Older Sidewinder Force Feedback PRO joystick with WinXP???..

June 30, 2005 5:25:07 PM

Sorry, don't mean to rehash old new but I'm stuck. I have an older MS
Sidewinder Force Feedback PRO joystick with DB-15 connector that I use to use
on an older machine with Win98, worked perfect. I now have a new machine
with WinXP, will this joystick work with this OS? I have read several posts
here and I get the impression it should, but after following the instructions
I get a "Missing gameport or gameport driver error message" that reads: Your
gameport or gameport drives are not properly configured. Please consult
devise manager. What does this mean?? Likewise, I have the joystick
connected to the front USB port thru a Belkin DB-15 to USB adapter. The
green LED light on the joystick is on. Thank you. Steve
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:51:20 PM

Steve D. wrote:

> Sorry, don't mean to rehash old new but I'm stuck. I have an older MS
> Sidewinder Force Feedback PRO joystick with DB-15 connector that I use to use
> on an older machine with Win98, worked perfect. I now have a new machine
> with WinXP, will this joystick work with this OS? I have read several posts
> here and I get the impression it should, but after following the instructions
> I get a "Missing gameport or gameport driver error message" that reads: Your
> gameport or gameport drives are not properly configured. Please consult
> devise manager. What does this mean?? Likewise, I have the joystick
> connected to the front USB port thru a Belkin DB-15 to USB adapter. The
> green LED light on the joystick is on. Thank you. Steve

The classic game port was designed to support two analog joysticks and
the Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI). The joystick circuitry
supports two ANALOG axis and two buttons for each of the two sticks.
Many game controllers utilize the circuitry intended for second joystick
to support additional buttons or additional axis (like throttles, brakes
and aircraft rudders). The utilization of the circuitry originally
intended for the second joystick was not consistent between controller
manufacturers.

The joystick circuitry wasn't adequate to support some controller
concepts. "Digital" controllers abandoned the game port's joystick
circuitry to utilize the two way MIDI serial data stream. Digiatl
controlrs include, but are not limited to, force feedback controlers.

Many adapters to operate game port controllers on USB ports only support
the four buttons and ANALOG axis circuitry intended for ANALOG joysticks.

In most late model computers an add on card containing a game port is
normally required to support a digital game port controller. Those cards
are typically a sound card that is also used in the place of the sound
circuitry on the computer's motherboard.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:34:35 PM

Steve,

RobertVA is correct here. Basically you are going to have to make a
decision as to whether you want to spend the money on a soundcard with a
gameport to get your current device to work, or if you want to purchase a
new joystick that is USB. Some things to consider before you make that
decision. Windows XP is the last OS that is going to support gameport
devices. Secondly, the software that you used to use for mapping keys to
buttons was written in .vxd format wich was only supported on Windows 9X
systems and won't work on Windows XP. If you buy a sound card for your
current device you are going to have to rely on "in game" key mapping
abilities.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab (formerly DirectInput)
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> Steve D. wrote:
>
>> Sorry, don't mean to rehash old new but I'm stuck. I have an older MS
>> Sidewinder Force Feedback PRO joystick with DB-15 connector that I use to
>> use on an older machine with Win98, worked perfect. I now have a new
>> machine with WinXP, will this joystick work with this OS? I have read
>> several posts here and I get the impression it should, but after
>> following the instructions I get a "Missing gameport or gameport driver
>> error message" that reads: Your gameport or gameport drives are not
>> properly configured. Please consult devise manager. What does this
>> mean?? Likewise, I have the joystick connected to the front USB port
>> thru a Belkin DB-15 to USB adapter. The green LED light on the joystick
>> is on. Thank you. Steve
>
> The classic game port was designed to support two analog joysticks and the
> Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI). The joystick circuitry
> supports two ANALOG axis and two buttons for each of the two sticks. Many
> game controllers utilize the circuitry intended for second joystick to
> support additional buttons or additional axis (like throttles, brakes and
> aircraft rudders). The utilization of the circuitry originally intended
> for the second joystick was not consistent between controller
> manufacturers.
>
> The joystick circuitry wasn't adequate to support some controller
> concepts. "Digital" controllers abandoned the game port's joystick
> circuitry to utilize the two way MIDI serial data stream. Digiatl
> controlrs include, but are not limited to, force feedback controlers.
>
> Many adapters to operate game port controllers on USB ports only support
> the four buttons and ANALOG axis circuitry intended for ANALOG joysticks.
>
> In most late model computers an add on card containing a game port is
> normally required to support a digital game port controller. Those cards
> are typically a sound card that is also used in the place of the sound
> circuitry on the computer's motherboard.

July 1, 2005 1:15:05 PM

So It sounds like I'm in need of a newer up to date USB joystick. Are all
USB controllers (ie MS's Force Feedback 2) compatible with WinXP? I guess
this explains why the MS FF pro's that are on ebay aren't selling for much
money. Thank you for your help and quick response. Steve

"Steve D." wrote:

> Sorry, don't mean to rehash old new but I'm stuck. I have an older MS
> Sidewinder Force Feedback PRO joystick with DB-15 connector that I use to use
> on an older machine with Win98, worked perfect. I now have a new machine
> with WinXP, will this joystick work with this OS? I have read several posts
> here and I get the impression it should, but after following the instructions
> I get a "Missing gameport or gameport driver error message" that reads: Your
> gameport or gameport drives are not properly configured. Please consult
> devise manager. What does this mean?? Likewise, I have the joystick
> connected to the front USB port thru a Belkin DB-15 to USB adapter. The
> green LED light on the joystick is on. Thank you. Steve
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:21:56 PM

Steve D. wrote:

> So It sounds like I'm in need of a newer up to date USB joystick. Are all
> USB controllers (ie MS's Force Feedback 2) compatible with WinXP? I guess
> this explains why the MS FF pro's that are on ebay aren't selling for much
> money. Thank you for your help and quick response. Steve

You would probably still run into the incompatable assignment software
issue with ANY of the now discontinued Sidewinder products. You would
find better support with a brand that is still actively marketed by the
manufacturer. There is no certainty that even USB Sidewinder products
will benefit from continued driver support in the next version of Windows.

You don't indicate what applications you are interested in running. If
you are interested in flight simulation you may benefit more from rudder
pedals or a multiple throttle module than force feedback.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:43:02 AM

Ok. I'm mostly interested in playing games like Mechwarrior, etc. Thanks.

!