Installing games without using CD to play the games

Please help me. I am so tired of installing a game from CD and having to use
the CD to play the games. Is there anyone who can tell me how to install a
game from my CD to my computer without having to use the CD to play the game.
I am running Windows XP Pro.
--
sistergirl
4 answers Last reply

    I also don't agree with having to do that. It means you're always putting at
    risk your investment/equity. Don't particularly like the wear and tear on
    the drive opening/closing either.

    If they could somehow come up with some means of controlling how many copies
    were made (e.g. 1 backup only) and that'd work, I'd accept it. An additional
    option I liked is what Codemasters did in CMR2, install full game on first
    pc (but did require original cd at runtime) but could install a "Network
    only" copy on other pc's so people could enjoy the multiplayer without
    everyone needing their own copy.

    That said ...

    What you want is referred to as a "no-cd" crack. Commonly it's a file that
    replaces one of the games installation files (usually main executable but it
    does vary). It's been "hacked" to omit/ignore any cd requirement. A less
    common method is a "patch file". Running this patch file results in specific
    game files being altered, e.g. edited with alternate information being
    written into specific places within the original file. The result is more or
    less the same, you have an altered game that doesn't need a cd to play.

    Cautionary notes :

    Either method means you must run a program that came from some
    non-commercial source. Obvious risk for "god knows what" so ... Some sites
    that provide such downloads (megagames.com is a well known one) tend to be
    ok but still ...

    Many crack/patch files are version dependant. Many are even region
    dependant, e.g. NA/Eur/Jap etc. Often this is a problem if playing with
    friends because if they update their game you may not be able to without
    first re-installing "unpatched" game, update and then patch with another
    version specific patch.

    Hardest circumstance is you sometimes get an update file that will demand to
    see the original cd. If you don't have one, you're stuck, e.g. can't update
    game means may not be able to get fixes for crashing etc. In general, once
    you get it working, one tends to not update game etc. as risk/bother isn't
    worth it (mind, I'm dialup so never play online).

    Sometimes patch doesn't work. Best to make backup of "whatever is getting
    changed" (usually main exe game file) so you an unpatch to try another as
    many times there's more than one choice for patch. Most patches are "signed"
    by who provided/wrote it. After awhile, you'll note some "people" are more
    reliable than others in what works and how.

    Legalities ... ?

    I don't believe my using a no-cd crack to play a game I bought is illegal.
    As I already indicated, I'd accept them allowing a 2nd copy, included with
    original fine by me. Otherwise, I've learned from prior experience that a
    bad cd cannot always be replaced. MS never could replace my version of
    Encarta (last ver worked under Win3.1) when it got a scratch on it. In fact
    I recently commented here that I finally got Final Fantasy VII to run after
    no-go for 5/6 years using a back-up cd crack.

    Clearly using the above info to run a game off a burned copy from a friend
    is illegal.

    Where I get "fuzzy" is when I want to play a game with some friend who's
    dropped by (I own multiple pc's, 2 with ff wheels for racing). I'm not sure
    I can actually put it into words other than it just doesn't seem right that
    I'm expected to pay for two copies of the same game when the 2nd copy is
    never used except during these times.

    "sistergirl" <sistergirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help me. I am so tired of installing a game from CD and having to
    use
    > the CD to play the games. Is there anyone who can tell me how to install
    > game from my CD to my computer without having to use the CD to play the
    game.
    > I am running Windows XP Pro.
    > --
    > sistergirl

    Hi Sistergirl,

    If you have lots of hard disk space then take a look at these tools.

    http://www.alcohol-software.com/

    http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm

    Alcohol can take an image of the CD/DVD in question.

    Daemon can then use that image and trick windows into thinking that the
    image is a Valid CD.

    Having lots of images of CDs on your PC will take up lots of room, that's
    why you will need lots of hard disk space.

    You should only ever take images of CD's that you actualy own otherwise you
    are cheating someone out of money. Taking an image of a CD that you have
    spent your hard earned cash on is totaly legal.

    Cheers

    Dave

    "sistergirl" wrote:

    > Please help me. I am so tired of installing a game from CD and having to use
    > the CD to play the games. Is there anyone who can tell me how to install a
    > game from my CD to my computer without having to use the CD to play the game.
    > I am running Windows XP Pro.
    > --
    > sistergirl

    The latest ver of Alcohol 120 requires activation, in my case this was
    unacceptable. I bought the product 2 years ago and then a month ago I
    found out that they switched to requiring it. Sigh. So if you don't
    like activation like other sane minded people then you'll have to use
    CloneCD or BlindWrite (BlindWrite is the best).....or just use the
    trial of Alcohol to create your image and then use Daemon Tools to
    mount it. ;)

    hodgeda1 wrote:
    > Hi Sistergirl,
    >
    > If you have lots of hard disk space then take a look at these tools.
    >
    > http://www.alcohol-software.com/
    >
    > http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm
    >
    > Alcohol can take an image of the CD/DVD in question.
    >
    > Daemon can then use that image and trick windows into thinking that the
    > image is a Valid CD.
    >
    > Having lots of images of CDs on your PC will take up lots of room, that's
    > why you will need lots of hard disk space.
    >
    > You should only ever take images of CD's that you actualy own otherwise you
    > are cheating someone out of money. Taking an image of a CD that you have
    > spent your hard earned cash on is totaly legal.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "sistergirl" wrote:
    >
    > > Please help me. I am so tired of installing a game from CD and having to use
    > > the CD to play the games. Is there anyone who can tell me how to install a
    > > game from my CD to my computer without having to use the CD to play the game.
    > > I am running Windows XP Pro.
    > > --
    > > sistergirl
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    I've also found that if you are going to use a "virtual cd" (Nero, Alcohol,
    Daemon etc.) that you might as well do a minimum install (if game allows
    option) as at least then there's only "one copy" of most of the game files
    on your hard disk (e.g. incorporated into image on hd anyways so why "copy"
    to game folder). Speeds the same as both are on hd.

    Thanks for heads up about Alcohol's activation scheme, guess they wait as
    what I use now works fine :)

    "DosFreak" <d0sfreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The latest ver of Alcohol 120 requires activation, in my case this was
    > unacceptable. I bought the product 2 years ago and then a month ago I
    > found out that they switched to requiring it. Sigh. So if you don't
    > like activation like other sane minded people then you'll have to use
    > CloneCD or BlindWrite (BlindWrite is the best).....or just use the
    > trial of Alcohol to create your image and then use Daemon Tools to
    > mount it. ;)
    >
    > hodgeda1 wrote:
    > > Hi Sistergirl,
    > >
    > > If you have lots of hard disk space then take a look at these tools.
    > >
    > > http://www.alcohol-software.com/
    > >
    > > http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm
    > >
    > > Alcohol can take an image of the CD/DVD in question.
    > >
    > > Daemon can then use that image and trick windows into thinking that the
    > > image is a Valid CD.
    > >
    > > Having lots of images of CDs on your PC will take up lots of room,
    that's
    > > why you will need lots of hard disk space.
    > >
    > > You should only ever take images of CD's that you actualy own otherwise
    you
    > > are cheating someone out of money. Taking an image of a CD that you have
    > > spent your hard earned cash on is totaly legal.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "sistergirl" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Please help me. I am so tired of installing a game from CD and having
    to use
    > > > the CD to play the games. Is there anyone who can tell me how to
    install a
    > > > game from my CD to my computer without having to use the CD to play
    the game.
    > > > I am running Windows XP Pro.
    > > > --
    > > > sistergirl