Would this GPU OC make any difference?

Marreez

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
I have a Radeon HD 5770 along with an AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.3 Ghz, and i wanna try OC the GPU a bit. Default core clock is at 850 Mhz and default Shader Clock is at 1200 Mhz. I can OC Core clock to 960 Mhz and the Shader clock to 1445 Mhz in MSI Afterburner without messing with the voltage and all those stuff.

How much of a difference would that make in games and the fps on more GPU demanding games like Battlefield 3 for example. Going from 850 -> 960 Mhz Core clock and 1200 -> 1445 Shader clock? I actually did OC the core clock to 960Mhz and the Shader to 1300Mhz and then Battlefield 3. Average temp was about 55° and never went above 60° and never went below 60 fps on High settings at 1280x1024 resolution.

Should i go all the way to 1445 Mhz with the Shader clock along with the Core clock OC to 960 Mhz or should i just not bother with this?

I just want to know, in theory, how much of a difference this OC would actually do in FPS games that are GPU limited? Thanks in advance.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
If a game is GPU limited and remains that way, the performance gains will be linear. If you already OCed in BF3 and are getting a minimum of 60 fps at desired settings, then I don't see any reason to push it any further, but you're ok as far as temps go.

Your core clock oc is about 12% where as memory clock oc is around 17%

this in theory should give you a performance bump of around 10% at the most.
that would translate to around 4-5 fps increase