870XT is a way better buy unless you absolutely need CUDA or PhysX
Included a cooler for the CPU
Cheaper ram (ram is $3 more at pccasegear)

Any particular reason to go mATX?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M PRO Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.00 @ Foxcomp)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1033.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-25 19:14 EST+1100)

jwn04 said:
what are the advantages of an intel or a 840 pro ssd? and thanks for the ideas


The 840 pro will be faster but the biggest difference really is going from an HDD to really, any SSD
Share
February 25, 2013 6:21:17 AM

stickmansam said:
For gaming I would drop the CPU down to a i5 3570k
7870XT is a way better buy unless you absolutely need CUDA or PhysX
Included a cooler for the CPU
Cheaper ram (ram is $3 more at pccasegear)

Any particular reason to go mATX?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M PRO Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.00 @ Foxcomp)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1033.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-25 19:14 EST+1100)



The 840 pro will be faster but the biggest difference really is going from an HDD to really, any SSD



Is having CUDA and PhysX an advantage or is it more of a novelty thing?
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 6:26:30 AM

CUDA only helps in applications where OpenCL is not supported (but more and more apps support OpenCL) and generally only used for high end animation or CAD stuff, Video encoding usually supports OpenCL and CUDA or DXVA
Latest phtoshop also supports OpenCL and CUDA afaik

PhsyX is a way to run physX on the GPU instead of the cpu(which is how most games run them) and is only used on certain games
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/PhysX/pc-gam...
Might want to see if the game you like is on there and how it looks with phsyx on or off

I personally dislike proprietary features so yes I personally would call them a novelty esp physX (also I don't really like any of the games with PhysX anyways so :p )
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 6:28:15 AM

stickmansam said:
CUDA only helps in applications where OpenCL is not supported (but more and more apps support OpenCL) and generally only used for high end animation or CAD stuff, Video encoding usually supports OpenCL and CUDA or DXVA
Latest phtoshop also supports OpenCL and CUDA afaik

PhsyX is a way to run physX on the GPU instead of the cpu(which is how most games run them) and is only used on certain games
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/PhysX/pc-gam...
Might want to see if the game you like is on there and how it looks with phsyx on or off

I personally dislike proprietary features so yes I personally would call them a novelty esp physX (also I don't really like any of the games with PhysX anyways so :p )


Thanks :)  you've been a great help
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 9:46:27 AM

Best answer selected by jwn04.
m
0
l
!