Nokia 6016i from SprintPCS

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Sorry about the cross posting. I just got a new Nokia phone (model 6016i)
from a local Sprint PCS store. I have a DKU-5 cable (USB) and have PC Suite
version 5.1 CD. I went to Nokia website downloaded PC Suite version 6.5.

I am using Windows XP SP2.

After installing DKU-5 driver (USB to Serial driver), DKU-5 "adapter driver"
from the Nokia website, and PC Suite version 6.5. I was able to detect the
phone. However, as soon as I try to synchronize the phone and the computer
(or any form of data transmission), I would loose the connection.

My questions are:
1. Does the Nokia phone from Sprint work with the standard Nokia software?
2. Should I use the older version of software (PC Suite version 5.1) that
comes with the DKU-5 cable?
3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Danny
8 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6016i sprintpcs
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Danny Lin wrote:

    > 1. Does the Nokia phone from Sprint work with the standard Nokia software?

    Probably. However, PCS Vision access by a computer connected to a phone is
    specifically prohibited by Sprint's Vision terms of use, and Sprint can
    probably detect that you're using a phone and not a data card, and may be
    doing so and not allowing you to use the service in that manner.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Thank you for your response, Steve. I do not have PCS Vision on my service
    plan. I am not sure if the phone is PCS Vision ready. My objectives are very
    simple:
    1: to make a backup (and possible update) of my contact via a computer. It
    took me more than 6 hours to manually key in the information via the phone.
    2: to use the phone as a modem so when I don't have Wi-Fi access or near a
    analog phone jack, I can still get online with my laptop.

    I know that the phone can somehow connected to a computer. What I am not
    sure is that the Sprint PCS technician uses standard Nokia software or a
    Sprint customized software.

    Any input is highly appreciated.

    > Danny Lin wrote:
    >
    >> 1. Does the Nokia phone from Sprint work with the standard Nokia
    >> software?
    >
    > Probably. However, PCS Vision access by a computer connected to a phone is
    > specifically prohibited by Sprint's Vision terms of use, and Sprint can
    > probably detect that you're using a phone and not a data card, and may be
    > doing so and not allowing you to use the service in that manner.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    > Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the
    > temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)
    >
    > "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Danny Lin wrote:
    > Thank you for your response, Steve. I do not have PCS Vision on my service
    > plan. I am not sure if the phone is PCS Vision ready. My objectives are very
    > simple:
    > 1: to make a backup (and possible update) of my contact via a computer. It
    > took me more than 6 hours to manually key in the information via the phone.
    > 2: to use the phone as a modem so when I don't have Wi-Fi access or near a
    > analog phone jack, I can still get online with my laptop.

    Not sure why #1 wouldn't work, but I can tell you that #2 definitely
    won't. The 6016i is NOT a Vision phone. This means that it is not
    capable of a data connection. You'll need a Vision phone for that.

    If you absolutely want to do this, then you'll have to trade in your
    Nokia for something like a Sanyo RL-4920 or VI-2300, and get the
    appropriate cables for those phones (they can be had at RadioShack for
    under $25). The drivers can be had at:

    http://www.futuredial.com/support/download/USB_Drivers.htm

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Hi is not trying to do data with the phone. He is not trying to do theathed
    data, he is not trying to do dial up networking etc..

    I have a nokia 6015i on Telecoms CDMA netowrk in NZ, and I can use it to
    sync the my contacts etc.
    I had a issue like yours, and it was a cable fault. The DKU-5 was an after
    market cable of ebay. I went and got a nokia DKU-5 and it was fine.

    Prehaps it is a cable issue?

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > Danny Lin wrote:
    >> Thank you for your response, Steve. I do not have PCS Vision on my
    >> service plan. I am not sure if the phone is PCS Vision ready. My
    >> objectives are very simple:
    >> 1: to make a backup (and possible update) of my contact via a computer.
    >> It took me more than 6 hours to manually key in the information via the
    >> phone.
    >> 2: to use the phone as a modem so when I don't have Wi-Fi access or near
    >> a analog phone jack, I can still get online with my laptop.
    >
    > Not sure why #1 wouldn't work, but I can tell you that #2 definitely
    > won't. The 6016i is NOT a Vision phone. This means that it is not
    > capable of a data connection. You'll need a Vision phone for that.
    >
    > If you absolutely want to do this, then you'll have to trade in your Nokia
    > for something like a Sanyo RL-4920 or VI-2300, and get the appropriate
    > cables for those phones (they can be had at RadioShack for under $25).
    > The drivers can be had at:
    >
    > http://www.futuredial.com/support/download/USB_Drivers.htm
    >

    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    The OP wrote:

    >>>2: to use the phone as a modem so when I don't have Wi-Fi access or near
    >>>a analog phone jack, I can still get online with my laptop.

    Sounds like he wants data to me.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Syncing his phonebooks/contacts with his desktop/laptop has nothing to do
    with the network.
    He does not need coverage, he does not even need to be in the states.

    All he wants to do is copy the phonebook from his handset to his PC.

    A Dial update connection using #777 should not work.

    > Frank Sams wrote:
    >> Hi is not trying to do data with the phone. He is not trying to do
    >> theathed data, he is not trying to do dial up networking etc..

    > Sounds like he wants data to me.
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > Danny Lin wrote:
    >> Thank you for your response, Steve. I do not have PCS Vision on my service
    >> plan. I am not sure if the phone is PCS Vision ready. My objectives are very
    >> simple:
    >> 1: to make a backup (and possible update) of my contact via a computer. It
    >> took me more than 6 hours to manually key in the information via the phone.
    >> 2: to use the phone as a modem so when I don't have Wi-Fi access or near a
    >> analog phone jack, I can still get online with my laptop.
    >
    > Not sure why #1 wouldn't work, but I can tell you that #2 definitely
    > won't. The 6016i is NOT a Vision phone. This means that it is not
    > capable of a data connection. You'll need a Vision phone for that.

    Aren't non-Vision phones able to get the Wireless Web option for
    $5 per month? That's what I had until I got a Vision phone.

    --
    John Richards
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Frank Sams wrote:
    > Syncing his phonebooks/contacts with his desktop/laptop has nothing to do
    > with the network.
    > He does not need coverage, he does not even need to be in the states.
    >
    > All he wants to do is copy the phonebook from his handset to his PC.
    >
    > A Dial update connection using #777 should not work

    let me quote AGAIN:

    He want's to get online. While pushing objects might be one
    requirement, online DUN is a clear and distinct requirement that he
    specified in addition.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Nokia Phones Product