Achyuthan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello,Whenever I play any graphically demanding game like NFS:MW 2012 or Darksiders or Black Ops 2 the GPU temperature immediately shoots up to upwards of 90C. My computer has 4 GB DDR3 RAM and a 2 GB nVidia gt 540m graphics card and is more than capable of running the mentioned games but for some reason the temperature shoots up the game begins to lag a black screen appears and the Laptop just powers off. The laptop is just 6 months old as well. Could you mention the possible reason for this problem and the solutions for it as well.Oh and the model is a Lenovo Z570I have read on the internet that it might be due to dust and on some other places it is some hardware problems.

Achyuthan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

So it is not any hardware problem is it. There is this option called dedust that increases the speed of the fan and i have used this several times but it doesnt work. Should i remove the bottom panel and remove the dust manually?

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Place the laptop in such a way that the bottom exhaust is in the air. It could be that the GPU isn't getting enough fresh air. A friend of mine's laptop what shutting down on him because due to overheating and when he did the aforementioned the problem was gone. Not saying that it will work for sure, but it's worth a try...

Don't worry.

Laptop GPUs are more likely to run a whole lot hotter than Desktop GPUs.

I'm also using my laptop right now for gaming, because I just got my money back from my gaming desktop.

My Radeon 6770m also hits temperatures around 85 to 90 celsius. It's only because laptops has terrible airflow and are not meant for gaming.

Just make sure your laptop has some space to get free air. Like putting a dvd case at the end of it, so the heat doesn't heat the surface beneath it, so the laptop needs even more cooling. My old laptop did shut down too at times and it helps to do like I just said.

Also, vacuming at the vents does help. I know it's not recommended, but I've done it like 100 times on that laptop, it's 5 years now and my brother are still gaming on it this very day. Just don't do it while it's on and remove the battery to make sure there is no electricity in it while doing so.