Best remote for Replay and...?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
April 30, 2004 8:12:47 PM

I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV, and
DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very tired of
juggling three remotes...

TIA!

More about : remote replay

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:43:57 PM

JustRick thought long and hard, then said...
> I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV, and
> DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very tired of
> juggling three remotes...
>
> TIA!

http://harmonyremote.com/

I've got the 659 and 768 remotes (different rooms), and they are just
fantastic. A bit pricy, but they really do give "one button" simplicity
to managing multiple devices.

The new 688 model looks sleek, but I'd want to try out the circular
button arrangement before I got one.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

Home Theater Master MX500. I love it. Macros, backlit, programmable
labels, up to 10 devices - the works. I have two extras - New In Sealed
Box - for less than dealer cost at $129 each + postage.

From:JustRick
rick@[nospam]broida.com

> I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV,
> and DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very
> tired of juggling three remotes...
>
> TIA!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 1, 2004 9:22:18 AM

Radio Shack 15-2116 works pretty good and it is JP1 compatible so you can
pretty much do anything with it you want.
May 1, 2004 5:24:44 PM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:12:47 -0400, wrote:

> I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV, and
> DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very tired of
> juggling three remotes...
>
> TIA!

How much do you want to spend? How much time do you have? If "$400" and
"a lot" are the answers, a Philips Pronto is the way to go. See:
www.remotecentral.com for reviews on all types of remotes.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

> Best thing is it does not eat batteries (like my OEM Remote for my 5040).

I've had my 5040 for ~1.3 years. I'm still on my original batteries
(Eastpower Extra Heavy Duty) and I use Skip Back, Skip Forward, Pause,
Frame Advance and Catchup... a lot.

I am surprised to read that any of these remotes are battery hogs.

Jeff
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 8:22:32 PM

Same here, and I use mine plenty.

"Jeff Lindstrom" <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Best thing is it does not eat batteries (like my OEM Remote for my
5040).

> I've had my 5040 for ~1.3 years. I'm still on my original batteries
> (Eastpower Extra Heavy Duty) and I use Skip Back, Skip Forward, Pause,
> Frame Advance and Catchup... a lot.
>

> I am surprised to read that any of these remotes are battery hogs.
>

> Jeff

---
May 1, 2004 8:26:02 PM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:12:47 -0400, "JustRick"
<rick@[nospam]broida.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV, and
>DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very tired of
>juggling three remotes...
>
>TIA!

Look into OneforAll remotes. Prehapes the 6131frome bluedo.com
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 10:44:56 PM

On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:22:31 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
<j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

>General Kireiko <douglas@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Best thing is it does not eat batteries (like my OEM Remote for my 5040).
>
> I've had my 5040 for ~1.3 years. I'm still on my original batteries
>(Eastpower Extra Heavy Duty) and I use Skip Back, Skip Forward, Pause,
>Frame Advance and Catchup... a lot.
>

> I am surprised to read that any of these remotes are battery hogs.
>

>Jeff

I haven't had any battery problems yet, but one of my new remotes
(same type as above) quit working (just flashes a few tmes when any
button is pressed). Resetting (removing power) works about 50% of the
time, but the remote fails again after 1-3 button presses.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid

May 1, 2004 11:49:02 PM

Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv,
"JustRick" <rick@[nospam]broida.com> spake unto us, saying:

>I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV, and
>DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very tired of
>juggling three remotes...

I picked up a 5-device Phillips/Magnavox "Learning Universal Remote"
(model PM525S) for around $15 at a local Walgreens, and it works just
fine with my setup (ReplayTV 5040, Sony 5-disc DVD Changer, and dual-
tuner Panasonic 27" TV).

The fact that it'll learn IR codes (meaning you can customize some of
the buttons if you want) is nice -- I've added a few functions to the
ReplayTV keymapping that its default ReplayTV setup didn't have.

I've been quite impressed with it, especially given the price!

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:

> The fact that it'll learn IR codes (meaning you can customize some of
> the buttons if you want) is nice -- I've added a few functions to the
> ReplayTV keymapping that its default ReplayTV setup didn't have.

Such as...?

Jeff
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 6:27:12 AM

Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv,
Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> spake unto us, saying:

>rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
>
>> The fact that it'll learn IR codes (meaning you can customize some of
>> the buttons if you want) is nice -- I've added a few functions to the
>> ReplayTV keymapping that its default ReplayTV setup didn't have.
>
> Such as...?

I mapped the remote's lower + and - keys to the 30-second-skip-forward
and 8-second-skip-backward keys respectively, since I use those heavily
and it didn't seem to have those in its default "ReplayTV" keymapping
in VCR mode (and those buttons seemed to be unmapped in that mode).

That seemed a logical choice for me.

I also remapped the "Input TV/VCR" button to Commercial Advance ON/OFF
Toggle, since I found that function to be more useful.

I may have also moved some other functions around to make things easier
for me to remember. I don't recall -- it has been a few months, its use
is pretty intuitive to me now, and my wife uses the original controller.

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
See web site above for resume/CV and background.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 11:59:14 PM

General Kireiko wrote:
> JustRick <rick@[nospam]broida.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a universal remote that'll work with my Replay, TV,
>> and DVD/receiver. Needs to support macros. Any suggestions? Very
>> tired of juggling three remotes...
>
> Philips Magnovox PMDVR8
>
> Supports 8 devices. ReplayTV built in. Supports 3 Macros.
> $24.99 at Best Buy.
>
> Best thing is it does not eat batteries (like my OEM Remote for my
> 5040).
>
> -Doug

Thanks for the suggestion. I just got one today, and it looks like I
will be very happy with it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math